Page 42 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950515267 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

OK well I found a reader and how to edit the file, how much would you suggest to increase the values?

Quick question:

Awhile ago I actually edited my Kings purse and garrison scripts, can someone upload the files with the default values?
    Last edited by crawfs; July 11, 2014 at 06:42 AM.

Small modding question:

Although I like the fact that this mod is 4 turns per year I am a hopeless turtle. I would like to increase the turns per year to 12. Do I only have to edit the timescale in descr_strat to do this? Does this also fix seasons and generals aging to keep in pace with the new timescale or is there other code elsewhere that I would have to fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Barliman Butterbur View Post
    Small modding question:

Although I like the fact that this mod is 4 turns per year I am a hopeless turtle. I would like to increase the turns per year to 12. Do I only have to edit the timescale in descr_strat to do this? Does this also fix seasons and generals aging to keep in pace with the new timescale or is there other code elsewhere that I would have to fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Yes, in descr_strat edit
    Code:
    timescale    0.25
    to
    Code:
    timescale    0.08333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
    (dunno how many 3s you need, haha, just looked at how many MOS use)

You would have to edit the barrack event unless you want it postponed as well.
    That's done in descr_events in same folder
    Vanilla look like
    Code:
    event    historic    large_city_barracks
    date    10 12
    ;date    40 48 turns
    so edit to
    Code:
    event    historic    large_city_barracks
    date    3 4
    ;date    36 48 turns
    (between 3x4t/y = turn 36 and 4x4ty = turn 48)
    So guess it should be changed to

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

There is a topic in the Workshop at the moment on the implications of changing from 1 to 4. Might be worth a read: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-to-a-4TY-mod

And beware the event bug: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ot-not-working

deleted....thanks ngugi
    Last edited by scdandme; July 21, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

delete
    Last edited by orclover5; July 18, 2014 at 02:39 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by scdandme View Post
    I have searched and cannot find another instance of my question so hope it is ok to ask here....I have a problem with some of the "info" screens that pop up or the panes that give results for things....for example the battle results that tell you what units suffered losses and which units had the most kills and casualties.....my question is about the text in the results, not the heading or title of the screen that is in question...some of my text is almost transparent and therefore almost impossible to read...I have to get close to the screen to read some of it if that explains what I mean....can I edit or check some file(s) for accuracy ??...maybe I got some small bit of corruption in the download process ??...thought it might be a simple fix if someone can reply and give me advice because I have seen on screenshots posted on this site of other users and it looks normal...thanks
    See and test this
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...olour-Possible

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

This problem will need someone with decent scripting skills.

I have adapted a mod to TATW that will allow the player monitor resources such as iron... mines will produce certain amounts each turn, and different units will require certain amounts of iron to be trained, or recruitment is stopped. Anyway, I got that portion to work fine. I thought it would be cool to allow trade of iron with another faction for "gold coins" which is in game currency. More of a test of concept because this could work with anything in game. My script does not quite work. Need some help. My goal

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType turks
    and I_LocalFaction turks
    and DiplomaticStanceFromFaction egypt = Allied
    and I_CompareCounter horse_available >= 600
    add_events
    event counter trade_elves_accepted
    event counter trade_elves_declined
    date 0
    end_add_events
    historic_event trade_elves true
    end_monitor

monitor_event EventCounter EventCounterType trade_elves_accepted
    and I_EventCounter trade_elves_accepted = 1
    historic_event trade_complete
    inc_counter horse_available -500
    add_money turks 1000
    end_monitor

There are likely MANY problems with this script as I am quite newb but my goals are to create a script that allows me to trade with a faction I am allied with... diminish my counter for that "resource" And recieve money for it. This will allow factions to trade excess material horses, leather, iron...

Anyway the entire script works one time through, I get 1000 coins, and a drop in 500 "resource". I have historic events that track the resource so I always know what the counter is in game. Sadly after the first time it works the option script will pop up at the appropriate time but it will not give rewards when the option is accepted... the second time.

In conclusion I need the rewards to fire everytime I have more that 600 iron and accept the trade. Thanks

Hmm. I'm not sure if this...

Code:
    add_events
    date 0
    end_add_events
    ...resets those events counters back to zero. If not then that explains the problem because the EventCounter event only fires when the event counter in question changes value. If it's already 1 then clicking Accept (which sets it to 1) is not changing the value.

Are you using a 12tpy mod by any chance? "date 0" doesn't work beyond the first few turns in 12tpy. See here. So it might also be that the above script does reset them back to 0 but the 12tpy bug is preventing that script from working after turn whatever.

Anyway, you don't need to do it that way. Do this instead...

Code:
      and I_LocalFaction turks

set_event_counter trade_elves_accepted 0
      set_event_counter trade_elves_declined 0

end_monitor
    See if that helps. (There's no need to set the declined counter to 0 because you're not using it, so you could remove that second green line if you wanted to.)

By the way, instead of "and I_LocalFaction turks" you could just say "and FactionIsLocal" or (for hotseat compatibility) "and not IsFactionAIControlled". Hotseat aside there's no benefit, just easier I think.

Also, instead of this...

Code:
    ...you can just do this...

Code:
      and EventCounter = 1
    That one's definitely easier but, again, functionally identical to the first way.

EDIT: generally speaking if you find yourself using "add_events" then you're doing it wrong. There is no need to use that old fashioned way (from RTW?) because set_event_counter can be used to set counters and historic_event can be used instead of "event historic". The only time that it is needed is for other event types (e.g. "volcano" instead of "historic") or if you need the zoom-to "position" ability.
    Last edited by Withwnar; July 18, 2014 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Hmm. I'm not sure if this...

Code:
    add_events
    date 0
    end_add_events
    ...resets those events counters back to zero. If not then that explains the problem because the EventCounter event only fires when the event counter in question changes value. If it's already 1 then clicking Accept (which sets it to 1) is not changing the value.

Are you using a 12tpy mod by any chance? "date 0" doesn't work beyond the first few turns in 12tpy. See here. So it might also be that the above script does reset them back to 0 but the 12tpy bug is preventing that script from working after turn whatever.

Anyway, you don't need to do it that way. Do this instead...

Code:
      and I_LocalFaction turks

set_event_counter trade_elves_accepted 0
      set_event_counter trade_elves_declined 0

end_monitor
    See if that helps. (There's no need to set the declined counter to 0 because you're not using it, so you could remove that second green line if you wanted to.)

By the way, instead of "and I_LocalFaction turks" you could just say "and FactionIsLocal" or (for hotseat compatibility) "and not IsFactionAIControlled". Hotseat aside there's no benefit, just easier I think.

Also, instead of this...

Code:
    ...you can just do this...

Code:
      and EventCounter = 1
    That one's definitely easier but, again, functionally identical to the first way.

EDIT: generally speaking if you find yourself using "add_events" then you're doing it wrong. There is no need to use that old fashioned way (from RTW?) because set_event_counter can be used to set counters and historic_event can be used instead of "event historic". The only time that it is needed is for other event types (e.g. "volcano" instead of "historic") or if you need the zoom-to "position" ability.

Of course it worked, and once again I can't thank you enough for helping so much. I started messing with scripts last december so i am still pretty bad. I am just picking up how counters work, and of course the option script has a counter built in... just learned that. I just pick through dozens of scripts of different mods, and study... once I figure out stuff I try to adapt it to TATW... there are relatively few scripts that give continual options in game if conditions are met so this one stumped me... most option scripts terminate. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Always happy to help a fellow scripter in trouble.

For the record: were you using 12tpy?

Not sure where this question fits exactly, but I'm still editing economy values, is it possible to run an "observer" campaign to see how my changes affect the AI without having to play myself?

In DCILA we're using Ireland as an observer faction. It was made playable and given Forodwaith as its only region.

Cool, Could you explain how to do that for the vanilla game?

I can't remember all of the steps. There are tutorials on adding a new faction - or better yet: reusing an existing one like saxons or normans - which is all it is. Check the workshop's tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    You're welcome. Always happy to help a fellow scripter in trouble.

For the record: were you using 12tpy?
    I am using 12 tpy .

Also, is it possible to check if my faction is bordering another faction. I would like to make the trade of iron and horses dependent through my script on a shared border like the game does. Seems weird to transport materials over another factions land. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post

Sweet...thanks Ngugi...this is definitely going to get me on some sort of track to attempt a fix...it's driving me crazy.....I will post back to let you know if this does work...sounds like it may take a while to rename all the colors in the script after making a backup of course !!! Sorry I could not find this on my own...I always try my best to do it myself before posting and asking for help

Quote Originally Posted by scdandme View Post
    Sweet...thanks Ngugi...this is definitely going to get me on some sort of track to attempt a fix...it's driving me crazy.....I will post back to let you know if this does work...sounds like it may take a while to rename all the colors in the script after making a backup of course !!! Sorry I could not find this on my own...I always try my best to do it myself before posting and asking for help
    Update: I cannot find any of the key words in the descr_ text files or anywhere else in the data folder that cover the event screens that I am talking about...I am starting to worry that they may be hard-coded like makanyane said in that older thread.......strange because others here have posted screenshots where the text is normal....looks like I may have to live with this or do a reinstall.......any advice ? anyone else with this issue ?
    Last edited by scdandme; July 21, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orclover5 View Post
    I am using 12 tpy .

Also, is it possible to check if my faction is bordering another faction. I would like to make the trade of iron and horses dependent through my script on a shared border like the game does. Seems weird to transport materials over another factions land. Thanks.
    12tpy: I suspect that was the reason then.

Neighbours: no, afraid not. The only way would be to work it out itself using I_SettlementOwner on every region that borders the region in question.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I thought better to ask here and get redirected then to make a new thread and clutter the home page.

Question: is windows 8 terrible? (in relation to the installation and playing of Third age total war)
    I haven't heard anything good about 8 from my friends that have it but windows 7 is expensive and I'm wondering if it's worth the money and time to switch from 8 to 7.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.