Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Code:
    character    Voronwe, named character, male, age 19, x 199, y 83
    traits house_cirdan 1 , sindar 1, LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodDefender 1 , PoliticsSkill 1 , Loyal 1 , Just 1 , BattleChivalry 2
    ancillaries 
    army
    unit        Elf Nobel Mount                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    alright i deleted the old entry to see if it still works and it was indeed that it was adding him the problem. i rewrote it taking the other suggestions and this is what i have but it still does not work

Den Stark's Avatar Tiro

character_record and relative his parents?

okay finally figured it out. i had altered the age of cirdan who is his father so that he was not old enough to have an adult child.

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Ok I have a question: has anyone ever seen a script that is able to change a city stratmap model?

ex. If I was Mordor and conquered Minas Tirith the city would change to a big pink umbrella on the stratmap. I've found scripts like this for names, but not models...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I know Withwnar struggled with it some time back but it did not work out
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 29, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

hi can somebody help me i want to move a unit from the sundering rise of the witch king to third age

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Sure! First of all I'll link a couple of helpful resources:

1) Stephan's "How to add new units into the game" -- This will show you how to add the correct entries into the battle_models.modeldb and export_descr_units

2) Nakharar's "How to remove "unlocalized placement text" -- This shows you how to edit your export_units.txt file in the "text folder"

3) Mythic_Commodore's "Guide to export_descr_buildings.txt" -- Basic guide for getting to know your way around the EDB file

4) Mythic_Commodore's "Guide to export_descr_unit.txt" -- Basic guide for getting to know your way around the EDU file.

Ok so here are basically the procedure:

*For the text*
    1) In \Third_Age_3\data\text you'll need to add the appropriate unit info to the export_units.txt file. Nakhara's guide will show you how, or just copy/paste from the sundering's corresponding file.

*For the unit cards*
    2) In \Third_Age_3\data\ui you'll need to copy and past the unit's appropriate tga files into both the "unit info" and "units" folder. Ex. if you wanted this unit to be added to Mordor you would paste the unit's .tga in \Third_Age_3 DaC\data\ui\units\england. **You need to do this for both unit info and the units folder**

*For the unit models and textures*

3) In \Third_Age_3\data\unit_models you'll need to a couple of things. Add the appropriate unit entry into the battle_models.modeldb (see the guide at the top for how to do this). THEN you need to also track down the appropriate .mesh and .texture files for your unit and add them into the _units folder. **special note: the mesh and texture info that you copy into your battle_models.modeldb must correspond to where those meshes and textures are placed within the _units folder.

*For the unit stats*
    4) in \Third_Age_3\data scroll down until you find the export_descr_units.txt file. You'll need to basically copy your unit's info from The Sundering's corresponding file and paste it into the TATW file under the faction you want the unit to be available for. **note, you will need to change the "ownership, era0, era 1, and era2 entries at the bottom to reflect the new faction (ex. if you wanted this unit to be played by Mordor you would change it to: ownership england.)

*For recruiting your unit from buildings in a campaign*

5) in \Third_Age_3\data scroll down until you find the export_descr_buildings.txt file. Here you need to copy and paste your unit's sundering information into an appropriate building. So if it's an infantry unit, paste it into one (or all if you want to be able to recruit it a bunch) of the "barracks" building sub-trees. **special note: you'll need to change the requires factions { , } entry to reflect the faction you want this unit to be added to, and also for the time being delete any other entries after that such as: "and hidden_resource dale_rivers".

Ok that's just about the best I can do in terms of giving you a sense of what needs to be done. Not a small task but great practice for getting to know your way around the folders! Please feel free to post problems or any specific questions if you encounter them along the way.

Good Luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention that ALL text editing should be done with Notepad ++, which you can download (here).
    Last edited by Mank; May 02, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Hi!

I wanted to get a more feudal style ca,paign & so changed all the Gondorian childrens' bodyguards to reflect their parents' strongholds; Imrahil's sons got SK BGs, Duinhir's got Blackroot archr BGs etc.

The changes worked perfectly for Gondor, unfortunately when I tried it with Eriador, it didn't. Instead of replacing the original BG with the custom BG, it created two generals- the son with his old Dunadain BG & a custom general with zero chivalry, command etc & the required BG. I went back & tested it with Gondor again- it worked perfectly. But as of now, in my Eriador tests, first time, only 3/13 generals executed properly & second time, 2/13 generals executed properly. Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong?

Sample code (for Gondor, Forlong's son- works):

declare_counter ohtar_counter

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType sicily
    and CharacterComesOfAge FactionType sicily
    and I_CharacterExists Ohtar
    and I_CompareCounter ohtar_counter = 0
    and not I_SettlementUnderSiege Lebennin
    send_character_off_map Ohtar
    set_counter ohtar_counter 1
    spawn_army
    faction sicily
    character Ohtar, named character, x 220, y 119
    unit Axemen of Lossarnach exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    move Ohtar, 220,118
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    ;----------------------------------------------------

Sample code (for Beleg of Tharbad's son)- Doesn't work:

declare_counter bregon_counter

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType turks
    and CharacterComesOfAge FactionType turks
    and I_CharacterExists Bregon
    and I_CompareCounter bregon_counter = 0
    and not I_SettlementUnderSiege Bree
    send_character_off_map Bregon
    set_counter bregon_counter 1
    spawn_army
    faction turks
    character Bregon, named character, x 146, y 219
    unit BR Dunedain exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    move Bregon, 145,219
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    ;----------------------------------------------------

Why the three entries "send_character_off_map Bregon"?

If you give an ancillary to child when he comes of age and then use this as condition you have better control, but I'm not sure if that solves your problem. Bodyguards can be weird.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Default Please Help: Names

Hi guys. I'm making a mod for TATW 3.2 and, like an idiot, I didn't back up my names folders before messing with them. Now the game won't start and I have no idea what I screwed up. Could somebody please post names.txt, descr_names.txt, and descr_names_lookup.txt?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    Why the three entries "send_character_off_map Bregon"?
    The set for Dunadain names is limited. There was a chance that names might coincide, especially with diplomats, spies etc- and so I added a second send_off_character line. The third was for redundancy while testing Eriador but extra characters don't seem to be the issue in this case.

I've tried setting a condition for turn number, but it works only for Aragorn & Halbarad. Hidden family trees are still creating two generals. Is there any way to declare spawned generals as children of hidden family trees? In Kingdoms, you could 'adopt' Osman or Baybars by adding ", family' in the code but that only works for the first possible combination. You can't pick & choose the parent.

Thanks! I'm still getting the errors, but at least now I know that isn't it.

Default Re: Please Help: Names

Solved! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
    The set for Dunadain names is limited. There was a chance that names might coincide, especially with diplomats, spies etc- and so I added a second send_off_character line. The third was for redundancy while testing Eriador but extra characters don't seem to be the issue in this case.

I've tried setting a condition for turn number, but it works only for Aragorn & Halbarad. Hidden family trees are still creating two generals. Is there any way to declare spawned generals as children of hidden family trees? In Kingdoms, you could 'adopt' Osman or Baybars by adding ", family' in the code but that only works for the first possible combination. You can't pick & choose the parent.
    To be honest, then I don't see much game play value in this feature and since you are working with two known problem areas: BG's and hidden family members (Generals), then i'm not motivated to look into this in more detail. Take the safe option as mentioned before: use traits and ancillaries to control the conditions and keep the monitor as simple as possible. I'm sorry for not being more helpful.

/KP

Default Crash that points to nothing.

I have added in a couple units from frogs into my vanilla mod. Their export_descr_unit and battle_model entries are good. I got a crash because of a battle_model error (which i corrected), and I have no errors in anything else I have done. But my game crashes. I tested this by intentionally screwing up an EDU entry and it immediately crashed because of it. when I corrected it, it gave me this SAME error log. I went to my backup and tried again, and it gave me the SAME error log. See the attached system.log, I have not touched any of the things that it is listing as errors. I do not have a virtual store, and I have ran the file cleaner before running the game. I do not understand the problem. In fact, the errors in the system.log are wrong. When I go to the lines specified, there is either nothing there or the line is referencing something else.descr_character.txtexport_descr_buildings.txtexport_descr_unit.txt

here is my system log, and the files that is it pointing to.

system.log.txtdescr_character.txtexport_descr_buildings.txtexport_descr_unit.txt

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
    You can't send agents or "captains" off map so this won't help avoid duplicate name issues if any of those have his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Ok I have a question: has anyone ever seen a script that is able to change a city stratmap model?

ex. If I was Mordor and conquered Minas Tirith the city would change to a big pink umbrella on the stratmap. I've found scripts like this for names, but not models...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I know Withwnar struggled with it some time back but it did not work out
    Struggled is an understatement. The model is dictated by which culture owned the settlement when it was last upgraded (or initially built in descr_strat), so basically, who built the latest walls. I was trying to destroy the walls and rebuild them while under ownership of a different culture. I was able to do that but it made no difference: the model change seems to be tied to the upgrade process, not the actual wall building. So the only way would be to somehow downgrade the settlement first and then upgrade it again, and the only possible avenue of hope there was the city-to-castle conversion buildings which gave me nothing but grief.

alright before i begin let me apologize. i tired to do this a few months ago and people tried to help and i was unable to do it. well i decided with this thread begin born that maybe i would try this task again. i want to move the orophers chosen unit from FROME to a somewhat vanilla version of TATW 3.2 when i start up the game it tanks on the loading screen to error report or nothing.

so what i did was installed a new clean version of TATW and added FROME to it. ran the game and used the unit in a custom battle. i then went to into the modledb and copied and pasted the unit into the original personal mod i have been working on it looks like this
    Code:
    11 orop_chosen
    1 1 
    49 unit_models/_Units/my_units/orop_chosen_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 mongols
    53 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers.texture 
    60 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_normal.texture 
    44 unit_sprites/mongols_silvan_sword_sprite.spr
    7 mongols
    62 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_Att_diff.texture 
    62 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_Att_norm.texture 0  
    4 None
    17 MTW2_Fast_Javelin
    10 MTW2_Spear 2
    20 MTW2_Javelin_primary
    14 fs_test_shield 2
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    15 orop_chosen_upg
    1 1 
    53 unit_models/_Units/my_units/orop_chosen_upg_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 mongols
    57 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_upg.texture 
    64 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_upg_normal.texture 
    44 unit_sprites/mongols_silvan_sword_sprite.spr
    7 mongols
    66 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_upg_Att_diff.texture 
    66 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/orophers_upg_Att_norm.texture 0  
    4 None
    17 MTW2_Fast_Javelin
    10 MTW2_Spear 2
    20 MTW2_Javelin_primary
    14 fs_test_shield 2
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    i then copied and pasted the entry form the export desc units and put it in to my personal game it looks like this
    Code:
    type             Orophers Chosen
    dictionary       Orophers_Chosen
    category         infantry
    class            spearmen
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_missile
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          orop_chosen, 48, 0, 1
    officer             silvan_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect     horse +3, elephant +2
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit, start_not_skirmishing 
    formation        1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         10, 3, javelin, 65, 2, thrown, missile_mechanical, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    ap, thrown
    stat_sec         12, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 20, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no, spear, spear_bonus_4
    stat_pri_armour  5, 6, 6, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        4
    stat_ground      1, 0, 2, -1
    stat_mental      16, normal, highly_trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 910, 300, 75, 75, 560, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models orop_chosen, orop_chosen_upg
    ownership        mongols
    era 0            mongols
    era 1            mongols
    era 2            mongols
    recruit_priority_offset    5
    i then copy and past the modles files into "my units" file of my version.

what am i doing wrong. the unit clearly works in the game with the frome version. i also changed the counting number on top of the modledb file of the vanillia

What is the error message in your system log? There is a good tool out there to validate the modeldb file, which is most likely the cause.

deleted post
    Last edited by Elven Warrior; May 07, 2013 at 10:32 PM.