Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: What causes the inability to attack allies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I sure hope so, or my last two years works would be a mystery
    Holy smokes. I just checked up on you - you are actually a hardcore modder Ngugi! My sincerest apologies for beeing a moron - I can't help it

Question: why do you hate modders then? Is competition a little too tough for you

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

I do what now? I always encourage folks to start modding, often linking them tutorials when they discuss ideas, as I deem it a delight more should take part of, for their own sake and for all the comunity's, hehe
    The very creation of this thread has that as partial base for it's existance, when me and EoH heeded StealthFox's suggestion

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I do what now? I always encourage folks to start modding, often linking them tutorials when they discuss ideas, as I deem it a delight more should take part of, for their own sake and for all the comunity's, hehe
    The very creation of this thread has that as partial base for it's existance, when me and EoH heeded StealthFox's suggestion
    Very reasonable explanation my friend, but you cannot be a cool modder and a Tolkien nerd at the same time. They are mutually exclusive

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    Very reasonable explanation my friend, but you cannot be a cool modder and a Tolkien nerd
    Loremaster at the same time. They are mutually exclusive
    fixed .. and

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

~ Shakespeare

Hey! If I wanted to edit battle maps or create new structures or custom castles, where would I start with that?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

I don't know too much about this area, but a good place to start reading up on that would be Makanyane's "Battlemap Building Textures" guide. Hope that helps get you started!

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    I don't know too much about this area, but a good place to start reading up on that would be Makanyane's "Battlemap Building Textures" guide. Hope that helps get you started!
    Thank you very much I will check this out

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

You should also read this guide if you want to get into it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

I hope this is the correct place to ask this.
    I installed Stainless Steel about two weeks ago and now I'm checking out TATW. In the SS folder it has a launcher application. Third Age has no launcher application. why is this? king kong made both these mods so why the difference? (also i know king kong didn't do this alone i was generalising)
    Last edited by riuk881; May 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: removed info that unnecessarily complicated question

I'm not really sure about steam setups, but the TATW "launcher" file is called "Third Age". It is a .bat file, and in my install it is at the bottom of the main TATW folder. You could try and link the steam launcher to that and see if it works.

Again it is "Third Age.bat" and is in the main TATW folder, located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3

Not sure if this will do it, but its a shot. If not I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable with Steam will be able to help.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

oh so it does have a launcher its just a different type. okay thanks Mank! i'd give you rep but it says you don't have it enabled.

No problem! Yes I've opted for the dot, but thanks anyway, and hope you enjoy TATW!

Santana86's Avatar Libertus

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone here could help me with modding my EDB. Before starting a new campaign, I would like to lower the ai's population growth.

I always play on VH and on this difficulty the AI gets a 2% bonus to population growth, that seems to be hardcoded into the difficulty. It has always annoyed me that the ai grows their settlements faster than you, even though you have perfected your governors.

Therefore, I'm looking for a way to reduce population growth or add squalor by 1%, but only for the ai factions. (Effectively halving their bonus)

I figured this should be possible by adding the negative bonus together with all the other ai bonuses (under the "core buildings" section of the EDB). I tried using the same kind of trigger for my bonus (requires event_counter is_the_ai 1), but my attempts so far have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have suggestions for making this work?

This is the code I'd try and add to the core buildings:

Code:
    population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    If this doesn't work then I'd need to give it a bit more thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    This is the code I'd try and add to the core buildings:

Code:
    population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    If this doesn't work then I'd need to give it a bit more thought...
    Thanks, Mank. I added the code to all 10 core buildings, but unfortunately it didn't work.

For my testing, I keep a spy outside the same city writing down the population for the 5 first turns. (city stats show -0.5% growth)

When I tested 'population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1', the city still grew with 1.5%.

Just to make sure, I also tried changing the code to 'population_growth_bonus bonus -3 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1', but the city grew at the same rate still.

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Do you have any other ideas at the top of your head?

Hrm...you could try a specific code triggered for the AI that is always on and see if that helps.

In the campaign_script you would need to add: (just change the faction if you want to test for someone other than gondor)

Code:
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
        if I_IsFactionAIControlled sicily
            set_event_counter sicily_is_the_ai 1
        end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    and then in the EDB code you would add:

Code:
    population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires event_counter sicily_is_the_ai 1
    Just another idea, haven't tried this one myself but it might work as it sets up a permanent condition. The basic "is_the_ai 1" gets set back to 0 during the players turn, so it might not effect population growth correctly.

If this one doesn't work either I'd say move your inquery to the Mod Workshop's "Text Editing and Scripting" section, as someone there will probably have a few good ideas about this as well.
    Last edited by Mank; May 18, 2013 at 01:00 PM.

I will test it out later.

Thanks for the tips

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { sicily, } and event_counter sicily_is_the_ai 1

Elsewhere it will fire for all factions, not just sicily (unless sicily is the only faction owning that type of building)

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Oops! Thanks for catching that typo Kilic!

This may be a stupid question but what language is the code written? Looking at it, it looks like HTML mixed with python.