Thread: Keeping the Templars Alive!

Default Keeping the Templars Alive!

Hello friends. First of all, BC team, let me just say great mod! I know you probably get this everyday, but I truly and sincerely would love to extend my gratitude to you guys. Your hard work has provided me with countless sleepless nights of gaming heaven! I am only saddened that I discovered this gem of a mod 5 years after its release! Anyways the point of this thread is to solicit some guidance from either the BC team or anyone who is willing to help me. I want to start modding BC for my own personal use, I am not new to modding,...I've modded games like Rise of Nations before; I am a pretty good skinner, modeler and coder. But M2TW and BC are behemoths compared to RON, I just don't know where to begin. Well let me just be more specific as to what I want to do. Mainly right now I just want to add some flavor to BC, to suit my own preferences. I mostly play KOJ and I am a huge fan of the Templars (as you can see by my name). I don't like how after the 1300s, we no longer have access to them. So the first thing is, I guess I want to keep their availability permanent. Which specific files do I need to tamper with to do this? Secondly like the Knight's of St. John chapter houses, I would like Templar chapter houses to be available in every KOJ city. Which specific files do I need to tamper with to do that? Two simple questions. Just give me some clues and I will figure it out. Also one last thing, I was watching the movie Ironclad the other day. That's an awesome Medieval movies, great action and acting; I highly recommend it to anyone. One thing that struck me was that the main character was a Templar knight and his preferred weapon was a monster of a two-handed sword. He put Mel Gibson to shame, wielding that thing....he was so badass. I just thought boy, it will be cool for the Templars to have a unit like that in BC. Maybe if the BC team has some time in the next release they can implement this concept? I'll try to mod it myself and I'll share the models, skins and code with anyone who is interested. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Keeping the Templars Alive!

D:\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data -> export_descr_buildings.txt

Let me know if you need more clues.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    D:\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data -> export_descr_buildings.txt

Let me know if you need more clues.
    Thank you. Will I need to tamper with any other files? Will I need to disable the event that causes the Templars' liquidation?

Also k/t....there seems to be two versions of the file you mentioned. One is located in the main Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms/data folder, the other in the Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms/Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms/data folder.....which one is the correct one?

"Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms/Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms/data folder."

This shouldn't exist. You installed the mod twice?

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown
    Installation path of BC 2.3 should be "M2TW/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" (no more, no less)! Installer automatically adds "/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" to the path chosen by you, so watch out to not to set "/mods/Broken_Crescent_kingdoms/broken_crescent_kingdoms"!
    You can either delete the event from descr_events or remove the "and not event_name" requirement from the EDB.

I haven't watched Ironclad (I will watch it in a month or two when a friend comes to visit), but I know it's unrealistic, ahistorical junk (it IS Hollywood...). Longswords and especially greatswords would have been common only long after the Templars were gone. I'll get back to you once I've watched the movie.

I don't know if the Templar bug was fixed or not, but here's the link to the fix: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...448571&page=19

Great news K/T, it worked! Again, thanks for your help!

Oh and one more thing bro, how do you make it so that only one building of a type can be built at a settlement? Like if I build the St. John's chapter houses I want to make sure that settlement can't build Templar ones. I'm guessing this something we do in EDB again?

There is no reason not to have both...they weren't enemies.

bc_templar_jerusalem1 city requires factions { france, } and not building_present bc_hospitaller

Then invert it for the Hospitaller houses.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    There is no reason not to have both...they weren't enemies.

bc_templar_jerusalem1 city requires factions { france, } and not building_present bc_hospitaller

Then invert it for the Hospitaller houses.
    I realize that, but I want to implement that for balancing reasons . Thanks again.

I hope modding for your personal needs doesn't mean you won't release it, sure sounds cool what you're planning ;-)

If you like to play KOJ and also appreciate some flavour, may I direct you to the submods section, where you will find a WIP but already quite usable portrait & loading screens expansion project

"To achieve everything that is possible, we must try to do the impossible." (H. Hesse)

Hi Rummtata!

Well I only began to mod BC last week, I thought I would stop at fixing the Templar issue...but I have found that I want to keep going lol.

Here is a list of what I have done so far:

-Templar order stations are now available in every settlement, so are Hospitaller ones.....but you can only build one or the other.
    -Templars no longer get liquidated.
    -I implemented the "Antioch"/"Jerusalem" accents from vanilla for KOJ, now KOJ troops won't say lines like "for France" or "English knights".
    -Cleaned up Jerusalem recruitment entries in EDB. Before unit lines looked messy with duplicate entries, now they they look clean. Here is an example:

before

After

-I have also added some more campaign music....found some awesome Templar chants/hyms.
    -Added the no AOR modification, credit to the original creators of that.
    -Allowed for the crusader sergeant unit to be trained at forts. I felt this was an underused unit, who sat idle for most of my campaigns because they could only be recruited at certain coastal settlements....it was not feasible to keep them in my armies because of the hassle to retrain them, this especially became a problem when I tried to conquer the entire map. But not anymore
    -I modified the models of two units:

1. I gave dismounted Jerusalem knights maces, before I felt they were somewhat useless as spearmen because they were too few in number. Now I find they are very valuable and effective troops because they make up for their undermanned-ness with a powerful offense.

(this is from their unit info card btw, I'll upload in game screens later.)

2. I converted the mounted Hospitaller brother sergeants into sergeant spearmen. T differentiate them from Templar brother sergeants, I made them a bit more expensive and a little bit stronger. I felt making these guys spearmen would be more realistic.

(this is from their unit info card btw, I'll upload in game screens later.)

I'm also still working on that Templar two-handed sowrdsman. I've already modelled him, trying to texture him now. He'll look like this when he's completed:

But I've already given him a helmet. Anyways I will check out your mod later, sounds cool! I guess I can turn this whole modding spree of mine into a sub-mod too? I like to think of it as a KOJ revamp. If people want these changes in their games, I can go ahead and release something, with the BC team's approval of course. Maybe you and I can collaborate Rummtata? We can put your 2d work into this revamp and make it much more cooler .