Thread: Unplayable mod?

Default Unplayable mod?

Decided to return to the old ACW, to see you have a new version, 3.5, congrats everyone.

1. Have a clean install of ETW, no issues there, DLC and Warpath.
    2. Install 3.4 of ACW.
    3. Install music pack.
    4. Install 3.4.1
    5.Install subspower
    6. Install ZoR
    7. Activate launcher and Zone of Recruitment in Submods everything seems cool. Start game up
    8. Game launches fine.
    9. Decide to either begin campaign or launch custom battle and receive a fresh CTD for my game.

Why?
    [signature]

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Unplayable mod?

Hi there.

Perhaps a bit harsh of you to write on our ModDB page you're "greatly disappointed with the outcome of this mod and quality of the support" before we even get a chance to help you out, eh?
    The game obviously isn't broken if so many players, including myself can run it fine, so have you perhaps considered that just possibly the problem is somewhere at your end?

Could you copy your crashlog here so we can maybe see what is the matter?
    Before seeing the crashlog we can only be guessing, if the game launched to the main screen and then only ctd's after you try to run a battle or campaign it could also have something to do with your settings. Tried lowering those perhaps?

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Hi there.

Perhaps a bit harsh of you to write on our ModDB page you're "greatly disappointed with the outcome of this mod and quality of the support" before we even get a chance to help you out, eh?
    The game obviously isn't broken if so many players, including myself can run it fine, so have you perhaps considered that just possibly the problem is somewhere at your end?

Could you copy your crashlog here so we can maybe see what is the matter?
    Before seeing the crashlog we can only be guessing, if the game launched to the main screen and then only ctd's after you try to run a battle or campaign it could also have something to do with your settings. Tried lowering those perhaps?
    Hey,

It couldn't be graphics related. I've played this mod and other ETW mods on high graphics so far with no issue as well as other demanding games. Nonetheless, I tinkered with them and even with settings on the lowest of the low I get a swift CTD.

In any event, I've checked the Logs folder in the Empire directory and I've found nothing. There are a bunch of MDMP crash files but I'm not sure if you want those. Really all I have is the log from the mod's launcher which doesn't seem particularly helpful at all.
    [signature]

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

not empire directory... open ACW launcher > File > Go > Mod Folder there you will see acw_log.txt that's what we need to help you out. ETW crash logs are un-usuable mostly so no good from them. I would bet that something isn't installed as it should or you failed to start steam before starting the launcher. but as Trig said, until you give us log we can hardly do anything but guess what's wrong...

and btw, we support the mod, as you can see, great majority of user issues was solved. however, it takes time to answer the questions. we do have rl you know and other things to do... so little respect is something we deserve I think

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    not empire directory... open ACW launcher > File > Go > Mod Folder there you will see acw_log.txt that's what we need to help you out. ETW crash logs are un-usuable mostly so no good from them. I would bet that something isn't installed as it should or you failed to start steam before starting the launcher. but as Trig said, until you give us log we can hardly do anything but guess what's wrong...

and btw, we support the mod, as you can see, great majority of user issues was solved. however, it takes time to answer the questions. we do have rl you know and other things to do... so little respect is something we deserve I think
    Oh, so you do want that log after all:

ACW 3.X log - 14/04/2013
    --------------------------
    Info:
    Registered owner: ___, Is admin? True, Has limited token? False
    OS: Windows 7 x 64 - Home Premium Edition , Version: 6, Build Number: 7601
    Memory: Total: 6006 Available: 3947
    Display: 1366 x 768 - 32 bit
    Mod Installation Path:
    ACW path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW
    Current Campaign: Warpath
    Steam Status: On
    Current non vanilla files in data folder:

Actions:
    * 21:31:40 -> Mod started
    * 21:31:40 -> boot.pack removed.
    * 21:31:40 -> bg_art.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:31:40 -> bg_boot.pack present in data.
    * 21:31:45 -> bg_core.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:31:45 -> bg_db.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:31:49 -> bg_models.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:31:49 -> bg_movie.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:32:01 -> bg_music.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:35:26 -> US selected. Launching procedure started:
    * 21:35:26 -> scripting_gb_union.lua copied.
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_art.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_core.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_db.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_models.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_music.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_camp_wpath.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> mod bg_us_wpath.pack;
    * 21:35:26 -> ACW mod files commands added in user script for US WPATH.
    * 21:35:26 -> bg_camp_wpath.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data. wpath map selected
    * 21:35:26 -> bg_us_wpath.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 21:35:27 -> bg_us_txt.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data. us txt selected
    * 21:35:27 -> Startpos and regions copied from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\ACW_WPATH\US to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\ACW_WPATH.
    * 21:35:27 -> Launching procedure completed.
    * 21:35:27 -> ==========================================

* 21:35:29 -> Empire started succesfully
    * 21:35:29 -> ==========================================
    Final Files in Data:

* 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_art.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_boot_zor.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_camp_wpath.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_core.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_db.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_MM_ZoR.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_models.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_movie.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_music.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_us_txt.pack
    * 21:35:29 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_us_wpath.pack
    * 21:38:42 -> ACW mod is closing.
    * 21:38:42 -> Restore vanilla selected on close.
    * 21:38:42 -> Remove ACW mod files data.
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaign_maps moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\nonvanilla moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\ui moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_art.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_camp_wpath.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_core.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_db.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_models.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_movie.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_music.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_us_txt.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\bg_us_wpath.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs
    * 21:38:42 -> ACW user script deleted
    * 21:38:42 -> User's user script restored
    * 21:40:07 -> ACW launcher closed.
    End of log report.
    * 21:40:07 -> ACW user script deleted
    * 21:40:07 -> User's user script restored
    * 21:40:07 -> ACW launcher closed.
    End of log report.
    [signature]

hm, your log seems to be fine... we'll get husserl to look over it just in case. one thing though, where approximatley does the ctd happen when you select battle or campaign?does loading bar fill at all or not?if it does fill how far does it get?

The crash happens either when I choose to start the Civil War campaign or after I choose the units for custom and begin that. The loading bar doesnt even fill up for them it just CTDs after a couple seconds on the loading screen.
    [signature]

that is almost 100% Steam related issue... game crashes for you even before it starts loading any of the files it has. were it db problem it would crash on main loading screen (just after starting the game) if it were startpos problem it would crash on battle/campaign loading screen somewhere between 12-25% full. what you have is a Steam related problem. this is ussually caused when you start the ACW Launcher without starting Steam first. so you should restart your computer, then manually start Steam and then start the launcher...

if that doesn't work, I'm still confident it is some Steam issue as crashes like that had always been related to Steam in one way or the other.

I had something similar, i shut steam down and the launcher. If I did not run the launcher itself and went through steam it would load up the luanch screen and go i nto the game.
    Now there's where the problem came for me nothing was loaded in game. it looked like the original game.

if I try to launch from the launcher it will do nothing for me.

When I talk about launch screen I mean the mod-luanch screen where ya see the 2 generals to start off with.