Page 1 of 112 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The War Room

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

Default The War Room

Hello everybody!

Since there is no place for us to discuss hotseats in general I have decided to create one. Here is a place where youngbloods can ask questions, new hotseats can be proposed, and friendly banter exchanged (I shouldn't have to warn against taking it too far though). Guides for administrating, character creation, and faction editing can also be posted. Rules and bugs will still be handled in Uri's Hotseat Constitution though so there will be no need for that. Other topics could be on how to make hotseats more efficient and ways to increase speed.

Just keep in mind to follow the site rules and to not spam, go wildly off topic, or to talk about bans and cheating.

Let it begin!
    Last edited by The Forgotten; April 13, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The War Room

Never 'hotseated' before and thus have no concept of it...but I'd like to try my hand as it seems fun and breeds close knit communities.

Any advice?

Great idea by the way!!

I quite a youngblood and I have a small question.

What do you do with the original armies units you get that you would not ever recreuit?

For example with knights or those kind of expensive cavalry which are realle expensive and not coast effective at all?

Rhaegal's Avatar Miles

Are Pavise Crossbowmen any good in comparison to Armored Sergeants in ASOIF hotseats?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegal View Post
    Are Pavise Crossbowmen any good in comparison to Armored Sergeants in ASOIF hotseats?
    Not really. Because we auto-resolve, you want to focus on units with high attack and defense, with a lot of men. So mainly go with infantry.

Glad to see so many new faces already. Lets see,

Never 'hotseated' before and thus have no concept of it...but I'd like to try my hand as it seems fun and breeds close knit communities.

Any advice?

Great idea by the way!!
    Hotseats are very different from regular single player. One big difference is autoresolve. Here, infantry is king. Not only do they have better defense and attack than most units, but they also have the most men and are far cheaper than cavalry. The first turn of any campaign I usually disband all cavalry units and quickly fill up the empty spaces with the best infantry I can. Also it is important to note that command plays a very big part in AR. A 10 star general is well worth his weight in gold and can really skew results into his favor. Always do your best to keep generals like Tywin, Victarion, the Blackfish, and Stannis alive. Night fighter is another extremely useful trait that can decide major battles. Almost every faction starts with a few and once a general reaches 5 stars they will automatically get the trait in a few turns. The rule of thumb though is to NEVER be the defender. For some reason the attacker gains a slight bonus so in a battle of two equal sized armies the attacker will almost always win.

Economy
    In Westeros most settlements are already developed and games go by quickly. So don't focus so much on farms and save your money for troops. But always try to stay in the green. You never know when you might need an emergency fort. Which just so happens to be my next topic.

Forts
    Forts turn Westeros hotseats into WWI. With all of the passes and river crossings, bottlenecks and chokepoints are in every region of the game. Some players will build as many as possible to prevent you from attacking which can make life very difficult. Luckily rules and restrictions have been placed to limit large fort spams, and they are also fairly expensive. But trust me when I say that a well placed fort will make or break a game.
    A guide written by Uriyaca about them can be found on the 3rd page of How to Play in a Hotseat Game.

With so many factions and submods it is difficult to go into real detail but if you join a hotseat and wish to know some tips about your particular faction feel free to send me a PM.

I quite a youngblood and I have a small question.

What do you do with the original armies units you get that you would not ever recreuit?

For example with knights or those kind of expensive cavalry which are realle expensive and not coast effective at all?
    I disband them and immediately fill the holes with other units. Usually that would generic units of spearmen that garrison castles at the very beginning. Archers I also disband as they have low stats and in some cases can be very expensive (e.g. The Riverland Archers in KoRaH).

Actually, as of now there are two spots open in A Clash of Squires II. They are Renly and Joffrey. Most of the players are still fairly new and so you should have too much fear of getting obliterated.
    Last edited by The Forgotten; April 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

So disbanding Cavalry is a good starting option...

Btw, 5 stars for night fighting... hum... Nice!!!
    Last edited by Diablo del Sur; April 14, 2013 at 01:22 AM.

I do unless I am playing as a dornish faction in KoRaH. Do to the civil war you usually need as many men as possible and you won't get enough money to offset the lost troops. Churches are usually a good source of money too if you can offset the loss of their happiness boost.

And thanks for the compliment.
    Last edited by The Forgotten; April 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Forgotten View Post
    I do unless I am playing as a dornish faction in KoRaH. Do to the civil war you usually need as many men as possible and you won't get enough money to offset the lost troops. Churches are usually a good source of money too if you can offset the loss of their happiness boost.

And thanks for the compliment.
    I would rep you again, but the page doesnt allow me yet! Jaja! All this little things make really great diferences I am seeing. By disbanding all those crapy AR troops I managed to save 2k per turn, which can be used to recruit better troops!

I sent you a PM about the CoS II replacement, also I would like to ask you about an excell spreadsheet I've created with units cost/benefit rates to see if I have done anything wrong or if it is a good tool for decieding what to recreuit.

Send it my way and I will see what I can do.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Maybe someone could post a list of backstabbing players and post it here

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Emperor of Hell has an urge to kill women, I advise everyone to look out for their princesses if they sent them close to his armies. We should probably make a general rule which forbids killing of agents by armies.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by complete noob:( View Post
    Not really. Because we auto-resolve, you want to focus on units with high attack and defense, with a lot of men. So mainly go with infantry.
    The thing is, Pavise Xbowmen (I am going by the mercenary version here) have the same upkeep as armoured sergeants, the same attack, and possibly a slightly higher defence.

The do however have a smaller number of men.

They have the 'effective against armour' stat, whereas the spearmen have the 'effective against cavalry' bonus.

In general, spearmen > xbowmen.

HOWEVER, in a siege battle, missile units get a 'bonus attack round'. In vanilla/Korah this is only one volley of atatcks, before the yswitch to their melee stat.

In Fire and Blood, depending on the version, missile units in castles and field battles get MORE bonus attacks. They also get 1 extra (hidden) hitpoint to represent them being far away from the battle.

As such, in Fire and Blood, archers are VERY good in defensive battles. Not so much for mods that use teh vanilla battle engine

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo del Sur View Post
    So disbanding Cavalry is a good starting option...

Btw, 5 stars for night fighting... hum... Nice!!!
    5 stars, not including 'bonus stars' for 'GreatCavalryCommander 1' and similar traits.

Ancillaries count, however.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Emperor of Hell has an urge to kill women, I advise everyone to look out for their princesses if they sent them close to his armies. We should probably make a general rule which forbids killing of agents by armies.
    Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle than one girl at dinner .

I am glad to hear that at least you buy them dinner first...

Is there an easier way to upload images that are hidden in the right area.

Instead of you know find in steam, copy to paint, use blocks to cover areas you don't want folk to see, save .png, upload to imageshack, then linking to here?

jemdkyl's Avatar Senator

You can upload the images the same way you upload your saves, though instead of finding them in the directory manually, just right click on the Steam icon and click show screenshots. It will take you to the folder immediately. Move them to desktop afterwards so you can choose them in TWC easier. Or don't upload them at all, it seems to be the trend these days (no seriously, upload them)

Or just use dropbox :-)

Download Fraps and it lets you upload to photobucket right away. Also you can edit the pictures in Photobucket to save time.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Everybody but me backstabbs! Trust none of these chaps, eventually they will turn on you!
    "Fĺr jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihĺg..."