Thread: RotS Cavalry Standard Bearer Animation

Default RotS Cavalry Standard Bearer Animation

I want to create a mounted standard bearer for RotS units (hata-sashi were usually on horseback at this time) and have made some progress
    but still haven't got there yet.

The basic steps I've followed are these:
    1) Created a new entry in a custom animation_table.txt for the new standard bearer I've called "shogun_personality_banner_cav"
    This uses the foot standard bearer fragments plus yari horse rider fragments (Umberto202 used a similar method for a cav standard
    bearer mod for NTW)
    2) Created a new entry in db/battle personalities table for "standard_bearer_cav" and linked it to the new animation table entry
    3) Added "standard_bearer_cav" to the relevant RotS units in db/units_stats_land_table

Testing in-game, the naginata cavalry standard bearer seems to roughly appear as desired:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But in bow-armed units the standard bearer has the banner stashed on his back and it stays there the whole game (unless he
    dismounts in which case a foot standard bearer is correctly animated). Also he never equips with his sword either.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now I assumed the standard bearer would have their own animation irrespective of what sort of unit they were attached to
    but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any thoughts from the animation gurus here (eg Lokgar etc.)??

I've attached my mod pack
    WOHAB_SB4.zip
    Last edited by Durruti1936; April 12, 2013 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: RotS Cavalry Standard Bearer Animation

You want him to use the banner as a yari -- even in combat, correct? I was experimenting with this earlier, and got it to work. I'll see if I can find the pack / remember how I did it.

Also in the case of the bow unit, this is tricky. It COULD be because horse archers use a different type of mount with different animations, and your bannerman has yari_horse rider elements. When I have more time I'll look through your pack, just remind me. Creating a new animation table entry with horse_bow or whatever it is, and then a new personality using that might help. Also making sure that the banner is in the primary slot for the warscape and on the animation table.
    Last edited by Lokgar; April 12, 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I tried using the banner as yari as a quick solution even though it looks a bit odd used as a spear in combat (quick thought; perhaps leaving out
    the yari combat fragment altogether is possible?) . I suppose the ideal solution would be for them to act like the foot banner-bearer above the waist but
    as a rider below the waist but that's getting into new animations or at least an advanced use of existing fragments in a new entry under battleconfigurations
    I guess!?

Initially I just used the shogun_standard entry under Warscape Equipment Themes but I've now tried adding a new shogun_standard_cav
    theme with nobori in the primary weapon column (as I don't want to mess with the foot banner-bearer's weaponry). Also played
    around with default_equipment_display entries in the animation table to try either "primary_weapon, secondary_weapon, ambient, personal"
    or just "personal" but neither of these changes had any effect on the bow unit standard bearers...

I'll look into your other suggestion of adding a new horse archer type animation table entries.

WOHAB_SB5.zip
    Last edited by Durruti1936; April 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

As far as having standard banner anims on the ground and yari on horse, there'd be a total of 3 combat_Fragment battleconfigs. 1) Is the Standard Bearer normal. I assume this doesn't include any mounted animations. However 2 and 3 would need to be the rider and mount animations, which require you to sync up the matched combat portions or else there's a hilarious visual glitch with the mount doing one animations and the rider doing a different one. The easiest way to achieve this would probably be by copying yari_rider_combat over to a next .txt and cutting any animations that have him off his horse.

Leaving the yari combat fragment is possible, but I don't think the bannerman has any horse fighting animations, so you'd need some sort of rider_combat fragment in there as well. and make sure the rider_fragment syncs up with whatever shogun_horse_ (or shogun_Mount -- I forget which) is under the mount section of the animation tables.

Thanks, I'm still trying out various combinations but not there yet. It seems things were simpler in NTW as there was only one mount_horse animation no matter what weapon was used - lance, sword or
    carbine - so Shogun presents a trickier proposition.