Thread: [WIP] Germanic Voicemod

Default [WIP] Germanic Voicemod

While the normal IB Soundmod by ihatemonday is great and adds a lot to the mod series, I still get a little bugged by hearing Ancient Celtic voices for the "barbarian" factions, most of whom would be Germanic in the Late Roman era. Therefore, I have decided to start work on a Germanic Voicemod for units and commands. Once finished, the submod should include several variants for all needed commands, as well as for all Germanic language unit names.

Team: Nobody other than myself is really needed at the moment, until i'm ready to actually code the sounds into the game, in which I might need help. More variety in voices is welcome, however.

Permissions: Once the submod is released, it may be used for any other mod project, as long as credit is given.

Have a good recording? Know some useful sources? Post them here! (PM is also an option)
    Last edited by Imperial Eagle; April 09, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

Default Re: [WIP] Germanic Voicemod

very interesting. Are you familiar with Proto-Germanic? the Gothic language? or have you come out with a different alternative? Anyway, I wish you the best luck.

Art by Joar

I will use a variety of different Germanic tongues, including Gothic, Anglo-Saxon, and a little Frankish. Certain sounds, such as unit selection on the campaign map, will have the same word in several different Germanic languages to provide variety, for example I might have the units say either Cyning (AS) or Reiks (Gothic), since it is impossible to bind sounds to factions in RTW, only to cultures and specific units IIRC. Some other words will likely be deduced from Proto-Germanic equivalents, since I have several online sources to look at for that language and will be researching more as needed. It will be a learning experience for me as much as a mod project.

The fun part will come with certain late units that are partially Romanized, since they will likely include some Latin terms and a slightly altered accent. Foederati especially will also have some of these features to their speech.
    Last edited by Imperial Eagle; April 09, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thusundifath is a term I saw for vandal units of 1000 men crossing the Gibraltar, if it helps.

Good luck! I'd love to use this in IBUR!