Thread: Ottoman Empire Research

Default Ottoman Empire Research

Dear Broken Crescent creators and fans,

I received an undergraduate fellowship to conduct research with a Political Science professor during the summer at the University of California, I will be comparing the Christian and Muslim governance styles in the Balkans, Anatolia and the South in the Ottoman empire for her upcoming course on Empires. While it is a ways off and I have not begun any preliminary research, I immediately thought of the creators of this mod and their deep understanding of this period and area.

Can anyone here suggest some mandatory reading in English: books, professors, articles, websites...? Please include a brief thought about the importance, as quantity of material is not lacking.

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by scivian; April 24, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Epictetus: former slave and stoic philosopher

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Default Re: Ottoman Empire Research

Considering the Rum roster, I'd say their understanding isn't as great as you think.

But that will be fixed in 2.4 or 3.0. Yay!

Be wary of any books which emphasize Turk or Greek perspective on Ottomans in the early eras. Difficult to do as most primary sources are one or the other but Georgian and Armenian sources seem less biased. Anatolia was quite difficult place to evaluate in rise of Ottoman power with various beyliks and still very many remaining Christian or non-Muslim peoples which Ottoman policy was actually more attractive towards than official ERE policy in many cases repeating similar pattern as ERE losses in the initial Islamic expansion.
    Last edited by Ichon; April 11, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

About Ottomans, the best (and unbiased) sources you can find are from these authors :
    1)Halil Inalcik,
    2)Ilber Ortayli,
    3)Baron Joseph von Hammer-Purgstall (von Hammer was a collector of Ottoman sources, and his devotion to studying history of Ottoman Empire made him fall into poverty for the sake of that goal)
    Last edited by Farwest; April 13, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: description to von Hammer

if you want pictures and some quick info then go here http://www.facebook.com/ottomanpictures?fref=ts

Thank you. I like Quataert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Be wary of any books which emphasize Turk or Greek perspective on Ottomans in the early eras. Difficult to do as most primary sources are one or the other but Georgian and Armenian sources seem less biased. Anatolia was quite difficult place to evaluate in rise of Ottoman power with various beyliks and still very many remaining Christian or non-Muslim peoples which Ottoman policy was actually more attractive towards than official ERE policy in many cases repeating similar pattern as ERE losses in the initial Islamic expansion.
    Thank you. Can you suggest some authors in particular.

One bit of new info that I recieved is that I will be comparing Christian and Muslim governance, in as much as there are such distinctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
    About Ottomans, the best (and unbiased) sources you can find are from these authors :
    1)Halil Inalcik,
    2)Ilber Ortayli,
    3)Baron Joseph von Hammer-Purgstall (von Hammer was a collector of Ottoman sources, and his devotion to studying history of Ottoman Empire made him fall into poverty for the sake of that goal)
    Thank you.
    Epictetus: former slave and stoic philosopher

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus