Thread: Changeing the horses

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Icon5 Changeing the horses

Meanwhile waiting for the next patch I would like to change the vanila horse models of the Franks and the other factions added after the patch 1.2 to the better ones used by the rest of the factions. Anybody could advice me how to do it?

Default Re: Changeing the horses

Isnt there really anybody able to help me? I tried to find the solution myself but did not succed.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Isnt there really anybody able to help me? I tried to find the solution myself but did not succed.
    Go into the EDU (a.k.a. the export_descr_unit text file in the data folder). Find a cavalry unit. Here you will see a line named "mount". That is where the style of horses used is changed. Go to whatever unit you would like to change it to, and find out the name of the desired horse. Then go to the unit you wish to change, and replace the name of the current mount with the new one. Does that make sense?

And as always, make a backup of your edu. Very, very important.
    Last edited by Heathen Storm; April 14, 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

That is what I alredy tried to do. However, it seems that every unit has "fast pony" as a mount in EDU so I am quite confused and do not know what to do because some of theese fast ponies should be realistic looking horses while the other vanila ones.
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; April 15, 2013 at 03:24 AM.

That is what I alredy tried to do. However, it seems that every unit has "fast pony" as a mount in EDB so I am quite confused and do not know what to do because some of theese fast ponies should be realistic looking horses while the other vanila ones.
    OH... So you want to add something like Rusichi horses to the mod?

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

No, I do not want to add new realistic horse models to the mod because they are alredy in (not sure if Rusichi ones or some others but going to call it rusichi for the sake of this thread) and are used by the mounted units of most factions except Franks, Gutland, Krivich, Mærrafylki and Kvänland. Horsemen of theese five faction are using vanila horse models. What I want to do is eneble the realistic horse models which are used by all other WOTN factions also for theese 5 factions (especialy Franks). Problem is that in EDU in line "mount" of every single unit is written "fast pony" without any further specification. Which I think means that the problem is not in EDU and there is something other which prevents rusichi horse models to be used by alredy mentioned factions (maybe there are two horse models called fast pony which are interfering with each other and confusing EDU). But I suppose you as a moder knows better where the problem is.

No, I do not want to add new realistic horse models to the mod because they are alredy in (not sure if Rusichi ones or some others but going to call it rusichi for the sake of this thread) and are used by the mounted units of most factions except Franks, Gutland, Krivich, Mærrafylki and Kvänland. Horsemen of theese five faction are using vanila horse models. What I want to do is eneble the realistic horse models which are used by all other WOTN factions also for theese 5 factions (especialy Franks). Problem is that in EDU in line "mount" of every single unit is written "fast pony" without any further specification. Which I think means that the problem is not in EDU and there is something other which prevents rusichi horse models to be used by alredy mentioned factions (maybe there are two horse models called fast pony which are interfering with each other and confusing EDU). But I suppose you as a moder knows better where the problem is.
    Hm. Can you give me a specific name of a unit and faction that has this horse?

Which horse do you mean? The vanila one or the other (possibly Rusichi) one? Sorry for the late reply I had quite a busy week.

Which horse do you mean? The vanila one or the other (possibly Rusichi) one? Sorry for the late reply I had quite a busy week.
    The one that you wish to change it to.

Soenskir Riddarar (Sweden) for example, or regular Riddarar of Sweden, Danmark, Velstfold, Hálogaland and Rygjalandi. Btw. like your new HV signature

So I've tested and it looks as if they are all using the same horse model, just different textures. So if you wish for other horses to look like the Swedish ones, look up the texture code in the battle_models.db (under the unit fast_pony, under the faction portugal);

Code:
    61 unit_models/Mounts/Medium_Horse/textures/medium_horse.texture 
    68 unit_models/Mounts/Medium_Horse/textures/medium_horse_normal.texture
    just replace that with whatever faction's horses you want. Hell, you could do it to all of em to give them all the same texture. Hope this helped

By the way, thank you. It's a screenshot from the new show "Vikings" here in North America. Great show and there will definitely be a lot of visuals of it in my mod.

Thanks you for your very apreciated help. I am going to try to change all vanila horse textures

BTW, I know about that show and it seems really good but I have not yet enough time to discover whether it is possible to watch it/downoad it in my country.

Another offtopic question: do the battle difficulty levels work the same in M2TW engine as in RTW one (for example on very hard AI gets +7 attack and + 7 morale bonus)? While I am playing on recomended settings VH/VH and I had really hard times to win the battle with the enemy army of similar strenght and also my FM tends to die in battle quite often.