Thread: The Gamer's Gazette - Volume I, Issue IV

Default The Gamer's Gazette - Volume I, Issue IV

It's been a good long while since Issue 3 back in December, and boy do we have some excellent new content for TWC. New writers with fresh new perspectives complement seasoned veterans....alright so we added some people. I'll quit being dramatic. Leonidas the Lion has begun a massive undertaking of playing and recording the Mass Effect trilogy, and he has seen fit to grace us with the very first episode. Also, Remlap from Gaming Staff has graciously allowed himself to be interviewed by Daily in celebration of the TWC Minecraft Servers' One Year Anniversary. SturmChurro has diligently dug into the genre known as the MMORPG to bring us a review of Vindictus by Nexon (I used to play their game Mabinogi back when it was in like Generation 2. It's on Generation 17 now. I feel so old.). Meanwhile, newcomer frozenprince has brought his offering of an Epic Mickey 2 review to round things out. Oh, and once again I write on something about a console game. Daily isn't amused. But enough chit-chat. Without further ado, here's Issue 4!

PS: We are aware that the formating is less than satisfactory compared to previous issues. As TWC marches forward in this new era of VB4 we will hopefully be getting back to full visual splendor.

Gamer's Gazette Editor
    Confederate Jeb

Contents

Halo 4 Review
    Halo 4 Review
    Halo 4 Review

The franchise that colors the history of Microsoft's consoles returns to the fray once more, no longer content to release side stories and prequels. Halo marks the return of familiar faces such John-117, AKA the Master Chief, Cortana, the UNSC and the Covenant. But new faces, and a new developer, will define whether or not the fight should have remained finished. 343 Industries' attempt to separate itself from Halo's original guardian Bungie in many ways is both a success breakaway and a continuation of a few of Bungie's final changes, both for good and bad.

Four years after the events of Halo 3, the remnants of the ship Forward Unto Dawn reaches the orbit of the Forerunner Shield World Requiem. Covenant ships, however, have discovered the ruined human ship, leading Cortana to awaken the Master Chief from his cryo-chamber. After defending the ship and crash landing on the planet (something the Chief seems to do a lot), the duo is left to explore a hostile and alien world in an attempt to contact the newly arrived UNSC Infinity, a massive 3.5 mile long vessel built using alien technology. Things of course go awry when the main antagonist is released after a 100 millennium imprisonment and his Promethean forces wreak havoc, tensions rise between the UNSC and the Master Chief, and the humanity of John and Cortana is brought into question.

The relationship between John-117 and Cortana is the focus of the campaign.
    Despite what many people would argue, the Halo franchise is filled with both story and content, especially from the books. Detailed characters, including the Master Chief, litter the pages of the Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. The problem in years past has been bringing this lore to the video game medium. Halo 3: ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach attempted to do this, with varying levels of success (depending on who you ask). 343 Industries, however, has managed to not only design their game around the expanded lore, but create the best Halo story to date. The epic action sequences now have emotional, thoughtful scenes to really examine the relationship between the Master Chief and Cortana, who spend much of the game alone with only each other as company. Characters new and old to Halo lore for the most part add to the experience. Dr. Catherine Halsey, both in the campaign and in Sparta Ops (more on that later) is always a vivid character. Captain Andrew Del Rio, though somewhat bland, defines the new thinking of the UNSC, one which doesn't look kindly on the Chief. Though not in too many scenes, the major villain has the presence of a true threat to the galaxy, something that no single villain (save perhaps Gravemind) has been able to achieve. The show stealer is Commander Thomas Lasky, a character just introduced in the miniseries Forward Unto Dawn (which I still need to watch). Master Chief's new ally, while not the gung-ho personality that Sergeant Johnson was, feels the most human of the characters and yet can still sympathize with the Chief.

The amount of lore referenced in the campaign is astounding. Most of the background is explained in game for players who haven't read/seen the material covered in the books and movies, and what isn't is explained via terminals (such as why the Covenant are still enemies). For long term fans the extended background is helpful for picking out minor/hidden details. It isn't necessary to have read all the books and read up on the lore to appreciate the game, but it certainly adds to the experience.

But enough about the amazing story, what about the gameplay? For the campaign, the gameplay is yet another great entry to the list of Halo campaigns. The Promethean enemies and weaponry require a variety of new strategies, though a few weapons just fill the mold of human/Covenant/Promethean X. The only new vehicle is the Mantis, a powerful mech that can challenge the Scorpion and Wraith in terms of power and importance on the battlefield. An additional enemy type or two, such as the return of one more Covenant species, would've been nice, but there could quite well be a lore reason for this. Though there are only eight campaign levels, each is the standard Halo length (read: 2-3 Call of Duty levels long), and each is different from the last. The sniper mission, the guns blazing levels, and the vehicle levels each have their unique attributes that keep things fresh each mission.

New enemies, such as the Promethean Knight, fill both the campaign and Spartan Ops.
    In a similar vein, the gameplay for Spartan Ops, the mission/story based replacement for Firefight, works well. Set six months after the events of Halo 4, the UNSC Infinity has returned to Requiem to learn more about the alien world, as well as train the legion of Spartan-IVs on board. This premise serves as the framework for both multiplayer and Spartan Ops. In the latter, characters that were overlooked or unmentioned in the main campaign garner precious screen time in cutscenes at the beginning of each new episode consisting of five missions. The story starts out slow, but by the third episode the plot thickens and many of the characters begin to develop, particularly Jared Miller and the Infinity's AI, Roland. Sarah Palmer, your primary commander, is one-dimensional and bland, and it's no coincidence the other characters develop more when she's away. Currently there are ten episodes out (Season 1 having been completed) with a new one released for free every week for given intervals. Though the complete lack of Firefight is disappointing, Spartan Ops serves as a good mixture of campaign and multiplayer, and the consistent updates are appreciated. Only a short respawn penalty for dying, a carryover from firefight and the opposite to the campaign, help keep Spartan Ops a fun experience. This game mode is much more fun when played with friends; however, horrible matchmaking connection can plague Spartan Ops at times, so stick to pre-mades when able.

And so we are left with multiplayer. For those who are not aware I was not the biggest fan of Reach's multiplayer, and the changes 343i has made are a mixed bag. The largest change is in gameplay; loadouts with options for weapons, armor abilities, and upgrades provide a fair amount of customization to the game. Old abilities such as armor lock have been replaced by new ones such as Promethean vision, which allows the player to see through walls for a given time, but give away their position at the same time. Placed weapons on the map are less frequent, with most of the weaponry coming from ordnance drops which are earned by earning points via kills and assists. Powerful weapons, grenades, and boosts such as over shields and damage boost. In most gametypes respawning is instant, and players can now drop in and out of games at will, with players being added when teams become uneven. As you continue playing, experience is earned which unlocks points to purchase more options for your loadouts (most options are unlocked fairly quickly).

Multiplayer Gameplay has changed, for both good and ill.
    The problem with some of these changes is that the experience can feel cheapened. The slower paced strategy of Halo 3 is replaced by constantly rushing into fights with barely a penalty for death. While this makes the game perfect for a few matches of relaxing, the more competitive player is barely given a bone. However, the main concern is the actions of 343i in other areas. The lack of more competitive playlists up until late February and rankings until late March, the really pathetic excuse for not having a spectator mode that is present in even barely competitive games, the still malfunctioning file share months after release, and the lack of support for the professional scene have left a bitter taste in many players' mouths. While this analysis may seem pessimistic, I will say that I enjoy Halo 4's multiplayer more than Reach's. The Halo franchise has a history of experimenting with gameplay, giving each game a new feel, and Halo 4 is definitely an improvement on the gameplay shift for the series that started with Reach.

The passing of the Halo torch from Bungie to 343 Industries has yielded instant results, mostly for the better. The story, characters, and campaign are well developed, and Spartan Ops, after a slow start, has gained steam. The multiplayer, while ranging from slightly positive to very negative for those wishing for the competitive atmosphere of Halo 3 and before, is a solid, evolved experience that improves on Bungie's final take on the franchise. Only time will tell if the developer switch was worth it, but the new Reclaimer trilogy is off to a good start.

- CJ

Halo 4
    ConceptThe passing of the Halo torch to 343 Industries, and the return of the Master Chief.
    GraphicsSome of the best seen on the Xbox, with each new environment a sight to behold in and of itself. A bit too much glare on a few multiplayer maps though.
    SoundNeil Davidge does an adequate job of filling Marty O'Donnell. A few songs stand out, but the epicness that defined the original trilogy is missing.
    PlayabilitySmooth controls with only a few minor alterations to the standard setting make immersion simple.
    EntertainmentBetween the story, the environments, and the gameplay for both single-player and multiplayer elements, there is never a boring moment in the game.
    MultiplayerWhether co-op or versus, there is something to fill every niche, with a variety of gamemodes. Except competitive gametypes apparently. Outside of that multiplayer is fast-paced and exciting.
    ReplayHigh
    Overall Score9.25

TWC Minecraft Anniversary: Interview with Remlap
    Interview with Remlap
    Interview with Remlap

Questions:
    1. 1. Remlap, thank you for joining me in this little interview celebrating the one year anniversary for the Official TWC Minecraft servers. As I personally know you have been active on the servers, official and unofficial and that you are now a admin for the servers. What I would like to know is a little more in detail on who you are and your involvement in the different servers on TWC trough time.

I started on the TWC servers back when it was run by the community about 2 years ago, during which time I saw many renditions and changes to the rules to try and simulate kingdom vs kingdom warfare in minecraft. It soon became evident though that due to the nature of minecraft it is very hard to really capture the essence of nations going to war. I spent a brief period of time on the last community server serving as one of the three overseers who were put in place to remove the constant vote on rules and just make sure that people didn't break the new rules that were made to overhaul the system. As far as the community server goes, it was probably the best success gameplay-wise as far as kingdom vs kingdom goes.

2. How did you become a part of the mods and admins of the servers?

I knew how to use linux. Out of the dozens of people who applied to help out GED with setting up the TWC servers, I was the only one with any real linux experience. So that probably tipped the odds in my favor, coupled with the role I had been playing on the community server towards the end.

3. What is your primary role as of now and do you enjoy it?

My primary role on the servers is being the guy behind the scenes pulling logs for moderation, implementing new plugins, setting up the competitive events, working with members of plugin staff to get our custom plugins working, and working with the rest of the minecraft staff to keep good balance and counter-play in the servers. I really enjoy filling this roll for the TWC servers, simply because of all of the challenges balancing a game like minecraft presents. At the same time getting to see the community take the tools you have given them and using them in new and unexpected ways is incredibly rewarding.

4. You were talking about a resource system that is soon to be implemented. can you say anything specific about this new change?

They will generate general resources like wood, stone, coal, iron, etc. The hope is to create a more dynamic world to live in and more of a reason to fight another faction on the server. The resource points are desireable to have simply because the resources they would generate would make living in minecraft a bit easier.

5. One year is a long time. Would you say the servers have changed a lot and so what are the most important changes?

There have been so many changes over the last year it's a bit hard to keep up with them all. Some of the biggest changes so far were adding the weekly competitive server that people can join every Saturday to get into a new pvp game. We have also adjusted enchantments and potions to make them balanced in a pvp setting, with the most significant change to pvp being worked on now by implementing each armor type in minecraft into a different class for fighting. Another huge change being worked on is the addition of resource points, which will give kingdoms something to fight over control of to get a steady stream of different resources. The best changes of course are yet to come, with the induction of a new staff inside of the Minecraft area dedicated to writing plugins specifically for TWC. We could easily be looking at Minecraft Total War in the future.

6. The future how does it look?

The future is looking quite good for the twc minecraft servers, with the undertaking of writing our own custom plugins underway and the minecraft api looming on the horizon. Within the next year we are going to see a lot of good changes happen for the server.

Authors Note:
    I did this interview a little while back and there have been several recent happenings. First the world off Serveria crashed meaning that the traditional map is down. There is a temporary map with heavy focus on PVP that will be up until the permanent map have been done. The new map will have a lot of new terrain that will be drastically different from the standard map that Minecraft usually generates.

Next the discussion of the servers have moved from TWC to its own site over at minecraftcenter.net. The community have grown a lot in the last few weeks and we are seeing a increased activity on the site. You will have to go here to join the server.

Mass Effect Marathon Episode 1

Vindictus Review
    Vindictus Review
    Vindictus

Vindictus is a free to play action mmorpg published by Nexon. It is a prequel to another Nexon game Mabinogi. The story is simple, a war of good against evil. Monsters against humans, the usual premise. What really separates the game from the rest (especially free to play mmos) is that it is action oriented, and that is really what gives the game it's flavor. There are currently six different playable characters who each have their own unique set of skills and weapons that are used, such as Vella who wields twin swords or Karok who uses a giant Pillar to crush enemies. Vindictus even has very beautiful graphics for a free to play MMO! However, the game is instance based which actually causes a bit of problems. Playing is especially dependent on the connection of the host and your connection to them. You had better hope you or they have great internet!
    Playable Characters

I do applaud the game no matter it's flaws for being action oriented. I thoroughly enjoyed slashing and hacking through my enemies, and it gave a fresh feel to the game itself. Especially when there are several different playable characters with completely different play styles. Anyone should be able to find a character that just feels right. Combat just felt great, but the flavor wore off quick. Enemies in the game are completely generic, they literally all look the same, act the same, and sound the same. The bosses are just bigger versions of that generic enemy. Combat with these enemies becomes a huge chore. Most don't even drop anything useful, and by the time you actually get to the bosses that drop unique and rare items you have to be nearly max rank. Leveling up in Vindictus is pretty straightforward, and fairly easy until you get to about level 60 or so. You won't have to grind too often to actually level up in early game, and like I said grinding can get to be a huge chore (As expected). Enemies do not get progressively harder, you just unlock new areas. Throughout a particular area, the map itself is exactly the same for several levels, and the enemies. The only things that actually change as you level up are new skills and new bosses to fight. Vindictus, it just lost it's fresh feel fast. The only thing that makes up for it is the constant updates that release new skills, new characters, and especially items that are churned out. If you were missing new content in other MMOs you will not have a problem here. Though, Most of these new content updates are directed at either paying players, or members who are max rank. If you start the game new or just don't play the game often you won't actually be able to take advantage of any of these updates, unless of course you pay real money!

The game features a nice character customization system. With different body types, tattoos, scars, hairstyles and more. Yes, these seem all petty, but believe it or not you cannot change anything without paying real money in the game. You can't even change your hairstyle, or hair color for that matter, and even when you decide to pay money to change your hair color (and it's high cost) you can only change it once, then if you want to change it again you have to pay the same amount again! The cash shop however, is, for the most part cosmetic. None of this will actually change anything game play wise. There are a few things in the shop that give a bonus though, such as small exp boosts, luck boost (increases chance of finding rare items), slight attack boosts, and my favorite actually useful item in the shop, the pet. You can have pet's in the game which fight for you, give you boosts, and level up along with you. They have to be fed however to use skills, and while it seems a small feat, it can actually be very hard to do. You can just opt and pay real money and feed them, but I digress.
    In Town

Nexon recently implemented a new guild system with more plans in the future. Guilds in Vindictus don't really mean anything though, apart from a few bonuses at the moment. The benefits of player guilds in Vindictus are discounted costs, more experience (For you and the guild), and other things of note. I do have hope in the future guilds more in-depth features, like GvG (Guild vs Guild). PvP is actually already implemented in Vindictus, to an extent. You can challenge other players to a "Duel" while in an instance, and there is another game mode too, however that is a ghost town, not really worth mentioning. The more features and game modes the better either way. PvP in Vindictus is really not well implemented apart from a few titles there is almost certainty no motivation to actually go out of the way and challenge someone to a duel or wait all day for any of the other game modes that are hardly ever frequented, though being in a guild or just having several friends and playing these game modes could be great.

Vindictus actually has a fairly in depth storyline, if you like to read a lot. There is no voice acting or anything that actually seemed to keep my attention, so you can take what you want from that. I did however see several English mistakes, but you could expect a bit of that, it is a Korean MMO after all. The story literally doesn't have any impact on your actual game play. It changes nothing so it can easily be skipped if you decide to do so. All quests are just either finish the instance or grind the instance for items, but you can just go and buy what you need for the quest on the market most of the time. So if you are lazy or just don't have the time to finish a particular quest you can buy items from other players. You will notice most things are actually bought and sold through the player marketplace. Items value are decided completely by the community, and I love this feature. Well, except when I have to overpay for a particular item. I can get over it though. The marketplace is one of the best features of the game. You won't find many npc merchants that sell anything other than base items, like health potions, crafting materials and such. NPCS are really just there in Vindictus to get quests, craft, or enhance items.

After everything Vindictus is still a great mmo to play on and off. If you have friends to group with the game gets a huge time better than grouping with strangers, as expected, but friends are a real must have if you want to play, and enjoy Vindictus, oh and a good host. Once you have finally unlocked raids the game will be amazing, the bosses are unique and very enjoyable to fight against. If you can wade through the lower levels expect to have a great time playing! The marketplace is great, the graphics are great, characters and their different play styles are very diverse, and there are a ton of different weapons and armor. I would give Vindictus a solid "Okay". Try it and see if you like it. If you don't, no harm done, it is free you know!

Epic Mickey 2 Review
    Epic Mickey 2 Review
    Epic Mickey 2 Review

Mindless historical meanderings and other such nonsense Disney is a huge, storied corporation, with no shortage of inventive, highly iconic characters and worlds. None of these are more iconic than Mickey Mouse and his stable of friends, Goofy, Donald, Minnie, Daisy, and Pluto. Yet despite over 130 shorts and dozens of feature or direct to video films, dozens of television shows, and over 25 other video games, nobody had ever made a game that captured the iconic star in the way he's been popularly portrayed, his spirit if you will. With the way Disney has been expanding it's stable over the past 6 years, one would assume they'd be far more willing to create a quality, original IP based around it's iconic character and mascot. The collaborative effort with Square-Enix non-withstanding of course.

So, in a bid to expand it's publishing business in 2007, Disney acquired Junction Point studios, headed by industry legend Warren Spector. And put them to work on an original IP they'd been trying to make since 2003, but couldn't put to a development team due to lacking the copyright's to it's former mascot, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and other ancillary characters that populated his world. The original Epic Mickey was born as a PS3 and Xbox 360 title, but was ported to the Wii due to it's more "child friendly nature", and the concepts and ideas (characters would no longer be able to be killed by mickey with thinner, and instead would just be melted and rendered useless) toned down to appeal to a younger player base.

The original was released in late 2010, the twilight of the Wii's popular push, too middling to above average acclaim. Many critics and fans alike rejoiced in the sheer reverence to old school Disney the game presented, with it's graphics in the style of a silent or early color era cartoon, it's hand drawn animated cut scenes, and it's workable, if generic platforming. But chastised it for it's wonky at best camera, and it's lackluster game design, especially the combat, which was seen as an inferior version of Super Mario Sunshine. But the foundation had been laid for the sequel, which had more money, more backing, and far better consoles on which to work. Surely the game, with Warren Spector at the helm and the decided lack of recent quality platformers, would be all it had the potential to be right?

Well, not so much so.
    Magical Kingdom My Arse
    Oswald sure is whiny
    But that's enough meandering (boy howdy do I like meandering) on "old ", this review is about the new, Epic Mickey 2!

The game starts a short time after Epic Mickey 1, the Mad Doctor (antagonist from the first game) had been defeated and Oswald's world, the wasteland, had been saved. Yen Sid's (the magician from Fantasia) paint brush returned, and Mickey sent back into his normal home to resume his normal life. But as well all know, this is a video game, and protagonists never live a "normal life" for long.

The Mad Doctor has returned, despite there being a beautiful cutscene of him blowing right the H up, and offers to aid Oswald and the denizens of the wasteland in repairing all the damage done by recent "earthquakes" in order to atone for his earlier misdeeds. And suspiciously (read: not at all obvious) right after accepting the doctors offer for aid, the wasteland begins to suffer even more damage and destruction. Fearing that the Mad Doctor, and this is shocking, might still be mad, Ortensia (Oswald's Minnie Mouse) and Gremlin Gus (Oswald's Goofy) set out to contact Mickey again, in the hopes that he can help sort out whatever is plaguing the wasteland, again. So after calling him through his T.V. to rejoin them in an effort to once again save the wasteland, he leaps through the T.V., re-arms himself with his mystical paintbrush, and is off to adventure again in the wondrous land of the Wasteland.

After a short (and beautifully animated) cutscene where Oswald and Mickey meet up again and the castle where Oswald reigns as king of the wasteland (The Ayatollah of rock and rolla baby) begins to fall apart, short on time, the two agree to join up and begin an adventure to figure out what is causing these earthquakes plaguing the wasteland. And the reappearance of blotlings and beetleworks (the robot enemies the mad doctor created in the first game) that appear to be working together.
    Such Pretty Colors
    Do the humpty hump
    Now that we've got all that out of the way, lets get to the real meat and bones here, the gameplay of this game. I would like to take this block to discuss the good, what I thought were the positives and what I took away from the experience in a good way.

Let's start with the art direction and the nostalgia of the experience. Simply put, the art design is perfect. Every inch of every level is nothing but a love letter to silent and world war II era Disney in all it's grandeur. Every level and transition contains something neat for both the hardcore Disney enthusiast and the passing fan alike. With references to Pete the Dragon and the Black Cauldron (sadly "Song of the South" received no mention ) and the well known like Snow White and A Nightmare before Christmas, the backdrops are a pleasure to pass through (which is good because you'll be doing so a LOT) and the transitional levels are handled as old school 2D platformers with a veneer of Disney. The characters are beautifully drawn and the 2D animated cutscenes are well done, and do a very good job of bringing out that Disney feel, without actually being done by Disney.

Some of the sections are fun to traverse, the 2D platforming sections are the best parts of the actual gameplay, and easiest, because of the fixed camera. The musical score is very Disney, stirring and epic, and the voice actors manage to do a good job at representing the iconic characters in a way that new fans and old buffs alike will enjoy.
    Oh Will You HURRY UP And now, sadly, we have to get to the negative. What I took away from the game as a downside or issue that either negatively effected the gameplay, the story, or both.

Put simply, the camera in this game is the worst, most difficult enemy you could ever possibly face. In most platformers, the right stick is used to move and adjust the camera as you wish, in this game it's used too balance and control the reticle to aim your brush or if you're playing as a second player, Oswald's remote. So using the triggers to control the camera isn't very intuitive. Not to mention that even if you manage to manually maneuver the camera into a position that makes it effective (though it naturally sits a little too low to see some higher platforms and enemies) it resets after you move around a bit, making managing the camera an added and unnecessary chore.

But the camera is just one problem, the most grating issue you experience in the game is that there is simply no variance in what you'll be doing. You go from one level to the next, move a ball into a socket or push or pull a lever, and then move on to the next level and repeat the same thing for the entire 20 hour experience. And don't take that 20 hours as all new levels, a good chunk of the game is going back through the same transition levels and the same open area levels time and time again. The repetition is worsened by the fact that the quest system is completely broken. There is no "quest" screen, the only que you have to know what you're supposed to be doing and where you're supposed to be going is the annoying Navi avatar, Gus the Gremlin. There is supposed to be a choice and morality system where if you "turn" most of the enemies by spraying them with paint instead of destroying them with thinner or if you take a more complicated, difficult way through a level to help out the denizens of the wasteland. But for the life of me I couldn't tell what was and wasn't a bad option. There is no real indicator other than the dialogue you get during the transitions to another level. But there is no real tangible difference in the story or what happens no matter what path you choose to take. Other than a few characters just refusing to "help" you anymore, even though you spend the entire game doing things by yourself.

Oswald is controlled by the A.I. if you don't have a second player helping you. And while he's passably intelligent, the fact that he often gets lost (I counted a 4 minute wait on one platform for him to reach me) and requires constant micromanaging to activate his specific buttons, makes the game feel more like a long escort mission than the fun experience it should be.
    Disney Downfall All in all, the game is a unique romp through the world that was obviously lovingly crafted down to it's most minute detail. The art design is so beautiful and evocative of the Cartoons many of us know and love that I can't help but tip my hat to the studio for it. That said, a unique walk through a Disney world just feels like a massive chore due to the broken, uneven gameplay. There really is no excuse in this day and age, especially for a game that's been in development since early 2010, for a game this purely BROKEN to get a retail release. The camera alone knocks down 2 points from the final score. Mix that with the frustrating repetition and the lack of any real unique gameplay concepts and you've got a really beautiful art book, but a mediocre at best game.

Gameplay: Nothing here to recommend it for anybody other than young children, and even then there are better platformers out there to be had.

Atmosphere: The game, as I keep saying, it's a pleasure to look at. If you're at all a fan of Disney it's got a look you'll enjoy, and it's honestly the only reason to play this game.

Sound: The score and VA is great, very upbeat and whimsical, as it should be.

Replayability: Not much to be had here, it's a very singular experience that I honestly wouldn't recommend going through once, let alone twice.

Final Score: 5.5/10

List of Contributors/Other
    List of Contributors

Confederate Jeb - Editor/Writer
    Random news, notes, and links from across the interwebs. This mostly contains stuff that interests me, but this is my personal section so tough luck.

- Supergiant Games, the creators of Bastion, have announced a new game: Transistor. Described as the group's take on the sci-fi genre, the game continues their emphasis on the action-rpg with the addition of a "strategic combat mode." But why listen to me ramble, check out their announcement trailer here and early game footage covered by Total Biscuit at Pax East here. Supergiant Games, take my money for your soundtrack already. Just take it please.

- BattleBlock Theater, a game started in the Late Cretaceous 1066 1860 2009 by The Behemoth (by their own admission), finally has a release date. That's right, the Half Life 3 of Xbox Live Arcade is actually going to be released. And in the usual Behemoth style, they've made a hilarious video to celebrate. Go here and prepare to buckle your pants.

- Age of Empires 2 HD. Enough said. Click here to relive my your childhood.

apple - Writer

SturmChurro - Writer

Påsan- Writer

Daily- Writer

Manco- Writer

frozenprince- Writer

Leonidas the Lion - Video Content Master

Chloë
    - Contributor
    Special thanks go to Chlοë for overseeing the further development of the Gamer's Gazette.

Check out the other Content publications!

Last edited by Confederate Jeb; July 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: minor formatting

Default Re: The Gamer's Gazette - Volume I, Issue IV

Great stuff everyone. A fine and long due issue indeed!

Hopefully we get the next one out in under 4 months!

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah great work guys, a pleasure to read as always.

Hopefully we'll see some of the reviews enter the ROTM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Superb

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Being one of the guys who fell of when Empire came, appreciate Other Games as well. Thank you guys. Hope there will be articles on World of Tanks, league of legends, Battlefield, Mount and Blade, etc.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

absolutey superb job, but i am not interested about which game included in games gazette or not but i only favor the game gazette to include from my favorite gaming list like mass effect.