Thread: [RTR AAR] Battle Report - Pics

Default [RTR AAR] Battle Report - Pics

I just recently downloaded RTW Darth mod, after playing RTR for awhile. I read about how the Darth mod had amazing AI, and I was sick of how easy RTR was getting so I made the switch. Well today was my first large scale field battle. The army had layed siege to Arretium, so I needed to march my army down from Gaul territory and attacked the army. So the numbers were me-Romans Julli- 2326 mostly Hastati, and like 2 OR 3 units Principe's, VS. The Gauls - 1869 mostly Warband I believe. So I entered the battle and got into the Roman Manipular(sp?) The Gauls got into some Basic Line Formation with the General in the rear.

I walked right up to them and got into pilla throwing distance and the didn't advance as I gave them a volly. Once I gave them the volley they backed up a little bit, as soon as they backed up I charged with my first four units in the front of the formation. As soon as the first four units hit their line, I charged with the next four units and filled up the gaps. I quickly sent in another unit into the line where it seemed that my line was breaking. At this point my right flank is starting to break to get flanked by the gauls, and a unit starts routing. So I send in one of my last 2 units and flank the gauls on my right flank. And then I send my last unit to the left flank to support the failing left flank.

At this point i'm starting to get worried, my line is breaking and my units are routing, i'm running my general up and down my line and trying to use his special ability thingy to keep up there spirits. At this time I am also waiting on my reinforcements which are starting to get closer now to the battle, the are arriving from behind the gauls, but they are still too far to help me at this moment, so I have to do someting drastic. I decide the take my general and charge into the center line to break the gauls line, and get them routing. It is at this point that I make my reinforcements coming up run. I have 2 full Hatati units and 2 generals coming up. So just as MY general is pushing through the gaul line I charge my two general reinforcement units into the gauls' general's rear.

My reinforement generals clash into the Gaul general and eventually the Gaul general routs. It is at this time that my WHOLE left flank breaks and routs. The remaining gauls don't give chase but quickly come down hard into my right flank. My 2 Hastati reinforcements are now very close, and I quickly give them a charge order into the rear of the Gauls that are now pounding my right flank. The Hastati quickly destroy the Gauls spirits and they all rout.

Here's a view of the casualties, insane blood bath, they all just stood there and bashed eachother

Anyway, I have to say that I am not an experienced player, I have never played the game as any one but the Julii, I have never finished a campaign, but I wanted to show everyone this battle as I have never played a battle as amazing as this. It was the most realistic thing. The Darth Mod is amazing.
    Last edited by patio87; August 22, 2006 at 01:18 AM.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Battle Report - Pics

I enjoyed your AAR. The occasions when you get a great battle or very interesting terrain for a fight make all the boring stock battles worth it. I could have sworn RTR has DarthMod formations included in it, doesn't it? Oh and after large battles but before the screen goes to the battle results, I like to pause and do a fly-by of the carnage. It's great seeing thousands of bodies locked in death like that, although of course this would be gruesome in real life and give you nightmares until your dying day!

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

DM is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing the pics and story!

Also, try playing as a non-roman faction. Make sure you try at least one barbarian faction (Germans, Gaul, Spain, Briton, Dacia, and kinda Scythia), one Greek faction (Greek cities, Macedon, Seleucids, and kinda Thrace), a eastern faction (Pontus, Armenia, Parthia) or a African faction (Egyptians, Carthage, Numidians - On second thought, ditch the Numidians).

The battles are a lot different when you have to use phalanxes, or if you are a barbarian faction.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Yeah I will try at some point. But the thing is whenever I boot the game up or when I think about the game, all I can think about is playing as the red Romans, LOL. And I like saying in a really deep voice 'Rome will Conquer", lol. But I will try other people. I'm probably going to do a German one, or maybe a Pontus one.

Next, try to imagine that battle with music from Gladiator or King Arthur.