Thread: Rebellions

Default Rebellions

This might not be so common with other nations, but Rome was a nation that everyone wanted. For greed and power, or to 'save Rome'. How will rebellions actually play out, that is both realistic and horrifying for the player?

CA has identified one detail; military generals can rebel against Rome with their army. Will it work with other nations? Would be cool. Though, I wonder how it would work. Can we see a general's loyalty statistics from the campaign map? Or the loyalty the army has for that general? How can we improve it so we don't have an army of 50,000 soldiers marching to Rome?

And how about the little details? Maybe the people like a citizen of Rome, and he decides to go against it with senators and armies.

Whatcha think?

Default Re: Rebellions

Instead of having just a generals loyalty, how about an armies loyalty as well, if an army is more loyal to the general than rome, and the general is more loyal to himself than rome; then a rebellion might occur.

In Europa Universallies Rome, the individual unit gain loyalty to a certain general, and if he has enough loyal units, and low loyalty to the state, he can rebel with his political allies and start a civil war, I hope this kind of mechanic is included to simulate the whole 'Caesar in Gaul' situation.

Smolka's Avatar Miles

One thing is leaving me a bit confused. What happens to a settlement in Rome II if it rebels? I read somewhere that there will not be a "rebels" faction. Every "rebel faction" will now actually be a separate faction. So what will occur if the population of a settlement becomes very unhappy and you have a "civil revolt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Smolka View Post
    One thing is leaving me a bit confused. What happens to a settlement in Rome II if it rebels? I read somewhere that there will not be a "rebels" faction. Every "rebel faction" will now actually be a separate faction. So what will occur if the population of a settlement becomes very unhappy and you have a "civil revolt"?
    I'm guessing if the city that rebels is Athens a Greek state would emerge, but I think civil wars would occur if an individual general or politician is too powerful and disloyal like Caesar, not when an individual city is unhappy, or you would have a civil war every 10 turns.

Well I hope no mather how loyal a general/army/region is, there is always a change that it will rebel just to keep things interesting, maybe something in the way of:
    - At the start of every turn there is a random value assigned to the general/army/region (Not greater than 1 and three digits behind the comma), let's call this A
    - Every general/army/region has a value (B) (again no greater than one and three digits behind the comma), this value is determined/influenced by many factors (for example: religion, culture, oppressoin, loyalty of the general/army, etc.) and is exponential to the number of turns. That is b = factors^t
    - and when A is bigger than B the general/army/region would rebel.

The exponential factor of turns makes it more and more likely that there will be a rebellion when time/turns passes and of course all the factors has to be balanced with utmost precision.

When keeping all the factors at the right level so that the change of rebellion will be at the minimum can be challenging but never a garantuee that it will not happen, and therefore a more enjoyable gameplay.