Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Default Re: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by XxBlackpantherxX View Post
    If that doesn't work try moving your rome total war folder outside of program files this worked for me because i had the same issue as soon as i picked the faction i wanted to play as it ctd, But when i moved my rome total war folder it started working
    which folder did you copy it to

Quote Originally Posted by cesear View Post
    which folder did you copy it to
    never mind that works

"Kaetan reported the same problem than you, but I have no idea of the possible cause. He is from USSR, could it be an uncompatibility of our mod with russian version of the game?? In which language is your game, Aron?"

Im using polish version of game. Later i will try install mod on ENG version and i will write how did it go.

i moved the rome total war folder out of program files and it loads but every time i want to play a battle or load up a battle screen on minas tirith it does not work. it only freezes and does not ctd, this does not happen on custom battles only on campaign and is every battle not only sieges

Great mod. I must report that I always get random CTDs while trying to play the Minas Tirith settlement in custom battle mode.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I'm afraid the same could be happening to other people and I'd like to know the solution too.

First some important notes just in case:
    - When you reinstalled the game, it is important that you did it over a clean folder where there are no files from the previous installations, specially if you have been using v2.09.
    - Another suggestion would be to test to change the campaign map resolution (in graphical settings), or to enable/disable the widescreen option.
    - I'd also suggest to verify that your shortcut (or the launcher.bat) are pointing to the right folder where the mod is installed, and not to other folder with a different version of the mod.
    You can be sure that you are executing the latest verion if you see the historical battle "Last March of the Ents" and "Fords of Isen".

If you do not care to corrupt your current installation a bit more, could you help me to test this:

1) Open this file with any text editor:
    \alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\Alexander\descr_strat.txt
    (you may save a copy to restore it later)

2) At the end of the file you will find this:

Delete this part (all the text that I quoted), and save the file.

3) Then remove these 2 files again:
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\Alexander\map.rwm
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\advice

4) Then launch the mod (with the .bat or the shortcut). If it keeps crashing then we know for sure that it has nothing to do with the scripts or the advice file.
    i installed over a clean folder. i tried changing the resolution and widescreen but there was no change in behavior. it is the latest version im using as i can see the historical battles you mentioned but strangely enough, the historical battles ctd just like the campaign now. i deleted the text you quoted and the files but it continues to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron1221 View Post
    "Kaetan reported the same problem than you, but I have no idea of the possible cause. He is from USSR, could it be an uncompatibility of our mod with russian version of the game?? In which language is your game, Aron?"

Im using polish version of game. Later i will try install mod on ENG version and i will write how did it go.
    It was my guess for this odd issue, but thinking about it, I do not think the language would cause a crash in battle map. I can't think of any other reason to cause a crash only with free-peoples, and only to some people, I'm sorry.
    Can you play custom or historical battles with free-peoples? Maybe you can find there certain unit that is causing the troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by cesear View Post
    i moved the rome total war folder out of program files and it loads but every time i want to play a battle or load up a battle screen on minas tirith it does not work. it only freezes and does not ctd, this does not happen on custom battles only on campaign and is every battle not only sieges
    Try to reduce the graphical settings to the minimum: disable shadows and building detail, just in case. Maybe it only happens in Minas Tirith because it is the most complex city (textures, models, pathfindings...).

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Great mod. I must report that I always get random CTDs while trying to play the Minas Tirith settlement in custom battle mode.
    I have played several battles in Minas tirith, even online, and it never crashed to me. Could be certain unit type that cause the crash? We tested Mumaks, Trolls, and Fellbeasts, but I'm thinking of some huge unit in horde formation or certain catapults (both types use to find problems with narrow streets). I'd suggest to test with standard units in normal or large size settings to verify if they still appear crashes this way.

Quote Originally Posted by dookiejones924 View Post
    i installed over a clean folder. i tried changing the resolution and widescreen but there was no change in behavior. it is the latest version im using as i can see the historical battles you mentioned but strangely enough, the historical battles ctd just like the campaign now. i deleted the text you quoted and the files but it continues to crash.
    I'm really puzzled with your problem, but I really do not know what else to suggest. Maybe someone else have some idea.
    At this point, your installation might be a mess because you tested what I said to copy the whole mod to the main folder. Since this did'nt work, you are going to need to reinstall alexanderTw again, sorry the inconvenience.
    All I can say is that your problem does not seem related to the mod files, at least not the usual problems related to scripts/advices, preferences, or installation paths.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

sorry Bardo i have been busy and have not had time to report my findings. so the only time Minas Tirith seems stable is when i play it in the campaign I habe tested it attacking and defending and it seems to play just fine. I have re installed Rome and just got a new graphics card (that was a gift from a friend )
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

I'm really enjoying the mod so far, but I had a bug with Osgiliath. When I tried to go for a battle in the city, the camera would work fine for the 'speech' phase, but would the have problems when I tried to deploy or fight. The camera would suddenly only display blue sky and the game would lag massively. I could not use the camera at all, making it unplayable. I'm using a different faction to Gondor until this is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheimon View Post
    I'm really enjoying the mod so far, but I had a bug with Osgiliath. When I tried to go for a battle in the city, the camera would work fine for the 'speech' phase, but would the have problems when I tried to deploy or fight. The camera would suddenly only display blue sky and the game would lag massively. I could not use the camera at all, making it unplayable. I'm using a different faction to Gondor until this is fixed.
    In my experience this happens sporadically (had it numerous times when playing as elves) and not continously on the same battle. Try and error (-> restart) made it work for me
    Thanks beforehand (optional addition )
    With best regards,

Förster44

I just finished my Dale campaign and when I tried to start a campaign as Rohan. As soon as the strategy map loads a character moves into Edoras and the game crashes. I have started a campaign on all other factions and played a few turns to make sure and they are all fine. I would also like to note that I have played Rohan before.
    Any help is welcome
    Breenma.

The crash that you describe is caused by a corrupted "advice" file. It is fixed if you remove these 2 files:
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\advice
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\Alexander\map.rwm

Unfortunately, our campaign scripts has a random chance to create a wrong line in the advice file, that will crash the next time you start a campaign. I wish I knew how to avoid this bug... other than to disable the scripts.

Bardo you rock. Deleted both files and now my I can play as Rohan. Thanks so much.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Wondering if this is a bug...hmm...I killed Gollum bearing the One Ring on the battle map with Gandalf and Eomer and the script said, "the Ring has been lost"...

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi Bardo, first of all thanks for this release i'm having great fun, the custom settlements are just visually stunning, should really pat yourselves on the back; you, S3th and Wles have done an excellent job.

But i've come across a really annoying bug, during battles with Dale & Free Peoples Playing as Mordor, sadly it's a game stopper.. Although I can avoid it with auto-resolve but shouldn't have to do that.

I assaulted Dorwinion and tried to starve them out, got to last turn and reinforcements came just in time to lift the siege, I chose to face them in battle and it caused a CTD.
    The same thing happened at Riverrun.. I HAD a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with Dales Elite Dragon Slayers, they were present in both encounters that caused the CTD. Although I tested them in Custom battle mode, they loaded fine, maybe the ground they fight on?

I've deleted the map.rwm and advice files as well as the miles sound change and the crashes still persist.
    Wont produce an error log though unless I need to do something to turn them on?

(UPDATED) It seems to be all Dale and Free People units that are crashing my game, I can't face them without a crash happening, I was able to face Dale in the past on an open field, now it just crashes facing these factions, i'm about 350 turns into it.. So it's strange.
    Last edited by 2-D Ron; April 29, 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-D Ron View Post
    But i've come across a really annoying bug, during battles with Dale & Free Peoples Playing as Mordor, sadly it's a game stopper.. Although I can avoid it with auto-resolve but shouldn't have to do that.
    My guess is you're running into the missing texture file "zunit_bree_townguard.tga"
    Try this:
    1. Go into the folder "...\Rome - Total War\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_unit\textures" and find "zunit_townguard.TGA.dds" then make a copy
    2. Rename the copy of "zunit_townguard.TGA.dds" to "zunit_bree_townguard.TGA.dds" and then try to reload the savegame causing the crash.
    3. Does this solve the problem?
    Last edited by CapnDan; May 23, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Updated with correct texture file

Hi, I visited all the new awesome cities/battle maps peacefully but Hobbiton does always crash when I try to load it...bug?!?

So I have Rome Gold version, which includes alexander. I uninstalled and deleted all of patch 2.08, but whenever I try to start a campaign, the game crashes with no error message. I've also already deleted the advice file. It'll let me play custom/historical battles, but that's it.

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    My guess is you're running into the missing texture file "zunit_bree_townguard.tga"
    Try this:
    1. Go into the folder "...\Rome - Total War\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_unit\textures" and find "zunit_bree_militia.TGA.dds" then make a copy
    2. Rename the copy of "zunit_bree_militia.TGA.dds" to "zunit_bree_townguard.TGA.dds" and then try to reload the savegame causing the crash.

Brilliant! Works a charm, can fight against Free Peoples of Middle-Earth without it crashing... Not sure if it's resolved the Crashes I get with Dale, but i'll keep you posted. Thanks again.. +Rep

UPDATED: Yeah! Dale and Free People are now playable, no CTD's.
    although like Halvar stated, the Townsguard have black untextured swords and their shields have a black square floating above and the top half of their round shield is at the bottom half, so it needs replacing upwards... Also the Townsguard sprites go invisible when you zoom out at maximum distance.
    Similar bug with Ambushers in Europa Barbarum.
    Last edited by 2-D Ron; May 09, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I can Count to Potato

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    Try this:
    1. Go into the folder "...\Rome - Total War\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_unit\textures" and find "zunit_bree_militia.TGA.dds" then make a copy
    2. Rename the copy of "zunit_bree_militia.TGA.dds" to "zunit_bree_townguard.TGA.dds" and then try to reload the savegame causing the crash.
    Great! I guess this solution solved my CTD prloblems with free peoples campaign as well! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Side effect of this solution is that townguards look like bree militia with black buggy swords...

EDIT: Can't hire spies and diplomats with free peoples. Is this a bug? If not can anybody tell me how to activate them again. I like watching the other factions with spies...thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; May 07, 2013 at 09:13 AM.