Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Default Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Bug reporting for v3.0

This topic is meant to report Bugs or Crashes to Desktop. Please, do not post here if you have modded the files by yourself.
    I'll try to keep a list of confirmed bugs, please read it before you post a new one.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current list of known Crash To Desktop (CTD) causes, and suggested solution:

1) CTD at the start of a new campaign, just when the campaign map appears.
    If campaigns were working and later they start to crash, the cause is a corrupted "advice" file. It is fixed by removing these two files:
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\Alexander\map.rwm
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\advice

(don't worry, the game will generate a new one)

2) Trolls (and similar units like Ents or Sauron) may cause a crash in battle on some computers (in other computers there is only a visual glitch).
    The chances of crash are higher at night battles, so try to avoid them when there are trolls/ents in some of the armies.
    There are chances of crash only when some of these units appear in the field of view of the camera. A workaround is to minimize the time that trolls/ents appear in the screen.

3) CTDs during battles use to be related to sound settings.
    Set sounds in options to Miles 2D Audio, and problem should be fixed.

4) CTDs just after a battle (while loading the campaign map again) use to be caused by wrong video resolution settings.
    If you delete the preferences file, the game will create a new one based on your computer specs:
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\preferences.txt
    Last edited by Bardo; April 03, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

When playing as Isengard, the generals are speaking like Romans! They keep saying "Yes Imperator". But in battles they have the URUK-hai voices.

Yeah that isnt a bug, the campaign voices are hardcoded, they cant change them. Its a immersion breaker but there is nothing we can do. For instance even Europa Barbarorum where pratically every unit in a battle has its own voice and accent, the campaign voices are still all vanilla.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Yeah that isnt a bug, the campaign voices are hardcoded, they cant change them. Its a immersion breaker but there is nothing we can do. For instance even Europa Barbarorum where pratically every unit in a battle has its own voice and accent, the campaign voices are still all vanilla.
    Ah, i see. That's sad because it was nearly complete. Well, it looks like a new game =).

when i launced the game it gave me this error but i have alexander and everything installed:

Failed to read censored word dictionary file:

alexander/lotrtw/data//chat_filter.san

please help if you can.

Verify you installed both 2.0 and 3.0 in the same folder where RomeTW-ALX.exe is placed.
    This error with chat_filter is always caused by a wrong installation.

i'm getting a CTD when i try to load a battle screen(siege that is, i haven't tried going into a field battle yet). i had this same problem with v2.08c.

@ HunterAlpha1: we would need some more info. Which city? campaign or custom battle? Does it happen always in the same city, or the same savegame?
    Does other cities work right? Else, try to reduce the video settings to see if it works this way.

The cities in this version are completely different than v2.08: new models, new files, new folder structure. Actually, remaining files from v2.08 could cause a crash with v3.0.
    I suggest to remove the whole "lotrtw" folder before you install the v2.0, and then the v3.0.

ok i will try reducing all settings to minimum first, and if that doesn't work a complete reinstall.

how do i uninstall 2.0 and 2.08c?

and 3.0?
    Last edited by HunterAlpha1; March 22, 2013 at 01:33 AM.

If in windows, all those intallers create a entry in your Start menu, in programs\ The Lord of the Rings - Total War.
    You should also be able to uninstall them like any other program.
    It is important you also delete the "lotrtw" folder because the game create temporary files there, for the buildings and cities, that could crash the v3.0.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

I have a sort of bug to report: i was playing Noldor campaign and the goblins started attacking Rivendell from the north.I had an army usually with Glorfindell,that was now at Rivendell for retraining and he was outside the city.The next turn a goblin army attacked Glorfindell and i fought the battle and won it with Elrond controlled by the AI.So after the AI movement turn ended i noticed Elrond was out of the city with the army he had.I tried moving him in the city but i cant click with him on the city to get him inside.I tried sending him "automatically" in the city(more then 1 turn movement) but that doesn't work too.Any idea on how to solve this,because he is no good as army leader too - he has like 1 movement point ?

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

There is a trick to move the Elven Rings:
    Move another character to the same tile than Elrond, and give the Elven Ring to him. You should be able to move this character back to Rivendell before the Elven Ring makes him inmobile the next turn.
    Next turn Elrond will be able to move to Rivendell too.

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

i just reporting that at turn 50 with isengard i didnt notice any bug(s)....
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

It is more important than you'd think to hear that.
    When we pack a new version, it is hard to be sure that we really included all the files in the right places, even after some betatesting.

I'm glad that there are no important errors for now.
    The release of this version has been exhausting, we really need to rest for some time.
    Last edited by Bardo; March 22, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

I don't know if it was intended to be made this way, but when I play in custom games with Minas Tirith and I place a unit at the top, when I click on the lowest floor nothing happens. Seems like that they're stuck at the top if you deploy them there.

The 3.0 is fine so far, just one question I would like answered since I started playing. In the helm's Deep historical battle, why are all the uruk-hai in circle (maze, mob, what it is called)? Only pikemen get back to normal formation when I put them on phalanx formation. It was a bit annoying not to fully control the orcs' formation during the battle, but if it is what it was wanted to be, I can live with it.

rifleman57's Avatar Laetus

I don't have an exe file, I have a bat file. The game doesn't come any where near to launching. Lotr-TW launcher
    The bat file is: rometw-ALX.exe -mod:alexander/lotrtw. My computer search says there is not such exe file. How should I proceed?

Well check if the folder lotrtw is at "C:/your rome folder/alexander", if it isnt there you installed the mod wrong. The Rometw-ALX.exe is the vanilla Alexander total war exe that should be at "C:/your rome tota war folder/.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny12 View Post
    The 3.0 is fine so far, just one question I would like answered since I started playing. In the helm's Deep historical battle, why are all the uruk-hai in circle (maze, mob, what it is called)? Only pikemen get back to normal formation when I put them on phalanx formation. It was a bit annoying not to fully control the orcs' formation during the battle, but if it is what it was wanted to be, I can live with it.
    It was intended, in part because it looks more similar to the films, in part because it would be too easy to defeat the rohirrim cavalry with standard formations.

I don't know if it was intended to be made this way, but when I play in custom games with Minas Tirith and I place a unit at the top, when I click on the lowest floor nothing happens. Seems like that they're stuck at the top if you deploy them there.
    Try clicking one level at a time. Minas Tirith is full of ramps, arcs, platforms, etc, and sometimes the pathfinding can not evaluate such long paths.
    Pathfindings will work better if your unit has a narrow formation.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast