Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Comments, Suggestions and Gameplay Issues (v3.0)

Default Re: Comments, Suggestions and Gameplay Issues (v3.0)

Hi People!

I have a few questions!

I am in a quite advance stage of a Campaign with Rohan. Turn 124 or so. Mordor and the Orcs of the Misty Mountains are totally in Control of Middle-Earth, with the former having conquered Erebor and almost destroyed Dale, and the latter having conquered almost all of Eriador. Now the Noldor are returning (don't know how I triggered that event) and are slowly kicking the Orc's asses, reconquering parts of the lands.
    Gondor is slowly losing ground to the Southrons and Mordor itself, and the FreePeoples have only one minor town left, I guess the Burrow Downs or something.

It is clear to me that, as Rohan, I need massive help now or I can salute my wish to end the Campaign (since I need to destroy Mordor). I am quite low on money because I created a lot of units to defend Ost-in-Edhil to the north from the Orcs (would like to conquer Moria with Gimli, but don't know if that is wise), and lots of units in the main Rohirrims lands to defeat Dunland, Isengard (both are gone) and now confront Mordor.

Is there a way to get Aragorn to summon the Army of the Dead? I know the army is in the tunnels of the White Mountains, but how do I get them? Aragorn went to the north to defend Eriador from the Orcs, now I'm having him return to Edoras and I hope he will be able to summon the handy guys over there.
    Also, how exactly do they work? Will I have them available for only one battle? Can they die?

Also, once again, Mordor and the Orcs are HUGE. The Silvan Elves have only two provinces left, the Galadhrim only Caras Galadhon, and Gondor...Gondor is weak! =P
    Anything I can do to gain the upper hand? Any tipps would be greatly appreciated!!

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

I think that to have an easier time in this mod´s campaign, you really have to try and blitz your way through, if not you can´t get any help to the other good guys, in my campaign as the Galadhrim on turn 150 I have begun to turn the tide and to begin the assault against Mordor, but I had to give mone to the good factions, Rohan lost half of it´s territory to Isengard (finally nailed that wizard) Gondor at one time lost Minas Tirith (now has regained it and has retaken Osgiliath) Silvan Elves are gone, I couldn´t get to them in time (Poor Legolas) Dale and Dwarves make their last stand at the Mountain and Dale, Eriador has at last attacked Dunland, Noldor in this campaign are punks and doing nothing. It is a really challenging campaign, but the good guys get run over unless you help them with money.

And another question, I´m trying to cross the Anduin at Osgiliath but I can´t, it´s obvious that Gondor and Mordor can do it, but how come I can´t?
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

It is hard to blitz your way through if you never have enough money to build a consistent army. The Orcs and Mordor always have huge stacks of Heavy Infantry, and even with my horses it's a tough battle.
    Plus, I obviously can't leave my cities unguarded or the happiness level will sink dramatically. So for now I'm leaving about four units in each city (two infantry, two ranged) so to be able to defend myself should anyone attack, and then I build armies that march towards where the warzone is.

As I said above, also my allies have had troubles defending themselves. The Haradrim marched through Gondor, Mordor rule the East of Middle-Earth, the Dwarves are only in the Ered Luin, the Silvan Elves have only three provinces left. The Galadhrim only one. The Noldor luckily managed to fight, and are now kicking ass in Eriador. Did you manage to have them return to Middle-Earth? I guess that's when they started to be a strong faction.

I managed to get the Army of the Dead, but they are quite weak, couldn't kill two Mumakils, and were actually killed (aren't the, technically, dead already? =/ ) by the Haradrim. The game had a CTD then, so the battle wasn't saved, and I have to redo it...maybe I'll change my strategy. I was counting on them to be immortal.

About Osgiliath, have you tried moving the army into the city and out of it from two different sides? I have yet to get to Osgiliath (owned by the Haradrim of course), but can imagine that to be a way! =)

Oh, and by the way, nice AARs you wrote!

I did get the message that the Noldor had returned, I spied over in the Grey Havens and they have ike three stacks there, doing nothing I fear, early on the campaign they did retake Carn Dum but that´s about it, I realized that the Orc Rabbles are really a problem if you let them get on a roll, the Dwarves are to slow to stop them on the campaign map, and the numbers become tooo much for the Silvans to handle, so I kicked them out of Moria and I´m retaking Mirkwood, but it´s a tough battle, Mordor has most of Rhovanion and keeps sending full stacks to Mirkwood. I dont know about Osgiliath, I dont think I can march on it since Gondor has it, I did cross north of the Rauros and I´m pushing Mordor out of Ithilien, Gondor now has Minas Morgul! And do conquer Moria it´s a source of great income and has some great upgrades for armor and weapons,

Have you found the One Ring in your campaign? You could try and get it and become the new Lord of the Rings!

Thank you for your compliments, the next chapter on the Harad AAR will be up shortly. Good luck in your campaing!

Kaetan's Avatar Laetus

Why clean the walls and gates of the dwarves.
    Indeed, in all the cities were the gates.
    And that is very hard to defend. We have to keep the big ganizony in town.
    How can I get them back?

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I did get the message that the Noldor had returned, I spied over in the Grey Havens and they have ike three stacks there, doing nothing I fear, early on the campaign they did retake Carn Dum but that´s about it, I realized that the Orc Rabbles are really a problem if you let them get on a roll, the Dwarves are to slow to stop them on the campaign map, and the numbers become tooo much for the Silvans to handle, so I kicked them out of Moria and I´m retaking Mirkwood, but it´s a tough battle, Mordor has most of Rhovanion and keeps sending full stacks to Mirkwood. I dont know about Osgiliath, I dont think I can march on it since Gondor has it, I did cross north of the Rauros and I´m pushing Mordor out of Ithilien, Gondor now has Minas Morgul! And do conquer Moria it´s a source of great income and has some great upgrades for armor and weapons,

Have you found the One Ring in your campaign? You could try and get it and become the new Lord of the Rings!

Thank you for your compliments, the next chapter on the Harad AAR will be up shortly. Good luck in your campaing!
    Thanks!

Yes, both Orc Rabbles and Mordor are very powerfull if you let them get at you. I managed to have some incredible victories over them, but still, they are pretty much kicking everybody else's ass. Still, thanks to the Army of the Dead, I was able to take Minas Tirith back. It's now Rohan's, but...ooops! =D

I also got Moria and am making s of money. It would be just too awesome if I could get some mercenary dwarves from there... I guess I have to keep dreaming!

Oh, about Osgiliath, I thought you had it, didn't understand that, sorry! I will probably have that issue soon myself, so lets see! =)

I did not find the One Ring in my campaign, and pretty early on in the game I got the message that Sauron's Forces found it. I guess that is one of the reasons why Mordor is so strong! =/ Told ya it's would be a pretty steep walk up in my campaign! =/

Good luck in both your campaigns too, I hope Brando will check here anytime soon, I am experiencing quite some CTDs and would like to have some help with those. Also, the save game is now almost at turn 150, so maybe he'd like to have a look at it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaetan View Post
    Why clean the walls and gates of the dwarves.
    Indeed, in all the cities were the gates.
    And that is very hard to defend. We have to keep the big ganizony in town.
    How can I get them back?
    Hey! Please try to reformulate your question in better english, if your own is not good enough (that happens to EVERYONE if you don't use a language often, so no need to feel bad about it) get some friend to help you!

I don't know if I got your question right, but it seems like you are wondering why the dwarven cities have no gates. I guess that's because the designers though that having cities with only two entrances and no destroyable walls was already a tough challenge for players. If you have a city with undestroyable walls PLUS gates, any attacker would be in the . So I guess that's why.
    I had to fight for Moria like that. No gates, but also no walls. Just hit them with everything you got, The Hobbit Moria battle style.

And about how to get your cities back...FIGHT! Try to never auto-battle, lure your enemies with powerfull armies and so on! =)

I hope I could help a bit! =)
    I didn't play as the dwarves, but I just got Moria and might have an idea about the situation you are describing!

Kaetan's Avatar Laetus

Celebandune

I use translate google.
    do not speak English.

Middle-earth dwarves have city gates.

the game is hard to defend the city without gates.

play for Galadhrim. Moria captured. constantly attacked Rohan and selects the city.
    full garrison contain - no money.

I finished my Galadhrim campaign, I killed Gollum with random unit and the One Ring was lost, but of all people an Orc found it, so I killed him with Celeborn and became the new Lord of the Rings, I pushed into Morannon and Durthang, and I destroyed the blasted thing and Mordor came crashing down, but Celeborn died

Funny thing, now that Mordor is out of the way, the Southrons have made their move and now they have claimed Ithilien, Minas Morgul and Osgiliath

And to Kaetan, I´m not sure if I follow but are you saying the Darf cities have no gates? Because yes, some settlements have no gates or walls, but most of them do, so some of your cities will have gates.
    About the other thing, the more troops you have, the more money you spend on them, so it actually lowers your money reserves.

PS to the team, awesome, awesome settlements in Morannon, Barad Dur, Dol Guldur and Moria. Had a blast playing through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I finished my Galadhrim campaign, I killed Gollum with random unit and the One Ring was lost, but of all people an Orc found it, so I killed him with Celeborn and became the new Lord of the Rings, I pushed into Morannon and Durthang, and I destroyed the blasted thing and Mordor came crashing down, but Celeborn died

Funny thing, now that Mordor is out of the way, the Southrons have made their move and now they have claimed Ithilien, Minas Morgul and Osgiliath

And to Kaetan, I´m not sure if I follow but are you saying the Darf cities have no gates? Because yes, some settlements have no gates or walls, but most of them do, so some of your cities will have gates.
    About the other thing, the more troops you have, the more money you spend on them, so it actually lowers your money reserves.

PS to the team, awesome, awesome settlements in Morannon, Barad Dur, Dol Guldur and Moria. Had a blast playing through them.
    Poor Celeborn! =/

I am very curious to see how Mordor is destroyed if you manage to destroy the One Ring. I still havn't found it back! =(

But I am having some minor progress on it, as I am trying to cut out Mordor from getting into Gondor. I just reconquered Cair Andross, and my next move will be Osgiliath. I hold also Moria, so the souther Ered Mithrim are also basically mine. I just need to get back Limlaith, and then all of the original Rohan provinces are mine.

I had some problem with Cair Andross, though. Whenever I wanted to attack it on the battle map, I got a CTD or a freeze. Also, the game is freezing quite often lately, as if the problems are getting worse, how do I find the log file to post it for the creators?

I found Moria okay, I just fought on that map once, because all the other times I got a CTD or a freeze. I had to auto-solve the battle where I conquered it. I constantly save since I am afraid the game crashes and I lose progress. It's not a nice feeling.

If someone can help, or wants a save file, please let me know. I wanna help and be helped. =)

Hi guys, I've got a problem in my Noldor campaign. The game CTD when I click on "Next Turn" because the settlement Linhir is getting on a civil revolt.
    I tried to search on Data files where is the problem with the civil revolt in Linhir (west lebennin), but I didnt find anything. Does anyone have the same problem?

hello, i have a question: i found frodo and killed him with an unit of nazgul on fellbeast, i got the ring and i bring that unit to barad-dur to give the ring to Sauron, but nothing happened...so my question is: how can i give the ring to the dark lord?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulise View Post
    hello, i have a question: i found frodo and killed him with an unit of nazgul on fellbeast, i got the ring and i bring that unit to barad-dur to give the ring to Sauron, but nothing happened...so my question is: how can i give the ring to the dark lord?
    Just transfer the ring from your nazgul to Sauron like your would any other anciliary.

Still nothing happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulise View Post
    Still nothing happened...
    Once Sauron has the ring, just end the turn. By the next turn he should be mobile (no longer stuck in Barad-Dur) and you may occasionally gain some free reinforcements here and there.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

3.02 Gondor Campaign is awesome!!!! Thanks a lot! But I wonder why the Gondorian flag yard of Osgiliath is on the east side of Anduin river...a map rotation error or intended to make it more difficult to defend Osgiliath...???

Some Suggestions:

- don’tgive Rivendell walls on the strat map like Caras Galadhon, because Elrondcannot sally with -200% movement caused by Vilya (problem: you can be trappedby a little force of orc rabbles sieging you down, and worse is you cannot enjoythe beautiful battle map of Rivendell – I solved the problem by modifying Vilyato full movement)

- placea good stationary mordor general into Minas Morgul (maybe Gothmog) with a gooddefence ancillary and -200% movement to make it harder for AI-southrons tocapture this city (in my Noldor campaigns they always capture it!)

- Elvenwatch towers (little trees maybe with or without platforms)

- Rangerstrat map models and tiny ruins as watch towers for free peoples (hmm…guessthis is an older suggestion either…)

- Arwenas diplomat, cavalry combat unit or ancillary for Elrond

- mapsfor Nenuial (ruins of the old library etc.), Tharbad (ruins river map) andFornost (the old Arthedain fortress)

older suggestions:
    - resurrection of Arnor script
    - a real Balrog for Moria (guess it is already under construction…)
    - bonus for Anduril against Sauron
    - maps for Barrow Downs and Ruinsof Tharbad
    - Farmers and Villagersrecruitable for free peoples
    - other captains for freepeoples, they don’t really fit for the rangers and other units, a rangercaptain that leads the peasant militias would be nice
    - spearcarriers as peasant ridersfor free peoples
    - gandalf as single rider orfireball (elephant) as I saw in the unit script for free peoples when hereturns
    - radagast as diplomat for freepeoples
    - lossoth as mercernaries in thenorthern waste (didn’t they exist in older versions ofthe mod?)

Comments:

- Returnof the Noldor! Beautiful units!

- AISouthrons overrun east and south eastern Gondor very quickly and I almosthaven’t seen a Mordor force in Gondor in my Noldor campaigns (maybe becauseSouthrons tend to capture Minas Morgul quickly)

- Verynice new ancillaries!

Otherissues:

- Isthe force diplomat script disabled in 3.02? I seems to be not working…
    - Youcannot recruit High Noldors in Rivendell’s Foundry of Manwe, can you?
    - Battle map of Cair Andros crashes with Aireinforcements
    - Iwatched a ring wraith running around with the one ring for several rounds…thetrigger to bring it to Sauron might be disabled…?

Hello there Mr. von Flake (hmm is it Mr. I guess I don't really know), thought I'd try to field a few of your comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    Some Suggestions:

- don’tgive Rivendell walls on the strat map like Caras Galadhon, because Elrondcannot sally with -200% movement caused by Vilya (problem: you can be trappedby a little force of orc rabbles sieging you down, and worse is you cannot enjoythe beautiful battle map of Rivendell – I solved the problem by modifying Vilyato full movement)
    -You can hand Elrond's ring off to other characters to let him out and about; I ended up eventually enjoying the no sally thing almost as a feature as you occasionally need to worry about defending Rivendell but changing the movement points penalty for Vilya could also be a decent idea, what about making it -90%MPs?
    -Otherwise largely addressed in my wee mod (link at the bottom) by tweaking the orc faction into being a bit more aggressive

- placea good stationary mordor general into Minas Morgul (maybe Gothmog) with a gooddefence ancillary and -200% movement to make it harder for AI-southrons tocapture this city (in my Noldor campaigns they always capture it!)
    -addressed by tweaking campaign values in the little addon

- Elvenwatch towers (little trees maybe with or without platforms)
    - Rangerstrat map models and tiny ruins as watch towers for free peoples (hmm…guessthis is an older suggestion either…)
    -Cool idea, I like it, but haven't the skills or tools necessary to make that one happen sadly

- Arwenas diplomat, cavalry combat unit or ancillary for Elrond
    -Done, in the addon, Arwen is implemented as a cav (helmingas) unit in all campaigns
    - mapsfor Nenuial (ruins of the old library etc.), Tharbad (ruins river map) andFornost (the old Arthedain fortress)
    -Do you mean more custom settlement battle maps?

older suggestions:
    - resurrection of Arnor script -Kind of working on a provincial campaign that is almost this
    - a real Balrog for Moria (guess it is already under construction…) -There is a balrog in the Free Peoples Campaign but it's in as an assassin and I think removed for all other campaigns
    - bonus for Anduril against Sauron
    - maps for Barrow Downs and Ruinsof Tharbad
    - Farmers and Villagersrecruitable for free peoples -I think these might have been removed as buildable units because they make the FP ai behave stupidly
    - other captains for freepeoples, they don’t really fit for the rangers and other units, a rangercaptain that leads the peasant militias would be nice -Done, already implemented in the addon
    - spearcarriers as peasant ridersfor free peoples -that could be a good idea, I just made merc troops (incl freeriders) available instead seems reaonable that the peaceful free peoples would rely on mercenaries for their fighting doesn't it?
    - gandalf as single rider orfireball (elephant) as I saw in the unit script for free peoples when he returns
    - radagast as diplomat for freepeoples
    - lossoth as mercernaries in thenorthern waste (didn’t they exist in older versions ofthe mod?) -They still do exist, just rare and you need to go far up north

Comments:
    - Returnof the Noldor! Beautiful units!
    - AISouthrons overrun east and south eastern Gondor very quickly and I almosthaven’t seen a Mordor force in Gondor in my Noldor campaigns (maybe becauseSouthrons tend to capture Minas Morgul quickly) -the main thing I'd aimed to fix in the addon (link below)

- Verynice new ancillaries!

Otherissues:

- Isthe force diplomat script disabled in 3.02? I seems to be not working… -it definitely works, open diplomacy, click help, click 'show me how' and it should force your diplomacy in all but the most ridiculous cases (you generally must both offer and demand something)
    - Youcannot recruit High Noldors in Rivendell’s Foundry of Manwe, can you? -Nope, Noldor units actually recruited from a seperate building which is genrated by a script when the Noldor conditions are met, and since the theory is that they're returning from the sea (I think), they can't be recruited at Rivendell
    - Battle map of Cair Andros crashes with Aireinforcements
    - Iwatched a ring wraith running around with the one ring for several rounds…thetrigger to bring it to Sauron might be disabled…?-the script works it's just not automatic, there's a random percent chance involved in every turn, gives the wraith a chance to die/lose the ring or be stopped by the player
    I like that we've had many of the same comments/ideas. Check out my sub-mod as it addresses most of these and more.
    I should be uploading another newer version probably this weekend with a last little set of polishing changes and a couple of new provincial campaigns.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tRTW-3-2-addon

Thanks a lot! I will try that out when I have time...

Ah, sorry, CapnDan! I was in a hurry this morning and didn't notice your green in answers in the quote...!

Yes, your addon sounds interesting and I am looking forward to testing it...hopefully, I will have time for it during the next weeks...maybe you can send me a PM when you have uploaded the new version...that would be nice!

I am happy to hear that you have already implemented the ranger captains and that you are interested in improving the free peoples! Free peoples is my favored faction! It's a pity that no modder is around being able to create the littles watch tower ruins and the ranger strat models to make the lost realm of Arnor look even more lost...

Yes, I think I mean more custom settlement battle maps for Nenuial, Fornost and Tharbad...the maps you have in the real time battles although I would appreciate new strat map models aswell...but I know it is a lot of work and if there are no modders around it will be a dream...

Hmm...I never saw a Balrog in a Free peoples campaign...at least not on the battlefield...is there a Balrog in your addon free peoples campaign...?????!!!! Damn, I can't wait for your new upload!! And, wow, the lossoth are still around far in the North?!?!?!?

Regards and many thanks,

Halvar

I've not actually taken a look at the Balrog in game but I've spent a lot of time recently going over the mod's code so I know it's definitely in there, although removed by scripts in almost every instance other than (I think) for use as a triggered event at the Moria bit of the Free Peoples campaign.

For the Ranger captains, I think I may have slightly misunderstood, did you mean like the character model in battles for the named characters and such? If so, I haven't implemented rangers per-se, but I did re-enable a previously buggy (seems fixed) model for named characters, so captains and named characters no longer use the same model, this too is in the next release.

Speaking of the next release, it's basically ready at this point aside from a little additional Beta testing to be sure I haven't broken anything and, surprise, I just came across a kind of damningly random CTD bug based on the (Northmen) militia barracks building on the campaign map, which I can't quite figure out... So this might delay me by a few days or a week or something.

Edit: Found the bug, squashed it! No worries.
    Last edited by CapnDan; March 19, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast