Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: One Year One Turn

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: One Year One Turn

Seems like Rome 2 total war is being limited every day I read something new about it. So they got a huge budget for this game but keeps stamping this game with limits limits limits. Why in the hell in the first place are we being limited to 8 playable factions in the first place??? I just don't get why in the world we wont be able to have more then 8 playable factions. Guess it leaves room for Ca to squeeze us with Pre-order factions and DLC factions just honestly makes me sad every new total war game that comes out always brings new disappointments.

Why say we got a big check to build this game and then keep stamping the game with limits. The 8 faction playable limit is sad really is and so is this 1 turn per year more then likely guys seasons will not fit in this game either. Basically this is whats happening cut this feature and limit this feature so on and so forth. Sounds like Empire total war all over again.

Anyways I still love the series and still getting the game but disappointed once again yay....... hopefully one day ca will finally not disappoint half to almost all of there fanbase. By the way rant over I will say one thing that is good news is there is no rushing anymore good news indeed.
    Last edited by stradar1; March 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    I don't know what you mean exactly but if the metrics on Steam sold TW games show that lets say 70-80% of people play for about 150-200 turns per campaign, CA is going to make a game that appeases them. Not the minority.
    I am pointing out that there are many problems with measuring how long people will play TW campaigns. First of all there is the fact that none of the recent games is designed to go for more than 240 turns. So CA shouldn't measure those games and say, well only 1% played Empire or S2 past the end date (which everyone theoretically could have) and therefore conclude that people want shorter campaigns.

Turns don't have to be long either, especially when many functions of the game are being streamlined. The main activity in turns is unit movement.

The other point (which someone else has raised) is that people may not finish campaigns because they don't like them, not because they're too long. Millions of people finish Civ which has many hundreds of turns.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    every time I think this game will be another fiasco like the other games.
    seeing the way this is taking,units invented,arcade and acelerated campaign with one turn by year and sure a horrible AI and diplomacy as we are accustomed in all totalwar.
    every time I think more in europe barbarorum II mod as the only authentic rome II that will meet all the requirements of a great game.
    CA are experts in deception, are making it more than 12 years,promising things then fail.
    these arguments have no credibility.
    the arguments it uses that implemented the stations in a turn is pull our legs shamelessly,to CA gives equal blatantly deceive with 12 years cheating,CA believes the community totalwar are all fools.
    hopefully that CA hear people who want a good game.
    Wow. Just. . . Wow. Apparently only your opinion matters. We all bow before you your majesty.

Hi All,

what about an 11 or 13 months turn instead of one year? In this way the total turn number will increase slightly but we still can have the season change. In case of 13 months we will have 3 turns summer, then for the next 3 turns autmumn and so on.
    If you want a longer season impact just make one turn of 1 year +2 weeks.

Green_Jacket's Avatar Libertus

RTW and M2TW are sold on Steam as well.

Edit: I love RTW and M2TW (especially with mods) but most of my games don't go over 200-250 turns. The longest campaign I've played is the one I'm playing right now. The only reason it's so long is because of the 12TPY submod I have. I love it but it's getting boring. Please don't project your experiences onto everyone else and say that they're wrong. At least that's what it sounds like.
    They don't use steam source (or whatever its name is these days), so no way to get the stats unless you got every player to fill in a questionnaire.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Jack

could something like this be added to solve the weathering system that is conflicting with the 1TPY

I think they should do maybe some in-campaign real-time weather system, where if you are in you turn and have been for about 10 mins the weather would change, making sure you time your march in the best weather.

I'm definitely not keen on this now that it's been confirmed. While I wasn't as excited for the release of Rome 2 (as much as I wanted to be, the news of it just ended up being disappointing to me every time, to the point that I ended up having low expectations because of it) I was still planning on making it a release day purchase, but this is the knockout blow for me, and I won't be buying it on day 1. I'll likely wait a year in the hopes that there's some mods for it that change this (and hopefully some of the other things that I don't particularly like as design choices), and it goes on a Steam sale.
    "The only thing I'm afraid of is fear." Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I am pointing out that there are many problems with measuring how long people will play TW campaigns. First of all there is the fact that none of the recent games is designed to go for more than 240 turns. So CA shouldn't measure those games and say, well only 1% played Empire or S2 past the end date (which everyone theoretically could have) and therefore conclude that people want shorter campaigns.

Turns don't have to be long either, especially when many functions of the game are being streamlined. The main activity in turns is unit movement.

The other point (which someone else has raised) is that people may not finish campaigns because they don't like them, not because they're too long. Millions of people finish Civ which has many hundreds of turns.
    I will agree with you on this the more streamlined the campaign gets the less you have to do per turn leaving you to basically rush through the game anyways id rather feel accomplished and fulfilled after any campaign being limited time and time again every new total war game just gets worse I have spent more time on older total war titles then any of the newer ones its because most of their streamlining of the Campaign and the game itself is killing it.
    Last edited by stradar1; March 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post

Yes, I know some people don't finish campaigns because they don't like the game. I was just pointing out that that many, like myself, love the campaign but get bored of that campaign and of constantly clicking the end turn button

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

In the biggest Total War game so far, we have 1 turn=1 year, general's life=40 turns, 8 factions...

Hope you see that you are changing the formula that made TW games successful.

Retógenes's Avatar Libertus

But the problem wasn't that few people plays campaigns until the end, the problem is the people are conquered the map in the middle turns of the campaign.

Example of i want to say:
    - I have finished 2 campaigns in all TW games, (Both in Bellum Crucis Medieval II-Kingdoms mod) and I play probably 50 campaigns in 10 years.
    - I have finished 2 campaigns in CKII (I play 2 campaigns) Why? Because the difficulty of the campaign force me to continue, it's quite simple.

Yes, I know some people don't finish campaigns because they don't like the game. I was just pointing out that that many, like myself, love the campaign but get bored of that campaign and of constantly clicking the end turn button
    You must not get into the game that much then. If you beaten the game before the end date well congrats then what does it matter to increase the turns anyways I never get bored of a looong campaign I just take a break and come back another time to finish it simple.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    I will agree with you on this the more streamlined the campaign gets the less you have to do per turn leaving you to basically rush through the game anyways id rather feel accomplished and fulfilled after any campaign being limited time and time again every new total war game just gets worse I have spent more time on older total war titles then any of the newer ones its because most of their streamlining of the Campaign and the game itself is killing it.
    Actually, unless I played a mod for a TW game I found all of the vanilla campaigns so far very boring aside from the battles. There's nothing to do during peace and all you do is tell said settlement to build this or that or to recruit whatever unit. It's boring. Personally, I wouldn't say that streamlining equals boring or less micromanagement. And I would call TWR2 boring. We haven't even seen a campaign map or proper battle yet.

Primicerius

You must not get into the game that much then.
    Quite the opposite, actually.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Well Jack is basically stating that they're streamlining some things like province management but adding other things so....we just don't know how interesting each turn will be until we get to see the game in much greater detail. Actually we won't really know until the game is released and people play it. But hopefully CA will walk us through a campaign like they did with Shogun 2 before release.

Sorry to say this Jack, but this gameplay decission is laughable.
    We get told, how CA tried to get more in character dephts, how great it is to meet persons like Caesar and Cleopatra...and then we can interact with them for about 20-40 turns max.
    A very sad day for me, as i really thought Total War has an ambition to get more strategic depth.

To be honest, most of the players do not care for one soldier in your unit to look frightened, when his comrade got hit after the first few battles as almost nobody will play in the "camera on shoulder" view for long, BUT many players will notice the lack of long term planning strategic options for generals and leaders

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I dont get it, we arent getting less turns but unlimited!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Thank you for giving an offical answer to the one turn per year thing, Jack. The only question I have is when is more information on how the campaign map will be released-I have reservations about one turn per year, but if there's enough going on in a single turn (or the map has changed significantly to accomodate it) then I don't think it will be a problem.

Quite the opposite, actually.
    You are contradicting your self here when you say this you say its boring at least saying the Vanilla campaigns are boring. Its not just about the battles without the Campaign in my own opinion the game wouldn't be that great. But as it seems as of late the Campaign seems to have been dying out. Because they keep putting limits and cutting features that worked before they are breaking things that don't need fixing in my own opinion. The older titles vanilla campaigns like rome 1 and Med 2 are some of my most played campaigns I have finished 6 of them even spent 1 year on a rome 1 campaign it was epic. The newer campaigns are just I dunno cant help my self to just put them on hold alot at times. I have yet to finish any of the newer Total war campaigns accept for one Napoleon total war. One of my fav eras.

Shogun 2 total war I have been spending more time on the campaign as of late because number 1 I started playing Total war games when they came out with there first Title Shogun 1. So I for one have respect for the game but in it self Shogun 2 I feel is limited in many ways more then one. And just does not seem to have alot of replay-ability.
    Last edited by stradar1; March 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    So a few points have been raised that I would like to talk about.

Campaign length

All recent Total War games have had campaigns between 200 and 300 turns in length. Empire was 200. Napoleon 240 and so on. From metrics we have we know this to be a good campaign length that accomodates the vast majority of our playerbase. It is also the campaign length we will balance campaign around, whether that be army and agent movement distance, research and building times or how quickly generals and agents aquire skills and traits.

I know many people in tihs thread have voiced support for longer campaigns, but we know that 200-300 turns is the best campaign length. Very, very few people play a campaign for longer than that.

Why not make it optional?

All of the campaign will be balanced around the turn length, to provide even a simple slider to change the turns per year would require rebalancing the campaign for each of those settings. We want to provide a campaign experience that has been worke don a lot and is well balanced and paced, instead of spreading our efforts amongst many options which would be less polished due to the divided effort.

This is dumbing the game down!

As shown above the campaign length is in line with previous games and will in fact be longer than some of our recent titles.

What about movement distances?

Movement distances are still being balanced, but do not expect to be able to move huge distances with armies in a single turn. The forced march/double time stance will let you move 2 to 3 times the distance, but you will not be able to attack with your army if you do that. It allows for rapid movement around the map, but without the capability for headshots. Your opponents will have time to react to it.

Can it be modded?

Turns per year for campaign are specified in a similar to previous games so i'm sure some modders will work it out.

Hope this helps answer some questions.
    an argument rather simple.
    very few people play a campaign for longer than that,because the totalwar campaign reach a point that are repetitive and very boring,campaign without events,emptied campaigns,not immersive,antihistorical,superficial.
    if the europa barbarorum team had the means of CA, sure people do not get bored playing the campaigns.