Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: One Year One Turn

Primicerius

Default Re: One Year One Turn

Quote Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
    Exactly, so why are CA so adament that the campaign should encompass 300 years. If we're making our own history why should it matter if the player makes it to the early Imperial era or not?

I'd just like my Generals to last more than 40 turns.
    1) I don't think CA is adamant that the campaign should take 300 years. Maybe 300 turns. Anyway, there's not turn cap so it wouldn't matter because the game won't end. I don't even complete campaign objectives. I just play as I like. the reason they want it more fast paced than many fans want is because the average player wants those Imperial Segmentata clad legions that he can't have at the start.

2) Yeah, I'd like my generals to live longer as well.

Hmmm... So i'll be repeatedly refreshing the forums until a 4 turn year mod comes out.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    One of the biggest problems with 1TPY is if the movement ranges are increased and forced march penalties are required to discourage "headshots" of enemies on the campaign map, how will we actually have satisfying maneuvers on the campaign map? We may have ridiculously monstrous flows to armies in and out of regions on single turns. Turn 1: Italy, Turn 2: Germany, Turn 3 fight in Germany, Turn 4 Iberia, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    Depends on how they balance turns with movement of armies. It may not be realistic but if they give the same movement points for 1 year in TWR2 as they do for 1/4 of a year like in TWS2 or other games then I think it will be reasonable. Even though it may feel like you're fast forwarding through history at least there's no turn cap. You can keep playing long after the campaign deadline has expired.
    I think my idea is reasonable.

I understand that there is some concern regarding our decision to have one turn equal one year in Rome II.
    So it's official. Damn it!
    Fundamentally, it boils down to the fact that our campaign spans a considerable period of time, from the build-up to the Punic Wars through to the establishment of the Roman Empire.
    But didn't Rome TW have exactly the same time frame? That had two turns per year. One turn per year, that's nonsense, CA. I hope the modders can do something about that, while still keeping the build times etc balanced properly. What's wrong with options, CA? If the modders can do it...

Not happy at all about this news being confirmed.
    Seasons could alternate between years for the campaign map for example 270 starts with Spring, 269 Summer, 268 Autums and 267 Winter and so on.
    Fantastic! So we're playing Rome TW on Venus or somewhere - because that planet might spin slowly enough for 'seasons' to last an entire year...

Sorry CA, but this is one of the worst possible decisions you could've made in arguably the most anticpated game.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; March 19, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Retógenes's Avatar Libertus

Another deception... Is already known that the Total War series has long ceased to be for strategic gamers, but some TW "old" fans (Rome I-Medieval II and before) still had a bit of hope in this RII.

The care who CA made his games before Empire TW, never return again, it's a fact. Only the graphics advance, but the gameplay experience and campaign difficulty (Especially Empire TW and Napoleon TW) is lower in each new TW game. And without mods the experience will no change.

R.I.P, Campaign difficulty and mods in TW games, never forget you.

PD: Sorry for my bad english, I wish that my words have been understood. Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Hi all,

There has been a lot of discussion about Rome II having one year per turn recently so here is campaign designer Dominique Starr on the subject:

I will try and answer any follow up questions you may have
    That was some proper Rome II info right there. That's no giant burning balls to you. A nice, all-round explanation to one of the important questions. Thanks for addressing the concerns of your fans.
    I'm still not sure about army being wiped out and leaving a tradition behind, which can be revived. I heard somewhere that if an army is strong in sieges for example, it becomes a part of its character. Is that what's being passed on?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Originally Posted by Dan113112 Depends on how they balance turns with movement of armies. It may not be realistic but if they give the same movement points for 1 year in TWR2 as they do for 1/4 of a year like in TWS2 or other games then I think it will be reasonable. Even though it may feel like you're fast forwarding through history at least there's no turn cap. You can keep playing long after the campaign deadline has expired.
    Sure Dan, that's the way I would assume they'd do it, i.e. make the time elapse much faster compared to the campaign map movement. But Dominique at CA makes it clear that they're going to have greatly increased ranges of movement, "forced marches," with combat penalties attached to them So you move everyone into Gaul on turn 1 but you can't attack because of the penalty, so wait until turn 2 to attack, have a huge battle, then move to Iberia, rinse repeat.

Dominique Starr Yes, the map is huge and the turns long: why would it take my army one year to get from Roma to the alps? Forces are effectively moving in a state of battle-readiness but may be ordered into a ‘forced march’ (armies)or a ‘double-time’ (fleets) stance. Their movement extents are vastly increased, allowing them to assemble from afar in preparation for invasion or to support threatened possessions, albeit at the expense of their offensive and defensive capabilities: long-distance headshotting will not be a valid tactic.
    I'm sure it won't be quite as stupid as I make it sound, but it is worrisome.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 19, 2013 at 09:09 AM.

I might now revise my intention to pre order, or even buy on release. One turn per year simply doesn't cut it; I hope it can be modded before too long. Total War campaigns are meant to be epic. You can't have an epic campaign with only three hundred turns! Sometimes, you can find yourself whizzing through turns like nobody's business.

The next thing we'll find out is that the map scale hasn't been increased either, and that it doesn't feel like an epic undertaking to march from city to city, as it should do!
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; March 19, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Retógenes View Post
    Another deception... Is already known that the Total War series has long ceased to be for strategic gamers, but some TW "old" fans (Rome I-Medieval II and before) still had a bit of hope in this RII.

The care who CA made his games before Empire TW, never return again, it's a fact. Only the graphics advance, but the gameplay experience and campaign difficulty (Especially Empire TW and Napoleon TW) is lower in each new TW game. And without mods the experience will no change.

R.I.P, Campaign difficulty and mods in TW games, never forget you.

PD: Sorry for my bad english, I wish that my words have been understood. Greetings
    This simply isn't true at all. In TWR2 we're going to (or supposed to) see more cities, more advanced diplomacy, and probably more advanced CAI and BAI. ETW was a letdown but NTW introduced new features such as making conquered regions into vassals, new particle effects, and attrition. There are probably others as well. TWS2 expanded on some of these features. One turn one year doesn't mean you can't have strategy. The fact that you're saying that is ridiculous. By the way, mods are still being made for ETW, NTW, and TWS2. Some are very impressive. CA has also launched the Assembly Kit for TWS2 which allows a modder to make almost anything. Lastly, stop trolling and return underneath your bridge.

By the way, getting rid of "Capture that many provinces by this year" is so cool! I always hated the time limitation. Forced me to run my campaign to meet the target, not to run it the way I wanted.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    I might now revise my intention to pre order, or even buy on release. One turn per year simply doesn't cut it; I hope it can be modded before too long. Total War campaigns are meant to be epic. You can't have an epic campaign with only three hundred turns! Sometimes, you can find yourself whizzing through turns like nobody's business.

The next thing we'll find out is that the map scale hasn't been increased either, and that it doesn't feel like an epic undertaking to march from city to city, as it should do!
    There's not turn cap. You can find yourself in 2013 in the game and it probably won't end. Even if you pass the campaign deadline.

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

In my opinion they should redesign the concept of "turns per year" (tpy), since this is an old one.

For example, they should be a tpy for war aspects of the game, and another tpy for the economic/city management aspect; something like 4 tpy for the first, 1 tpy for the second.
    So that every 4 turns (one year) you should be able to do decisions about technology research, city management (taxes, buildings etc) and political aspect (family tree, diplomacy), and every turn (1 season) you only have to consider the bellic part of the game (moving armies and making battles), and not the others above.
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

So a few points have been raised that I would like to talk about.

Campaign length

All recent Total War games have had campaigns between 200 and 300 turns in length. Empire was 200. Napoleon 240 and so on. From metrics we have we know this to be a good campaign length that accomodates the vast majority of our playerbase. It is also the campaign length we will balance campaign around, whether that be army and agent movement distance, research and building times or how quickly generals and agents aquire skills and traits.

I know many people in tihs thread have voiced support for longer campaigns, but we know that 200-300 turns is the best campaign length. Very, very few people play a campaign for longer than that.

Why not make it optional?

All of the campaign will be balanced around the turn length, to provide even a simple slider to change the turns per year would require rebalancing the campaign for each of those settings. We want to provide a campaign experience that has been worke don a lot and is well balanced and paced, instead of spreading our efforts amongst many options which would be less polished due to the divided effort.

This is dumbing the game down!

As shown above the campaign length is in line with previous games and will in fact be longer than some of our recent titles.

What about movement distances?

Movement distances are still being balanced, but do not expect to be able to move huge distances with armies in a single turn. The forced march/double time stance will let you move 2 to 3 times the distance, but you will not be able to attack with your army if you do that. It allows for rapid movement around the map, but without the capability for headshots. Your opponents will have time to react to it.

Can it be modded?

Turns per year for campaign are specified in a similar to previous games so i'm sure some modders will work it out.

Hope this helps answer some questions.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Can it be modded?

Turns per year for campaign are specified in a similar to previous games so i'm sure some modders will work it out.

Thank you. Now I can sleep.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Primicerius

So a few points have been raised that I would like to talk about.

Campaign length

All recent Total War games have had campaigns between 200 and 300 turns in length. Empire was 200. Napoleon 240 and so on. From metrics we have we know this to be a good campaign length that accomodates the vast majority of our playerbase. It is also the campaign length we will balance campaign around, whether that be army and agent movement distance, research and building times or how quickly generals and agents aquire skills and traits.

I know many people in tihs thread have voiced support for longer campaigns, but we know that 200-300 turns is the best campaign length. Very, very few people play a campaign for longer than that.

All of the campaign will be balanced around the turn length, to provide even a simple slider to change the turns per year would require rebalancing the campaign for each of those settings. We want to provide a campaign experience that has been worke don a lot and is well balanced and paced, instead of spreading our efforts amongst many options which would be less polished due to the divided effort.

This is dumbing the game down!

As shown above the campaign length is in line with previous games and will in fact be longer than some of our recent titles.

What about movement distances?

Movement distances are still being balanced, but do not expect to be able to move huge distances with armies in a single turn. The forced march/double time stance will let you move 2 to 3 times the distance, but you will not be able to attack with your army if you do that. It allows for rapid movement around the map, but without the capability for headshots. Your opponents will have time to react to it.

Can it be modded?

Thanks, Jack. Exactly what I was thinking.

So no winter or is it all was winter?
    Basically, the rotation of the Earth has been slowed somehow, making each season last a whole bloody year!
    Can it be modded?

OK - the answer to this next question might determine whether I buy the game at all: Can it be modded, without build times or other details being thrown right out of kilter? Sheesh, you wait nearly ten years for Rome 2 and CA go and pull this on us.

Uh-oh, I think I might already have my answer:

Rome 2 TW has now gone from cast-iron preorder to wait for knowledgeable reader reviews, as far as I'm concerned.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

But what about climate variations, which is one of the major concerns till now?

According to what we hear, climate will probably be fixed and varied according to the area and not the season...
    I will still be happy though if the environments are really good and realistically made to compensate for the lack of seasonal variations.
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Thank you Mr. Lusted, but you didnt answer the, from my point of view, most important question:

Will there be seasons at all, visible on the campaign map AND on the battlemap, that give advantages or disadvantages to gameplay, or will there just be different climates in different regions?

Which means: if i wont to have a spring battle i have to fight in italy, for a summer battle in africa, for a winter battle in britain?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Basically, the rotation of the Earth has been slowed somehow, making each season last a whole bloody year!

OK - the answer to this next question might determine whether I buy the game at all: Can it be modded, without build times or other details being thrown right out of kilter? Sheesh, you wait nearly ten years for Rome 2 and CA go and pull this on us.
    The only thing different about seasons is that the game HUD says it's one year. It's still one turn one season until further notice. Only thing game breaking is immersion. He said that the turn code will be similar to other games. Mods have been made altering both the TPY and build times. Obviously the change in build time won't be automatic. You'll most probably have to change both the TPY and the build times.

One turn per year detracts from the strategic element of the game: in Shogun 2 (especially FoTS), I always planned my campaigns carefully because you didn't want to end up stuck in enemy territory during winter for six turns. Now? That is no longer a concern. This is dumbing down of the highest magnitude.
    The only thing different about seasons is that the game HUD says it's one year. It's still one turn one season until further notice. Only thing game breaking is immersion. He said that the turn code will be similar to other games. Mods have been made altering both the TPY and build times. Obviously the change in build time won't be automatic. You'll most probably have to change both the TPY and the build times.
    Well that at least is good news, assuming Rome 2 can be modded in the same way, and that we don't have to wait a whole year before we can do it.