Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [RELEASED] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

Default [RELEASED] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

Evilspleen1213's FOTS Unit Pack for Darthmod! Status: Version 1.7+

Hey guys, Darthmod FOTS doesn’t NEED more units, but it could use some. For fun, I've tried to make some...I originally intended it just for myself and my friends, but I'm showing it here too. I originally tried to make it fully historical, but that was really tough. Some of these units are historical, some are semi-historical, and a few just aren't.

Notes:
    -Will work in custom battle and campaign
    -Balance is not perfect
    -All new Republican units are unlocked in custom battle

To Install:
    -Place the .pack file of your choosing in your Shogun 2 data folder.(ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2\data")

To Uninstall:
    -You can simply deactivate the mod by unchecking it in the mod manager upon game launch. Otherwise, just delete the .pack file from your Shogun 2 directory.
    -If you followed the sound fix steps in the other readme, restore the original "sounds_fixed.pack" file to the data folder and remove the one you created.

Acknowledgements
    -weirdoascensor for his suggestions and ideas for a few of the units!
    -Cathedralsquares for his shotgun Stormtrooper idea, and helpful feedback

Version 1.7+ Download:

Default version
    -Does not contain bayonets.
    Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/97ibhqjyqn2oxff/ES_Units_DMS_v1.75.rar
    Bayonet version
    -For use with Darthmod's "bayonet boost". THIS WON'T WORK WITHOUT IT!
    Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/agrtcjbszp8a00k/ES_Units_DMS_v1.75_Bayonets.rar

*There is now also a 3rd version for the workshop version of Darthmod, check out the Steam workshop.*
    Last edited by evilspleen1213; March 29, 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Update

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: [WIP] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

Ah...Interesting...I can see you have some good mods as your Inspirations...

Some Advice:
    1>For Republican Unique Troops, I suggest:
    - Republican Assault Sappers - Elite Assault Engineers with Core Abilities of Deploying Bamboo Walls, Pavise Shields, Wooden Stakes, and Flash Grenades for helping Assaults. They could either be capped or have low numbers per unit. If you want, you can make them competent in assault, either by giving powerful charge or abilities such as Banzai, Heroic Assault. Appearance-Wise: Denshutai-style French Hats, Long Trenchcoats, double Sheets, Backpacks; May be mixed with RM Shako and Tunic.
    -Republican Mounted Scout Raiders - Think of Confederate Raiders during The American Civil War. Crack Revolver Cavalry with Long Campaignmap Range, and Battlefield Kisho Deployment. Needs to be capped. Appearance: Stetson Hats, US Kepis, with Japanese Paper and Bamboo Jingasa thrown to the mix; does not look very uniform.
    - Republican Military Police - I'd say turn your Revolver Police into This. Its essentially a Mini-General, with Support Abilities such as Heroic Assault, Stand Firm, and Second Wind...But the actual unit number and stats are piss-poor; all they can do is shouting FOR THE REPUBLIC...
    - Snipers - Very Low Numbers, but have Special Projectile made for the unit only, range of 225. Stealth, Kisho Deployment, Campaignmap Stealth. Appearance? you know the idea...

2> Isn't Surprise Attack Troops is Satsuma Domain's unit during The Seinan War? Just make them into Satsuma's answer to the Yugekitai. Satsuma only have Black Bears anyway...
    That Suits looks to...much. Change them to Officer Long Trenchcoats or Cinematic European Worker's Suits.

3> The Sendai Domain also does not have Special Units - Give Them Karasugumi, something like a Kishu Sharpshooter unit.

4> Color your Rikusentai White.

5> Stand Firm is an Ability too powerful for mere reservists.

6> Lancer Kibatai is a better name.

7>Hmm, What special unit should Saga have? Some Shizoku Samurai who resents their status abolishment and offers to be the Spearhead of Invasion of Korea?

8>The Tsu? maybe some Cheap Skirmisher...Stealthy, Kishu Training...but poor stats...There's a possible name reference but i'm not remember...

9> If you want to make Hero Units...There's two:
    -Yamamoto Yaeko Joshigun Rifles - Aizu Only - Onna Bushi Joshitai armed with Rapid-Firing Repeater Rifles.
    -Nakano Takeko Naginata Joshitai - Aizu Only - Onna Bushi Naginata Hero.
    Appearance-Wise, Use Warrior Nun model, Except for The Head.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Seems really interesting! +rep

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Ah...Interesting...I can see you have some good mods as your Inspirations...

Some Advice:
    1>For Republican Unique Troops, I suggest:
    - Republican Assault Sappers - Elite Assault Engineers with Core Abilities of Deploying Bamboo Walls, Pavise Shields, Wooden Stakes, and Flash Grenades for helping Assaults. They could either be capped or have low numbers per unit. If you want, you can make them competent in assault, either by giving powerful charge or abilities such as Banzai, Heroic Assault. Appearance-Wise: Denshutai-style French Hats, Long Trenchcoats, double Sheets, Backpacks; May be mixed with RM Shako and Tunic.
    -Republican Mounted Scout Raiders - Think of Confederate Raiders during The American Civil War. Crack Revolver Cavalry with Long Campaignmap Range, and Battlefield Kisho Deployment. Needs to be capped. Appearance: Stetson Hats, US Kepis, with Japanese Paper and Bamboo Jingasa thrown to the mix; does not look very uniform.
    - Republican Military Police - I'd say turn your Revolver Police into This. Its essentially a Mini-General, with Support Abilities such as Heroic Assault, Stand Firm, and Second Wind...But the actual unit number and stats are piss-poor; all they can do is shouting FOR THE REPUBLIC...
    - Snipers - Very Low Numbers, but have Special Projectile made for the unit only, range of 225. Stealth, Kisho Deployment, Campaignmap Stealth. Appearance? you know the idea...

2> Isn't Surprise Attack Troops is Satsuma Domain's unit during The Seinan War? Just make them into Satsuma's answer to the Yugekitai. Satsuma only have Black Bears anyway...
    That Suits looks to...much. Change them to Officer Long Trenchcoats or Cinematic European Worker's Suits.

3> The Sendai Domain also does not have Special Units - Give Them Karasugumi, something like a Kishu Sharpshooter unit.

4> Color your Rikusentai White.

5> Stand Firm is an Ability too powerful for mere reservists.

6> Lancer Kibatai is a better name.

7>Hmm, What special unit should Saga have? Some Shizoku Samurai who resents their status abolishment and offers to be the Spearhead of Invasion of Korea?

8>The Tsu? maybe some Cheap Skirmisher...Stealthy, Kishu Training...but poor stats...There's a possible name reference but i'm not remember...

9> If you want to make Hero Units...There's two:
    -Yamamoto Yaeko Joshigun Rifles - Aizu Only - Onna Bushi Joshitai armed with Rapid-Firing Repeater Rifles.
    -Nakano Takeko Naginata Joshitai - Aizu Only - Onna Bushi Naginata Hero.
    Appearance-Wise, Use Warrior Nun model, Except for The Head.
    Thank you, and yes I am very inspired by all the great modding work I see around here, including yours!

1. Cool ideas. I'll check this out again when I finally make some Republican units. I totally forgot about blinding grenades btw!

2. Ah, you're right right. I hadn't really thought about faction-specific units, so I should do some switching around and make some. And yeah I'll lose the suits

3. Never heard of them, interesting!! Also, if my google translations are working, Gakuheitai are from Sendai. Hmmm...I guess maybe I would have to make a Shogunate Marine unit to replace them for everyone else if I made them unique?? Hmmmm, not sure what to do.

4. I could do that, but are you referring to Imperial Marines, or my generic "Landing Force" unit?

5. Hmm, agreed.

6. Also agreed!

7. Interesting...what kind of unit would those guys be?

8. Cool idea as well...I'll try this

9. Ohhh interesting. If I make heroes it will be further down the line but I'll keep it in mind!

Thanks for all the input!! I will try to incorporate as much as I can...making this mod is getting overwhelming so it will take a while, but I'm having fun so I'll keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by VENNONETES View Post
    Seems really interesting! +rep
    Thanks!! (I am a fan of your work )

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by evilspleen1213 View Post
    Thanks!! (I am a fan of your work )
    I'm truly honored, and now I'm a fan of your work!

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Another unit for the Republic or just a general one is Stormtroopers. They have the guard infantry model and are armed with the donderbuss or similar shotgun. They have high melee stats and a smaller unit size with loose formation capability. They're for wall assaults and removing guys from fortified areas.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

General K's Avatar Libertus

Very very nice work mate. It's nice to see someone take a little project of their own every now and then. And this i must say certainly appeals to me

I am all for historical and traditional units and such. When you say you tried to make Darthmod "Historical" . Reminds me of myself I do a bit of editing here and there but to overhaul it, you are right. "time is very precious" I really like the variety that you have decided upon, both units and their abilities etc.

Keep up the good work. I'd definitely use this pack as it stands currently when released or available. Definitely
    " Nemo me impune lacessit"
    No One Provokes Me With Impunity

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and kind words, cool to know some people here would like to try this. Whenever I find the time, I'm continuing work on it. I'm still sorting everything out and tweaking just about everything, and making...decent icons for the units I'm done designing .

I've made some gameplay changes for some of the skirmishers...since Darth removed mass fire from sharpshooters in the latest patch, I may just reserve light infantry behavior and "all ranks fire" for scouts and guerrilla units... balance will be tricky. Also, now that Noif's Collection is in Darthmod, I'm making some extra adjustments to reduce visual conflict/redundancy.

Anyway, here are new units and some of the redesigns. Props to weirdoascensor for the tips many of these are based on! (p.s., I will try to make sure this is compatible with his artillery unit pack!)

Karasugumi
    Allegiance: None
    Prerequisites: WIP
    Abilities: Light infantry behavior, Stealth

Sendai exclusive. Elite, stealthy skirmishers for Sendai. Wear black.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Partisans
    Abilities: Light infantry behavior
    Unskilled but fun guerilla warband for Tsu, probably. Too bad the default Tsu color scheme is so silly....maybe I'll do something about it.

Yoriki
    Abilities: WIP
    Mounted police sergeants for Obama clan. Not sure what ability to give them.

Shizoku Troop
    Saga exclusive. Also not sure what I'm doing with these guys in terms of gameplay. Uniform is pretty much based on a picture of the Saga rebellion.

Prussian Sentries
    Nagaoka exclusive. I'm thinking of these as a low-level elite infantry or something. Uniform based on this: http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/...a%20police.jpg

For now, I'm playing with the idea of ALL new naval infantry wearing white, like summer uniforms. However, I tweaked the textures so tertiary team colors show up on the fringes of their uniforms.

Shogunate Marines

Shogunate counterpart to Imperial Marines.

Revised Imperial Marines

Revised Landing Force
    I still may adjust the uniform.

Also, new Buddhist Zealots

And Surprise Attack Troop will look something like this

When I make some more progress, maybe I'll release a beta. It will probably not be ready for campaign and will be really unbalanced, but it could be fun for custom battle I guess? Oh and Republican units (and MAYBE hero units...) are last on my to-do list, but those will be fun and easy, especially with the ideas you guys have posted.

Everything looks great and ill definitely be returning to FOTS/Darthmod once this is released.

One little thing that i didnt like was the kisho sharpshooters, but that might just be down to personal taste.

Itll definitely bring back a sense of mystery about the armies you will be facing thats been gone since Rome, which i absolutely loved. The feeling that you are just a small clan or nation and learn about the others strength and weaknesses as you come across them.

General K's Avatar Libertus

Great Work there mate, looks excellent I really like the variety of units you have done and continued. The new Marines look appropriate. Good job.

I am always checking on this thread for updates. Will be very nice to add more immersion to the world of Darthmod and Shogun
    " Nemo me impune lacessit"
    No One Provokes Me With Impunity

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Some Comments and Questions:

-I Think you should merge Recruits with Reservists...

-Differentiate Scouts from Vanilla Sharpshooters. Give Scouts more manuverability in expense of firepower (Shorter Range, for instance) compared to Sharpshooters. The Rapid Advance is a step in the right way. Appearance-wise, They look too traditional - add some modern shirt into the mix, but retain some traditionality.

-Republican Police Requirement? Propaganda Chain of Course.

-Have you given the ability of Deploying Pavise and Bamboo Walls for Pioneers, Sappers, and Engineers?

-Have You given Kisho Deployment for Karasugumi and Partisans?

-Yeah, Partisans need a Serious Recolor!

-Whoa, Prussians for Nagaoka? Its...Too Special...

-Haven't made more French Unit?

-bs_cine_euro_worker may look good for Satsuma Surprise Unit - It came with its own hat.

-Hey, Perhaps turning the mercenaries foreign? Foreign Mercenaries: Not Uniformed, wears Stetson ,Kepi, and all assortments of western clothes, brings repeaters, need Trading Port and Criminal Establishments. Excellent Stats, but with Very Low Morale...not dependable...

-For Luls, how about Bow Levies in FoTS with nonexistent skill? How abut Wallgunner Garrison? Heavygunners, but only for garrison only.

-Make Foot version of the Samurai Hero.
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; April 08, 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

In case you were looking, this is what Prussian marines looked like:

http://www.schmids-zuendnadelseite.d...che_Marine.jpg

some other uniforms are also seen there:

http://www.schmids-zuendnadelseite.de/uniformen.html

Just wanted to pop in and say, your units are looking absolutely GREAT, and I cannot wait to play multiple campaigns with them!

Some changes lately dudes...

One is that Loyalists have been broken into 3 units, one for each allegiance (kinda makes more sense that way imo) Republican ones are called Revolutionaries and have more morale and stuff.

I've also added a small Commando Unit with blinding grenades and whanot. Just not sure if they should be classified as skirmishers or Elite Infantry. I'm thinking about Joshitai too.

Also, icons. I find them hard to make but I've been crankin em out. Here's an example:

Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    -I Think you should merge Recruits with Reservists...

-Differentiate Scouts from Vanilla Sharpshooters. Give Scouts more manuverability in expense of firepower (Shorter Range, for instance) compared to Sharpshooters. The Rapid Advance is a step in the right way. Appearance-wise, They look too traditional - add some modern shirt into the mix, but retain some traditionality.

-Republican Police Requirement? Propaganda Chain of Course.

-Have you given the ability of Deploying Pavise and Bamboo Walls for Pioneers, Sappers, and Engineers?

-Have You given Kisho Deployment for Karasugumi and Partisans?

-Yeah, Partisans need a Serious Recolor!

-Whoa, Prussians for Nagaoka? Its...Too Special...

-Haven't made more French Unit?

-bs_cine_euro_worker may look good for Satsuma Surprise Unit - It came with its own hat.

-Hey, Perhaps turning the mercenaries foreign? Foreign Mercenaries: Not Uniformed, wears Stetson ,Kepi, and all assortments of western clothes, brings repeaters, need Trading Port and Criminal Establishments. Excellent Stats, but with Very Low Morale...not dependable...

-For Luls, how about Bow Levies in FoTS with nonexistent skill? How abut Wallgunner Garrison? Heavygunners, but only for garrison only.

-Make Foot version of the Samurai Hero.

-Maybe..Im trying to differentiate the units a bit first.

-That is indeed how I have scouts right now!

-Right, that isnt actually WIP, I thik I just got lazy typing everything up lol

-Experimenting with those, yeah

-Yup

-Yup again

-Prussians may be a bit much, yeah. But making a historical, or even semi-historical unit for Nagaoka is nearly impossible.....hmm idk

-I will, just not sure which one to make. I wanted each of my new foreign units to be a bit different from each other, so...I'm thinking of maybe a melee-oriented cavalry unit I can do visual justice to? Open to suggestions with that.

-(Everything else) I will keep these suggestions in mind. I like mercenaries they way I have them atm, but that is a good unit idea there.

Btw Republican units are in progress, and I'm particularly fond of your Scout Raiders idea!

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    In case you were looking, this is what Prussian marines looked like:

http://www.schmids-zuendnadelseite.d...che_Marine.jpg

some other uniforms are also seen there:

http://www.schmids-zuendnadelseite.de/uniformen.html
    The uniform I have is technically plausible, but it is a rare configuration, so if I keep the unit maybe I'll tweak it to something closer to this, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peasants_Galore View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and say, your units are looking absolutely GREAT, and I cannot wait to play multiple campaigns with them!
    Cool, thanks! Just don't expect perfection lol!

Anyway, this mod has grown far beyond my original "plans", and time is particularly precious lately sooo it will be a little while. I'm looking to stop adding units now (or at least FOR now), I'm overwhelmed as is. Also, this is my first mod, so cut me some slack guys lol! But anyway, work continues

I still think there should be a shotgun unit.

And bayonet compatibility at least for the modern units.

Ah yeah I keep forgetting about that. My understanding is that the blunderbuss was pretty archaic around this time...should it be a traditional dojo unit maybe?? I also can't decide if Matchlock Militants should be traditional Dojo 1 or just available at any town.

And bayonet compatibility I will do eventually, and as soon as I figure out exactly how to do it, lol (do I need permission from someone?)

Would you be willing to upload what you have done so far or is it much too early?

Ive always wanted to get into Unit modding and messing around with these files would give me an idea on how to go about it better than anything i think. Would pm'ing me the files be too much to ask?

Shotguns existed in 1870. While the blunderbuss model might not be preferable its better than nothing. It's just strange that there aren't any shotgun units in fots but I suppose that revolver cav fill their historical role rather well.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

where is the download link my friend? if its not ready what is the estimated release date?i really liked ur work.

Hey guys, sorry for my absence. I've been working on this some more.. I've changed some stuff around, added a couple more units, etc.

@agent47 and karaislam, I think I'm getting close to the point where I could release a beta version. I will definitely need help balancing this and deciding on abilities and stuff...designing/balancing/pricing some of these units is really hard!

Btw agent (and I'm sorry for the late reply), this has been a total learning experience for me as my first mod, so I know how you feel. Even as we speak I'm having trouble with crashes, but I knew NOTHING when I started. Everything I know, I learned by looking around other people's mods (Radious's unit mods, for example) and studying this really helpful thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...k-File-Manager

All you really need is Pack File Manager, but using the official Assembly Kit is helpful too, especially for visual design. Once you successfully get through the process once and get a unit working in the game, you'd be surprised what kind of stuff you can create with relative ease.

In any case, I will try to have a beta available in the coming days...maybe this weekend if everything goes well? It will probably be a bit of a mess, but that's the point of a beta I guess lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast