Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ

Default Re: FAQ

Theres a question that i have...
    How can i destroy the walls of a star forterss from the new city? I have a cannon named Kaltraunen or something and some culverins but i cannot destroy it not even a scratch, how can i destroy them?
    You cannot destroy them. You have to capture the walls with ladders.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

hmmm, the ladders are a bit problematic on those walls.
    So i reckon that the only really useful artillery for sieges that is going to be used in the mod is the howitzers
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

At the moment the walls are a project in progress - unfortunately the guy that designed them has been absent for a while and we all hope that nothing happened to him.
    The walls cannot be destroyed (more by accident then by design I would think) - it does however fit in nicely with the realities: it is virtually impossible to create a breach in a star fort wall with cannons.
    The ladder issue is described in the known error section.

Because both musketeers and pikemen are named "regiment of foot", I confuse which building to recruit them. Do they come from a same building?

Quote Originally Posted by Logios View Post
    Sweden has about 5 types of national musketeer units, and they can all easily be made into mincemeat by the Finnish "Tavastehus" cavalry unit which is also available to Denmark in the Scania region. For some reason, the Swedish armies is composed solely of musketeers and generals making heroic victories way too easy for the Danish armies with one or two of these cavalry units.
    Currently, one Tavastehus unit is equivalent to about four and a half standard musketeer units. Based on their stats, one ought to be able to defeat 8-9 standard musketeer companies with two Tavastehus on normal difficulty.

In the end people like games more when they can win.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Because both musketeers and pikemen are named "regiment of foot", I confuse which building to recruit them. Do they come from a same building?
    Yes, from Wachhaus Barracks
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; May 01, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

I have 2 questions, at first i want to say that i have experienced in some cities during sieges a total freeze, of course there are some cities that perform fine during sieges but i wonder if anyone has the same problem.
    Also thats a gameplay question of course, does anyone else feels that the pikemen are the most useful kind of troop in game? Is that optimized to be so or it was a thing of Medieval 2 itsefl, i have read that during the thirty years war in the beggining the pike was considered the elite unit and at the end the roles changed and the musketeer was the main character in the battlefield and the pikemen the auxiliary troop.
    I hope i havent asked something already answered, i've searched it in the known bug section but i havent found it.

Of course i want to say that the modification is absolutely brilliant , if you can fix the random crashes thing it would be amazing.
    It is indeed a very beautiful mod

There were frequent crashes in version 1 on sieges caused by the modifications to the walls. As you realise, units have to follow a certain route when they are on walls, they cannot jump off the walls for example. When walls are modified, if the new walls do not exactly register with the old walls, then a unit may end up going through a wall or jumping off, or ruined walls may fall in the wrong places, etc. These sorts of things cause immediate game engine violations and therefore CTDs. The CTDs do not always happen because the sensitive areas do not get by chance always tresspassed, so sometimes sieges can continue without a problem. If you get persistent CTDs in a given siege, you are just unlucky to be fighting around a segment of the wall that is buggy. You can always autoresolve.

well the strange thing is that the game just Freezes, and i repeat not in all sieges but in many of them for eg in sieges that i have done in switzerland i had the freezes, in central Europe not so many.
    Have you ever heard anything similar i mean not a ctd but a freeze?
    thanks for the quick reply in any case.

You are right, they are mostly freezes not CTDs. But they are caused by new walls. I do not think it has anything to do with a particular map location. It is just luck. It should be possible to substitute the new walls with vanilla walls and then the freezes should no longer happen.

Why the unique musketeer regiments always get deployed at the flanks of the army, unlike regular regiments? Did they historically fight so?

Icon3 Re: FAQ - Links to Ottoman pictures

I have noticed that people who have tried to link directly to my Ottoman picture collection have found the pictures don't show. This is because the sites do not allow hot-linking.

Here are the links to see the pictures:
    The Tarjumah-i Shahnamah (Translation of Firdawsi's Shahnamah into Turkish by Sharif Amidi). Copied by Darvish 'Abdi, 1616-1620AD
    . The soldiers of Afrâsiyâb battle the Iranians for the first time, from the Tarjumah-i Shahnamah
    . Isfandiyar lifts Kuhram, one of Arjasp's captains, above his head by his waistband, from the Tarjumah-i Shahnamah

Sehname-i Nadiri, 1620s
    . Captain Ali Pasha defeated 13 enemies with a Galleon
    . Osman II marching on Hotin

Portraits Of Sultans
    Another Set of Portraits Of Sultans
    The Janissaries Use Of Volley Fire During The Long Ottoman-Habsburg War Of 1593-1606 And The Problem Of Origins by Günhan Börekçi
    Ottoman Orders of Battle - late 17th-early 18th centuries
    Surname-i Vehbi, festival 1720

Costumes anciens et modernes: habiti antichi e moderni di tutto il mondo by Cesare Vecellio (ca. 1521-1601)

Illustrations of Ottoman Soldiers from Nicolas de Nicolay's Peregrinations faites en Turquie, 1577
    Turkish Janissary playing the zither. Ic Oglan of the devsirme.
    Ic Oglan. Janissary trainee who works on a farm.
    Janissary going to war.
    Janissary foot soldier of the usual guard of the Great Lord
    Boluk Bashi
    Aga, Captain General of the Janissaries
    Solak, ordinary archer of the guard of the Great Lord.
    Dress and old way of Peyk or servant of the Great Lord.
    Drunken Turks belonging to Ic Oglans, Levents and Azabs
    Turkish Cook
    Kadi el Askar. The Executor of the Laws in Turkey.
    Deli which signifies fool-hardy.

HISTOIRE DES TURCS, TOME SECOND, by Blaise de Vigenere. Paris, 1663.:
    A version including the plate descriptions in French:

Ottoman Military Illustrations from Hans Weigel's Habitus Praecipuorum Populorum (Trachtenbuch), 1577

Ottoman Soldiers from contemporary European Illustrations by Melchior Lorck, 1579-83
    Standards, horses, baggage by Melchior Lorck
    Tartars, Kurd & Georgian by Melchior Lorck

Ottomans in I Turchi. Codex Vindobonensis 8626 of Bartolemeo von Pezzen, 1586 to 1591
    Deli & Akinji
    Janissaries
    Standard Bearers
    Janissaries
    Vezier & Peiks
    Janissary trainees
    Sipahis
    Delis
    Heralds?
    Peiks
    Stoning
    Women With Scarves
    Sultan’s Favourite Wife

The present state of the Ottoman Empire by Sir Paul Rycaut, 1667

A Janizary.
    A spahi.
    The Chaousbashee or cheife of the pursuivants.
    Delee, or one of the Viziers guard.
    Emir Bashee, or head of Mahomets kindered.
    Janizar Agasi or generall of the Janizaries.
    Men in the Turkish royal court, 17th century.
    Men in the Turkish royal court, 17th century.
    The prime Vizier.

Prints made by Henri II Bonnart 1678-1711
    Garde du Corps de sa Hautesse (Solak)
    Ianissaire (Janissary Guard), soldat de la garde du grand Seigneur
    Ianissaire (Janissary)
    Peicz (Peik), Laquais du grand Seigneur

Caspar Luyken Prints from Abraham a Sancta Clara's Neu-eröffnete Welt-Galleria, 1703

Paintings of Ottomans by Jean-Baptiste Vanmour, 1699-1737
    . Illustrations of Ottoman Court Officials by Vanmour
    . Illustrations of Ottoman Government or Religious Officials by Vanmour
    . Illustrations of the Ottoman Military by Vanmour
    . Illustrations of Ottoman Civilians by Vanmour
    . Illustrations of Ottoman Balkan Inhabitants by Vanmour
    . Illustrations of Ottoman Asian & North African Inhabitants by Vanmour

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Ottoman Costume & Soldiers

Cilician Pirate's Avatar Libertus

Hey guys great mod. I have some amateur questions though….

Concerning the new patch number 3, do we have to back up ourfiles or anything before we install it? I was confused when you were talkingabout disabling the “better lighting” and “better water” features….. So myquestion is: do we just simply download the patch and install it like the lastprevious two patches, or must we do something else more complicated??

Also, why do the Swedish units speak with English accentsand praise Englandwhen you click on them? This breaks immersion a bit, …. is there anyway you canget them to speak with Swedish accents and praise Sweden instead? Or is it simply dueto the limitations of M2TW??

i searched a long time, but the only swedish people i could find in germany were really hot fashion models, but they had no interest do speak some nice words for a m2 mod

Quote Originally Posted by Monguntiacum View Post
    i searched a long time, but the only swedish people i could find in germany were really hot fashion models, but they had no interest do speak some nice words for a m2 mod
    Hahaha, I see. Well I’ll just pretend that there are a lotof English mercenaries in the Swedish ranks, and they are the ones making allthe noise.

But what about Patch #3? Do we have to back up our files oranything before installing it??

Blog Entries

Patch three is not save game compatible if that's what you mean - it will not affect your current game or might mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Patch three is not save game compatible if that's what you mean - it will not affect your current game or might mess it up.
    What about the post you made earlier, which talked about backing up and restoring the "better water" and "better lighting" (globallighting) files, before installing the Third Patch?? ..... What is that all about??

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Why the unique musketeer regiments always get deployed at the flanks of the army, unlike regular regiments? Did they historically fight so?
    Sorry I do not know why I have only now seen this. It was something of an oversight, you were the first to notice. Of course they were infantry regiments, they will be placed where they belong in a forthcoming patch. Late in the war, when there were plenty of extra musketeers, the extras were sometimes placed in the flanks to cover the cavalry. However, they should have musketeer not dragoon stats. And this deployment of extras on the flanks, when there are too many musketeers available, is taken care of by the describe_formations file anyway.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; May 29, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

I can't get the game to start... I only get to the first loading screen before it crashes with no error message. I have M2TW on Steam

Blog Entries

Did you install all three parts (into the correct folder)?

Yes, but now it won't even start