Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinning cursor

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Spinning cursor

Quote Originally Posted by Katagelan View Post
    I knew it would happen ! The spinning cursor struck me !
    But I noticed something : an AI army was stuck in perpetual movement going and returning at the end of a bridge.
    Using a console command, I moved the unit and voilą ! cursor stopped spinning !
    How did you find that AI army? And also, how did you know that it was in perpetual movement to and fro the bridge? Man this sucks, I can't even reach 1630 with this bug .

The perpetual movement was seen because it was taking place !
    Why did I look there ? Pure luck.
    There are not so many long bridges for this to happen, just look them up.

Hi! Press Esc once while your savegame is loading. This just worked for me just now. I only tried it one time, so I'm not sure if it's a bulletproof method

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Katagelan View Post
    The perpetual movement was seen because it was taking place !
    Why did I look there ? Pure luck.
    There are not so many long bridges for this to happen, just look them up.
    What the..! I finally saw it! . Anyway, even if I used the move_character command it just "teleports" back to its perpetual stroll at the bridge. How did you manage to move the character Katagelan?

To the developers of this mod:
    Why in the world is it doing that?
    Last edited by xxxMoRaVexxx; March 27, 2013 at 06:34 AM.

I think it might be the bridge tile is for some reason acting as both a bridge and a water crossing. Units in game can stand on bridges, but water crossings (the green arrow kind) they'll teleport to one side or the other if they lad in the middle.

The perpetual movement was caused by the presence of the unit of another faction whose zone of control made two tiles illegal.
    The console command must specify coordinates.

Unfortunately, this old chestnut from 1.x is back in 2.x. I just lost my most recent save as Sweden due to the dreaded spinning cursor bug which happened after an event pop-up at turn's beginning. (This bug was eventually stomped-out in 1.x so it's frustrating to see its return in 2.x)

Sadly, this mod is really undercooked: random CTDs, corrupted saves, and now the spinning cursor. It's almost unplayable in its current status. I know a patch is imminent, but it better be a doozy to fix all these issues.
    Last edited by MKeogh; March 29, 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Domesticus

Im having this same problem. Im playing as the Archbishopship of Breman, Turn 116, 1627

Im gonna look for some idiot character trying to move across a bridge I dont know how to do it though, but hopefully someone here can help me soon.

I doubt its a pop up

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The only sure thing to avoid this, is to make a save (new one, not overwrite) every 10 rounds or so. We haven't found anything that may trigger this. A character moving over a river should return to the beginning of the crossing if his movement points are not enough. Why it goes into a loop is unknown.

Domesticus

Damn Oh well, I'll play as the Polish or Swedish now

There are probably more than one reason for the spinning cursor. I have not noticed the one with the character on the bridge. However, I have generally avoided the spinning cursor by keeping my building cues to a minimum (in fact I no longer see it). The most frequent cause of it I suspect is that the CAI has a conflict on what to build, if there is not enough money. If it cannot resolve the conflict, it goes on indefinitely in a loop. Why this does not happen in other mods, I have no idea. It may be that buildings cost different amounts of money or that a script that would resolve such conflicts has been accidentally corrupted.

It may be that sometimes by pressing escape, reloading an earlier save, etc, you do something that resolves the conflict or the campaign develops in such a way that the conflict does not arise (more or less money available at the end of the turn) or that you break the loop in some other way.

But keeping the building cues small (ideally no more than one red item cued) has solved the problem for me.

Domesticus

Good point, the turn it crapped out on me was, I was in the red. Negative 500

Must be a mistaken script

To make the team feel better, due to the earlier post...for such a huge mod, it is VERY solid. Ive not seen any silver surfers, and the game save corruption is the worst, and it was solved

Also, sometimes spinning cursor, but I do frequent backups, so you can just load the game and the next transmission through challenging place ... I guess it's just random collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by tombergr View Post
    Also, sometimes spinning cursor, but I do frequent backups, so you can just load the game and the next transmission through challenging place ... I guess it's just random collapse?
    If you keep your building cues to a minimum, as few red items as possible (preferably none), you should rarely, if ever, get the spinning cursor.

There is no solution for such a silly issue? I have never seen this in any mtw2 mod.

Blog Entries

Nor did we and it stumped us.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Would it be worth running an auto-campaign (with FOW off) and trying to confirm if the bug is caused by the army stumbling across the bridge?

Blog Entries

I have seen agents going half way across a long bridge and then returning if their movement points weren't enough - don't know if that could be the fault of a spinning cursor. After all it's endless\looping processing that keeps the cursor spinning.

Worth a try I guess.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

I'll give it a go in my next campaign (my first was ended after 12 turns by this).

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I noticed this thread because it mentioned spinning cursor. We had something similar happening in MOS 1.7, that is, an army not being able to reach its destination, but endlessly keeping trying to achieve it nonetheless. We eventually got rid of it by making some changes in the map, but before that I made a little instruction video on how to solve it by console, as somebody in this thread already mentioned. So this is just for problems with a never ending moving army.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast