Thread: Roman Leadership/Traits

Default Roman Leadership/Traits

Hi everyone,
    New patch 2.6 is really great. I have just started Roman 1 Turn campaign. I have never played romans in RS (mainly because that rebelion bugs) and now after 2.6 was finally released i have started for the first time (Hannibal is already killed ). But... I am really lost with the leadership system and traits... I have been searching the forum for a couple of hours but i didnt find anything helpful... Is there any info or a guide, please?

Default Re: Roman Leadership/Traits

Ok, nobody reply to me, but its ok, I have finally found something good. Is it working like is written here? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-Information
    I have already triggered the reforms, having conquered most of the Gaul and Africa, ... But I am still wondering about few things...
    1) What is the meaning of "Imperium" trait? I had several generals which had this trait.
    2) In that preview is written that legion ancillary should be given in particular cities... I have just started recruiting of VII Claudia PF in Rome... Do i Need a general with some traits or ancillary of that legion before he can command that legion? or can i select whoever I want and give him whatever I want (units from different legions or ancillary of different legion - I already have I Germanica for example...)???

In that preview is so many ranks and offices... My commander which defeated Hannibal and conquered most of southern Gaul had 10 command stars (legendary commander) but he was only senator Do I need any of these traits to command named legions?

Tiro

I want to ask about "Imperium" trait - is is bad and should be avoided? How many years can Imperium last and what effects will it cause?

Ok, nobody reply to me, but its ok, I have finally found something good. Is it working like is written here?
    I think there were a few fixes/tweaks on Roman leadership, but yes, it's basically like comment #6 there describes.

1) What is the meaning of "Imperium" trait? I had several generals which had this trait.
    I hate to spoil the fun of you finding out the hard way ...
    It's apparently triggered when a family member/general doesn't end the turn inside a settlement. As the descriptions says, they've gotten permission from the Senate to command an army. That doesn't do anything when you first get it (when it just says "Imperium"), but their loyalty will start to drop each turn if they keep staying out of settlements after several turns (the trait will be revised to mark "year 1" and so on). Going by what I'm seeing in the traits file, they get a couple of years with no problem, then it's losing loyalty each turn after that. What else that might trigger as things progress (let's say you push it because he's already very loyal so you think it's no big deal), I have no idea.

2) In that preview is written that legion ancillary should be given in particular cities... I have just started recruiting of VII Claudia PF in Rome... Do i Need a general with some traits or ancillary of that legion before he can command that legion? or can i select whoever I want and give him whatever I want (units from different legions or ancillary of different legion - I already have I Germanica for example...)???
    No, you don't need the ancillary to use the legion (or vice versa), or need to use anyone in particular since you can switch those ancillaries around to others. They give some minor bonuses like +1 morale, but mainly they're just for fun. Because it's a fun game and games are supposed to be fun.

In that preview is so many ranks and offices... My commander which defeated Hannibal and conquered most of southern Gaul had 10 command stars (legendary commander) but he was only senator Do I need any of these traits to command named legions?
    Nope. You never actually need a general at all, much less one with specific traits or ancillaries. Of course, I recommend that you do have one, preferably a good one like yours, with lots of awesome traits and ancillaries and command stars and so forth.

And being "only a senator" is better than it might sound. Let him govern a province for a while, since he'll be eligible for elections.

The Legion Ancillaries have changed (unless they changed back?) - and this could, perhaps, be added to the summary listing if still true? (All my lovely little bit of coding.....)

All are now received, in order, in Roma - so you no longer have to go hunting.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Thank you very much! Well, I dont think that Roman leadership is bad in Roma Surrectum, It is just too complicated.... Historically it was so complicated, and this mod is MUCH historical correct, but for the first-timers of roman campaign it is quite a lot of information. I really like the way how RS is done, the new patch is also great, but personally i would appreciate one "sticky" thread on this forum about romans - leadership, traits, ancillaries, some specific buildings, e.t.c... This forum is a little bit confusing for me I lost a lot of time just buy searching information. Not about reforms, reforms and legions recruitment is clear (important stuff is great) but those other things were not so clear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    The Legion Ancillaries have changed (unless they changed back?) - and this could, perhaps, be added to the summary listing if still true? (All my lovely little bit of coding.....)

All are now received, in order, in Roma - so you no longer have to go hunting.
    Yep, I got ancillary of I Germanica in Rome instead of Arretium.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Holding Imperium or authority was granted to the higher ranks of Roman magistrates.
    They held the power and represented Rome on the controlled territories. Consuls and Praetors are examples of this ranks. Sometimes and we have an example in Caesar, the magistrates would refuse or resort to all kind of measures to extend their authority, thereby loosing trust from the Senate who would immediately suspect that a possible coup would be in march.

So your Roman general (by now i believe family members only, but Tedric, DVK or Tone will have to confirm me on that) will start counting Imperium as long as he does not enter and remain in a settlement for a turn. In ultimate case he can rebel and his army with him.
    It happened so on my test campaign, but i had Generals with over 8 years of Imperium.

As to Legion Comand Ancilliares they are received in Rome, can be given to other characters and they give a bonnus to comand, but they are not mandatory.
    Last edited by Sertorio; August 29, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

So your Roman generals (by now i believe family members only, but Tedric, DVK or Tone will have to confirm me on that) will start counting Imperium as long as he does not enter and remain in a settlement for a turn. In ultimate case he can rebel and his army with him.
    I'm pretty sure I've already seen it with recruited generals as well. There was one I recruited in Sardinia who commanded a field army there for a while, since the Carthaginians kept trying to invade.

But maybe it's less likely for them or takes longer? I could check again, but I don't think one in Greece has gotten it at all, while some family members who were moving around in Italy/Sicily all seem to have gotten it right away.

Tiro

Imperium trait. I got tired of it. Very nice initiative, but I hate to exchange my generals all the time between settlements and field armies. Also I keep spies in my armies to prevent from assasination (if it helps at all) and when I put general in town/city I have to send spy there as well, than both of then back, then repeat everything again and again... Or maybe my 0-turn campaign was too extensinve ant I got tired of it too fast.