Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2's unit sizes, legion sizes, battle sizes and full battle scales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Icon5 Rome 2's unit sizes, legion sizes, battle sizes and full battle scales

Hi lads,

I was wondering if there's any news from CA or anyone, about the size of the upcoming battles and the possibility of having reinforcements controlled by the AI, even from your own side.

There are some things I am concerned about:

1. What size will the legions be? Will we have 40 units in each army, or will we have bigger units instead (resembling cohorts, such as 480 men per unit)?

2. Will the battles reach 25.000 or even 30.000 men without lag? Because in previous TW games I had steady FPS around 40, but the game engine was lagging, causing the battles to be unplayable.

3. The last concern was already named, the reinforcement system. Will the old system of full reinforcing armies be re -implemented? This will, of course, be necessary to be able to play epic battles.

What do you guys know about these things? If anyone does, please share it in this thread!
    This is the time to have an EPIC wargame. A real total wargame. Larger battlefields simply bigger battles, no 5000 vs 5000 anymore.

It is time to go real as possible!!!

Regards
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Rome 2's unit sizes, legion sizes, battle sizes and full battle scales

8000 vs 8000 will be the largest 1vs1 battle I think.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

Default Re: Rome 2's unit sizes, legion sizes, battle sizes and full battle scales

Feel the thunderous clash of battle as the Roman war-machine takes to the field in real-time combat. Tens of thousands of men collide in bone-splintering detail that you directly control.

This is from the site... So I thought about 20.000 or even 30.000 total. It would be good actually, 3 legions vs 3 legions! Or even 4 legions vs 4. It would be realistic enough.

I know it is impossible to show 50.000 vs 50.000, but it would be epic nontheless

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I'd say the average unit size will be about 300 men? Maybe a little less.

With 20 vs 20 infantry units that could give about 6000 a side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post

That is true Sharpe.

But still CA claim to put 'tens of thousands'on the screen. That's like 10.000, but then in multiple terms right??

We have all seen the Carthage battle preview, the city is big enough to harbour as many as 20.000 or 30.000 men? Imagine how epic that would be!!

Bu then it is perhaps my misunderstanding, they mentioned in previous TW-games thousands of units, now they are speaking of tens of thousands.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Poniatowski1991 View Post
    But still CA claim to put 'tens of thousands'on the screen. That's like 10.000, but then in multiple terms right??
    Where ? They only said that their goal is to maintain the same minimum requirement than Shogun 2.

I go for 8000 vs 8000 with double stack for both side at very max (understand it will never be the case in campaign or even in MP).
    Probably something similar to Shogun 2 in term of max unit side. That only goes for the bigger troops aka low/medium spearmen and peasant. The rest of the troops will be similar to Shogun 2 samurai and bowmen. And like always cavalry will be smaller.

So would go for something around 6000 soldier for two complete stack balanced. That means around 12 000 soldiers in case of two complete stacks against double complete stacks for a battle.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; March 10, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

That is true Sharpe.

We have all seen the Carthage battle preview, the city is big enough to harbour as many as 20.000 or 30.000 men? Imagine how epic that would be!!

Bu then it is perhaps my misunderstanding, they mentioned in previous TW-games thousands of units, now they are speaking of tens of thousands.
    This was a good thread, we need to bring this back up again. How big will the unit sizes be, and will it be different from faction to faction. Or just Unit to Unit. We saw how big romes army was, is that the standard size for all units? All factions?
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

It's not 20 vs 20. It's 40 vs 40.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by -=PHX=-Hades View Post
    It's not 20 vs 20. It's 40 vs 40.
    Where does it say that? I know it will be 40 v 40 with reinforcements but I assumed normal battles were 20 v 20.

6000 its not enough - for real historical battles we need 20000 or more.

An example:
    Consular army's had 2 roman legions, 2 Socii legions called Ala, 2 roman Equites Alae a 200-400 men, 2 Socii Alae a 300-600 men and the Extraordinarii with 4 - 8 Socii Infantry cohortes and an Elite Cavalry Ala with 600 menpower.
    The 2 roman legions (after Polybios) had 10 Hastati Manipuli a 120 men, 10 Principes Manipuli a 120 men and 10 Triarii Manipuli a 60 men. also 40 men Velites for every manipuli (alltogether 1200 Velites possible split in extry 10 units) - in this wise 40 units only for one of the roman legions without cavalry.
    The Socii legions are organisated in City or tribe region cohorts with 400-600 men, fight possible in the same manipular tactic like the roman legions.

If they use the early republic manipuli system also in cohortes with 120 men Hastati - 120 men Principes, 60 men Triarii and 120 men Velites (BTW first used in spain from Scipio !!!) than we have the 480 men of the Marian cohort also in republic time and can see 10 cohort units for one roman legion.

The 10 Turmae a 30+6 men of the roman Alae = 360 men and maybe the same poser for the Socii Alae we have 2 roman Alae units, 4 Socii Alae units and 2 Extraordinarii Elite Cavalry Socii units - alltogether 8 units for the Cavalry in an consular army.

H.Balck
    Last edited by AndyMoszejevsky; March 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Trixie's Avatar Libertus

I'd say the average unit size will be about 300 men?
    This is madness! Im sorry I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by protoequestrian View Post
    This is madness! Im sorry I had to.
    Madness!?!? No. This is... something else... but for the life of me, I can't place it...

♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Individual unit sizes will probably remain the same for the sake of peoples' computers.

This is mentioned on their site, finally tens thousands of men: http://www.totalwar.com/en_us/rome2

6000 vs 6000 would be catastrophic, I was aiming at real epic battles! I believe it should be epic this time, I aim at 20.000 vs 20.000 max!!!
    That would be Rome for real!!

Besides, also look at the fact that the cities are bigger, much bigger. There won't be any pathfinding issues!!!

I may hope for them to give us the possibility to play with multiple legions, otherwise I am off with this one.
    Last edited by Poniatowski1991; March 10, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

This is mentioned on their site, finally tens thousands of men: http://www.totalwar.com/en_us/rome2
    You got me here.

Still I would be cautious with this line. Everyone who played M2TW can know how the more than 250 units turned to be. A good half of them were spearmen militia or peasant bowmen with different clothes colours. Marketing is marketing. I don't blame CA for that.

And 6000 vs 6000 is remarkable. Especially given the detail of each models. Did you tried different strategy games ?

6000 vs 6000 would be catastrophic, I was aiming at real epic battles! I believe it should be epic this time, I aim at 20.000 vs 20.000 max!!!
    That would be Rome for real!!

Besides, also look at the fact that the cities are bigger, much bigger. There won't be any pathfinding issues!!!

I may hope for them to give us the possibility to play with multiple legions, otherwise I am off with this one.
    Well I do hope so too, but I'm recalling that since my childhood, every single RTS game I bought promised 'TEN THOUSANDS UNITS' **sparkling lights** on the jacket while you barely could see or managed to build the tenth.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Too many troops leads to pathfinding problems apparently

But alright,

We all shall see what it will turn out to be. I am just looking for huge battles such as the History Channel's Decisive battles.
    If they can, why shouldn't we?

That is why they have the opportunity now to work on it. But they are promoting it on their site, tens of thousands of men, then please do not come up with 6000 vs 6000, we all had that before. And it gives a feeling of far less with these bigger cities.

I also play paradox games. But I miss the battles, I loved Rome for that. AI reinforcements, 3 stacks full of them.

4 legions in battle, 16.000 men what nice! It kicks ass, it certainly does.
    But the engine cannot handle it, that was the fact. Now they are showing us that they have overcome it apparently.
    Last edited by Poniatowski1991; March 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

How many units were in M2?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast