Thread: Battle of Franklin

Rithal's Avatar Foederatus

Default Battle of Franklin

Removed because of too many people wishing to "correct" the mistake I made when referring to the dates at which this battle occurred. (via private message. nothing to do with you Careos)
    Last edited by Rithal; April 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM.

Default Re: Battle of Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    The Battle of Franklin took place in Franklin, Tennessee roughly 15-25 miles south of Nashville. Some historians consider it one of the most bloodiest battles of the war. I feel, being a Tennessean, that this battle has been overlooked by many. People may say "There were only 8,000 casualties, Gettysburg had almost 6 times as many." Gettysburg was a 3 day long battle. The battle of Franklin was a mere 5-6 hours. That's about 3 times as many casualties per hour in Franklin than in Gettysburg. Other people may say that the reason Gettysburg was a big deal was because of it's significance. Gettysburg was extremely significant but so was Franklin. The Battle of Franklin drove the confederate armies in Tennessee south to northern Georgia where the battle of Chickamauga took place. If the south had won the Battle of Franklin, Chattanooga would've never fallen and the majority of the south's infrastructure would've stayed connected throughout the states. Now that I'm done with my little rant let me say that I'm not expert and some of the things I have stated might be unintentionally wrong. Anyways... the whole point I'm trying to make is that Franklin would be very interesting to put in the game as a battle scenario. I know you are all hard at work and this is just a suggestion. I know you want to get the core game components that you are developing out as soon as possible, but this was just a thought. If, hypothetically, you were to make some new maps, I believe this should be at the top of the list. Like I said, I know you all are busy and you have no time for this, but it would be a wish come true for some sort of civil war based community to recognize the significance of this battle.
    In my humble opinion, if someone makes new maps,than First make Fredericksburg,Than Remake the Chattanooga map,than Chickamauga,than Franklin. Than Vicksburg,and so on. But maps are near the bottom of the list... Bug since you're so interested in them,why don't you give it a try on making them! It may be hard,but search for some tutorials,ask some questions,and have a project to work on in your spare time! This mod needs enthusiasts like yourself!

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

We currently have absolutely noone on the team with knowledge or the will to make battle maps.

So, if you wanna see any additional ones in game, volunteer and make some.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

I expected this response . The only reason I don't make maps myself is because.... i have no idea how to. You've referred me to a tool for it before but i'm not great with stuff such as this. I also agree that Fredericksburg would be at the top of the list RollTide. It was just a suggestion. It might be cool if you could try to find someone with pure map making abilities that would volunteer to make maps. Also, if it's knowledge of battles you need, I'm there.

I expected this response . The only reason I don't make maps myself is because.... i have no idea how to. You've referred me to a tool for it before but i'm not great with stuff such as this.
    Well I wasn't any good either, till I learned some.

Start here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...aking-tutorial
    and here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ordz-Map-Tools

...then all you need is time and willpower

Oh yeah, I am also in favour of Fredericksburg first

I have the links, like you've sent me many times Trig, but what are all of the things I need? do I download everything? or do I just download some of the stuff. Very confused. If you can set me on the right path I can surely make a Fredericksburg map.

Well, I know at this moment as much about mapping as you do. I never did it, never tried. I do textures and models, pappagoat does coding, this is how we do stuff atm.
    So, if I were to learn making maps, I'd start by reading those links I gave you. I am sure they tell you there what proggies you need to DL, what to do with them, etc.
    Then if you'll have further questions, you could ask in that very place, since people that seem to know something about map-making seem to congregate there.
    Basically any source of info there would be a better one than me.

Now, once you have that bit covered, you can count on me making any models you'd need for that map, such as a proper replica of the Fredericksburg church, and you could count on pappagoat putting the objects and the maps into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Well, I know at this moment as much about mapping as you do. I never did it, never tried. I do textures and models, pappagoat does coding, this is how we do stuff atm.
    So, if I were to learn making maps, I'd start by reading those links I gave you. I am sure they tell you there what proggies you need to DL, what to do with them, etc.
    Then if you'll have further questions, you could ask in that very place, since people that seem to know something about map-making seem to congregate there.
    Basically any source of info there would be a better one than me.

Now, once you have that bit covered, you can count on me making any models you'd need for that map, such as a proper replica of the Fredericksburg church, and you could count on pappagoat putting the objects and the maps into the game.
    It's a Christmas miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide990 View Post
    It's a Christmas miracle!
    I suppose it is. No guarantees but I will do my best to accomplish this. I am the least qualified person to do it however... I have no experience in coding/modding/packing & repacking. Hmmmmm maybe santa will give me some of his magic!

Hmmmmm...... I'm lost. Have no idea how to do this. Help someone? Plz?

Hmmmmm...... I'm lost. Have no idea how to do this. Help someone? Plz?
    Consult the map makers on their thread...

The Battle of Franklin took place in Franklin, Tennessee roughly 15-25 miles south of Nashville. Some historians consider it one of the most bloodiest battles of the war. I feel, being a Tennessean, that this battle has been overlooked by many. People may say "There were only 8,000 casualties, Gettysburg had almost 6 times as many." Gettysburg was a 3 day long battle. The battle of Franklin was a mere 5-6 hours. That's about 3 times as many casualties per hour in Franklin than in Gettysburg. Other people may say that the reason Gettysburg was a big deal was because of it's significance. Gettysburg was extremely significant but so was Franklin. The Battle of Franklin drove the confederate armies in Tennessee south to northern Georgia where the battle of Chickamauga took place. If the south had won the Battle of Franklin, Chattanooga would've never fallen and the majority of the south's infrastructure would've stayed connected throughout the states. Now that I'm done with my little rant let me say that I'm not expert and some of the things I have stated might be unintentionally wrong. Anyways... the whole point I'm trying to make is that Franklin would be very interesting to put in the game as a battle scenario. I know you are all hard at work and this is just a suggestion. I know you want to get the core game components that you are developing out as soon as possible, but this was just a thought. If, hypothetically, you were to make some new maps, I believe this should be at the top of the list. Like I said, I know you all are busy and you have no time for this, but it would be a wish come true for some sort of civil war based community to recognize the significance of this battle.
    I am sorry I have to say this, but you really need to examine history. The Battle of Franklin took place in late 1864. Chattanooga and Chickamauga took place in 1863. There is no link. Atlanta had fallen well before the battle of Franklin, the infrastructure you speak up was already gone. Franklin was part of Hood's Tennessee Campaign in the overall objective was to divide and conquer Sherman's army in Tennessee. This began with Spring Hill, then onto Franklin and finally Nashville. Following the defeat at Nashville, Hood then retreated. No more offensives were practical. The significance of Franklin is not in the losses, but the losses themselves. 69 field grade commanders for the confederacy was lost that day; including Patrick Cleburne. Franklin was an example of an overzealous commanding general who was not only physically unfit for command (1 arm in incapacitated and 1 leg missing), but most likely insane from symptoms of syphilis.

Sorry, I do not want to be a troll, but bad history just as bad as no history.

Quote Originally Posted by Careos View Post
    I am sorry I have to say this, but you really need to examine history. The Battle of Franklin took place in late 1864. Chattanooga and Chickamauga took place in 1863. There is no link. Atlanta had fallen well before the battle of Franklin, the infrastructure you speak up was already gone. Franklin was part of Hood's Tennessee Campaign in the overall objective was to divide and conquer Sherman's army in Tennessee. This began with Spring Hill, then onto Franklin and finally Nashville. Following the defeat at Nashville, Hood then retreated. No more offensives were practical. The significance of Franklin is not in the losses, but the losses themselves. 69 field grade commanders for the confederacy was lost that day; including Patrick Cleburne. Franklin was an example of an overzealous commanding general who was not only physically unfit for command (1 arm in incapacitated and 1 leg missing), but most likely insane from symptoms of syphilis.

Sorry, I do not want to be a troll, but bad history just as bad as no history.
    I do enjoy all the information here, but in his defense he did say, "I'm done with my little rant let me say that I'm not expert and some of the things I have stated might be unintentionally wrong", but I understand youre point. I have no idea who and what were the causes of the results that happened. I live close to the area and would love to give map making a try and see if I cant get a good Franklin model down, but like I said, Im not a map maker...I cant even figure out how to install my 3.4.1 patch, but I can say that I play the crap out of this mod and I love it....