Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: !!! 3.5 Open Beta - Released !!!

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Default !!! 3.5 Open Beta - Released !!!

After long period of waiting, and almost complete roster change of the ACW Team, we bring you this 3.5 Open Beta of American Civil War: Brothers vs. Brothers

You are probably wondering what is new in this beta? We have been very busy, and we tried to implement as much of the stuff possible and still retain good quality performance.I will not go over every single thing we have done, but some of the most important features, will be presented here. For the rest... well, you will simply need to download the beta and try it out.

Features

• completely reworked battle mechanics following the steps of realism modders (JaM and DaVinci)
    • reworked the building system (both in construction and effects)
    • increased campaign movement points of all units to represent rail-roads of Civil War era
    • great number of units added including volunteers for each individual State (both CS and US)
    • introduction of famous units and organizations such as Shelby's and Quantrill's Raiders, Virginia Laurel Brigade, Confederate and Union Marine Corps, several Union German Regiments, Confederate Natives Cavalry, Union Natives Sharpshooters, 55th "Garde de Lafayette" Regiment and many, many more
    • reskinned great number of vanilla units and made new textures for existing units such as Richmond Artillery, Hood's Texas Brigade etc
    • added new officers for both Confederacy and Union
    • added historical generals own textures and assigned them corresponding models (now you can really see R.E. Lee or W. S. Hancock leading your armies)
    • made historically accurate descriptions of every state volunteers and unit currently available in the game
    • for the first time included steamship (only one ship available at the moment
    • reintroduced socket bayonet
    • reworked earthworks and gabionade to more ACW era
    • added Civil War era event pictures
    • edited the chronicles and the date display
    • added new, ACW era quotes
    • and many, many, more things

Visual Presentation

New Unit Textures

Steamship

New General's Icon

The realism or realistic combat is something what many players would like ot see in games they play. They often complain about unrealistic or not completely realistic representation of combat. We at the ACW Team are of the same opinion, and have been trying for quite some time to find a realistic (or next best thing to realistic) system that would represent American Civil War Battles in a way that will prove more challenging for the player, but not repulsive at the same time. With great help of experienced Realism Modders such as DaVinci and especially JaM we have created a system that tries to bring that realism to you. However, before I go any further, I would like you to know, that this is only a representation that has taken in consideration the real world and has scaled it down or up to fit into the criteria of the game. So let me now explain what these battle mechanics bring to the game.

First thing any player will have to pay attention to is what type of weaponry a unit is using. This can be seen by right clicking on the units icon. You can see it here:

This is extremely important as in Open Beta 3.5 weapons that info card refers to is really used by a unit that has it. the infantry weapons are currently (with likely and possible expansion) the following:

As you can see we have 4 major classes: rifled and smooth-bore muskets, repeating rifles and cavalry weapons. The rifled muskets are your basic weapons. They are much a like but certain important differences do exist. Springfield and Enfield Rifle are almost equal, with minor differences in damage, reload speed and accuracy and they present Class I infantry weapons. The Mississippi Rifle and Lorenz Rifle are slightly inferior to the above ones but are still potent weapons (Class II). The smooth-bores are a special class. Their long range fire is worth very little, you are more likely going to spend half your ammunition for achieving almost no effect on the enemy. However, if you close in with the enemy, or manage to attack him from the flank, smooth-bores will prove as an extremely deadly weapon because of their faster reloading time and bigger calibre bullet. The repeating rifles aren't actual repeaters (due to engine limitations) but this rifles do have fastest reloading times and do offer good accuracy in the distant fights. They are mainly used by cavalry units, but beware of their lower ammo and fast firing rate. The various cavalry weapons is a class of its own, it falls somewhere between rifled and smooth-bores to represent various armament that cavalry units of that time did use. Very potent on short ranges, these weapons aren't as reliable as some other types, but will get their job done.

With that explained, I move to combat itself. It is important to point out, that now, shooting on a maximum range will do you little or no good. However, closing for even 30-40 (not to 30 or 40 yards) yards will increase effectiveness of your volleys. But the enemy will have that also, so be careful. Precisely timed volleys can break enemy unit in few secoonds, while sporadic and drawn out fire will only spend your ammo. This is all I want to share with you at the moment, if you want to learn more about it, then play the game!

Important
    Current build of 3.5 Open Beta supports Warpath map based ACW campaign only.
    However, users who don't own Warpath can still play the custom battles with all the new units!

Installation

Requirements
    ACW Broters vs. Brothers 3.4.1 version

husserlTW's Subs Power

Process
    1) install husserlTW's Subs Power launcher (download link)

2) download the ZoR - Open Beta 3.5 (link in the ACW Download Links Thread)

3) unzip the ZoR - Open Beta 3.5

4) run setup.exe and follow installer's instructions

Performance

For a better performance, especially if you were experiencing issues with smoke, please visitSmoke Mods thread in the Submod Subforum.

Disclaimer
    This is still a beta so it means it isn't complete. The game should run smoothly and without any crashes or similar mishaps, but if they do happen, be sure you have followed all of the procedures listed in the Technical Help Thread. When crashes happen always post your log (instruction on how to find it are in Technical Help Thread). We will appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative for as long as it remains civil and polite. We know there is no technology tree yet, we are working on it, so please don't ask us where it is.

Team
    husserlTW
    Trig
    Chieftain John K.
    [NC]Master
    Minas Moth

Credits
    JaM for support and letting us to use his ETW Realism
    DaVinci for setting us in the right direction
    Flikitos for help with buildings
    husserlTW for solving problems
    Baron Von Beer for his submod
    Tharros for paving the way

Special Thanks
    shokh, hinkel, primergy

and all of you out there who support us

The ACW Team
    Last edited by Minas Moth; March 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Default Re: !!! 3.5 Open Beta - Released !!!

Thread re-opened for feedback purposes

Question, does this mod have, or support, a 40 unit version?
    This seems to be quite a racist comment. The Guals did a lot more than "wonder around pillaging";
    It's not as if they were a bunch of dirty, stinking, fatherless Huns.

Isn't subs power the launcher it already has, the one to choose Warpath, Vanilla ready etc?

edit: no matter, installed it.

doh nevermind, mod is working well.

The Union is my ally, my side being the CSA. The Union kept asking for states in return for money. I removed that offer and make an offer of alliance. Might break next turn.

Restarted game just in case I wasn't using ZOR. Union offers Upper Texas for alliance. I will give me time, although I hope to get alliance with money not land. Better still, I'll go to war when it's historical. I still have to win.

Maybe there could be a revenue bonus for the upper class. The Confederate conscription law allowed someone to offer a substitute for a sum of dollars I forget. That caused some resentment in the south, I think.
    Last edited by Glycerius; March 14, 2013 at 01:23 PM.

Laetus

Works like charm! Good work, thank you!!

@Glycerius
    don't accept any diplomatic offers from the Union, never, never, never... better for the game not to accept them.

@peych13
    you are welcome...

3.5 LINKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!

Both Links are working fine mod db is downloadable and game front too. Thanks Minas for providing good and fast downloads. Maybe you just didn't kicked the right link

Here you go again:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/23067159
    or
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/american-c...s/35-open-beat

Edit :
    Only write here about the Sub Mod itself not the download links.

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    @Glycerius
    don't accept any diplomatic offers from the Union, never, never, never... better for the game not to accept them.

@peych13
    you are welcome...
    I'm aware of that now. It keeps trying to buy several states for 50,000. I still have to win, so once I have an Army of Virginia ready, off to war.

Are the schools worth keeping? The bonus they give seems modest. I hope the Union builds stream ships. I hope for a ironclad clash, Merrimack vs Monitor, although the boats for now seem simpler things, blockade runners or similar.

you mean regional command and gunnery schools? sure they are. regional command will give you more recruitment slots in a city, schools increase ability to resist siege (which will be very important when we incoporate the forts again; only wooden ones) and they offer some of the units etc. will be esential for technology research and so on and so on...

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

On Moddb i have "The file you have selected (ZoR_Setup.7z) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes. To access more download mirrors we encourage you to join the community, otherwise please be patient and keep trying." (and i keep trying)
    And on Gamefront this : 403 - Forbidden

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

there are now two more download sites, provided by the Ensis, you can find them in the ACW Download Thread.

regards

When playing as the Union, I noticed in naval recruitment, the first ship I can recruit ( i havent upgraded any buildings yet ) doesnt have a name or title. No biggie, I was just curious if this is just a beta thing.

When I install 3.4, do I need to also install the patch 3.4.1 before 3.5 ???

@Pwallace717
    this is intentional as we wanted to avoid vanilla ship naming. the player can and actually should name each steamship individualy. for example I recruited a steamship and named it USS Chickahominy or whatever.

@Gotreksek
    I would advice installing the patch 3.4.1...

what is the easiest/best way to confirm I am running 3.5? sorry if this is a stupid question. everything seems to be running fine, just not able to reqruit any ships, or does that come later in an event?
    18th Century Book about a young Sailor in the Royal Navy, who embarks a great adventure!http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Zacaria-R-Telford/dp/1424142679/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322699110&sr=8-1on

the easiest was to know is that the splash screen (the one with the general in the mist) at the start of the game would have a writing powered by ZoR under his feet. although by the fact that you can't recruit ships, I can tell that you have installed something incorectly, or you haven't ticked the ZoR in the submods selection.

regards

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

Having trouble with 3.5. How do I enable ZOR? I followed all instructions correctly, but I still don't know how to enable it.

(NEVER MIND)

I have a new question. This one is about the light unit editor. How would I edit a ZOR unit, I cannot find the bg_db file for that.
    Last edited by JOPAKE; March 15, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOPAKE View Post
    Having trouble with 3.5. How do I enable ZOR? I followed all instructions correctly, but I still don't know how to enable it.

(NEVER MIND)

I have a new question. This one is about the light unit editor. How would I edit a ZOR unit, I cannot find the bg_db file for that.
    no editing of my units! not now, not ever... who ever edits my units is going to be bayoneted... if he survives, bayonet him again, I will

seriously man, can you just play the thing for a while before editing something? always some questions with you, either you can't make it work or you want to change something. we should have a Team member to deal with you specifically.

well, to edit any unit you need to get to the bg_MM-ZoR.pack (preferably the one in the submods/ZoR folder) don't forget to make a backup before you do anything...

man, you better rep me till the day I die...

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

Thanks man

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast