Page 71 of 98 FirstFirst ... 214661626364656667686970717273747576777879808196 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1942

Thread: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

Default Re: Vikings - New History Series

No, I meant that they have children from their wives, what happened to their wives is not really important.
    I mean the only King with a wife besides Ragnar was Horik, and she was shown probably because she was a shieldmaiden like Lagertha.
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; May 12, 2015 at 02:44 PM.

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by MemnonOfRhodes View Post
    No, I meant that they have children from their wives, what happened to their wives is not really important.
    I mean the only King with a wife besides Ragnar was Horik, and she was shown probably because she was a shieldmaiden like Lagertha.
    I guess for the show storyline it would be hard for them to have wives. But I'll just assume they all died.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    But I'll just assume they all died.
    Dark ages..

If they continue the series after next season, who'll come with me to the castings of 5th season?

Quote Originally Posted by miggo View Post
    If they continue the series after next season, who'll come with me to the castings of 5th season?
    If they will add varangians sure

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

They already have four different locations with their own ongoing storylines. As much as I'd like to see Rus and varangians I can't imagine it would fit I to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I can't imagine it would fit I to the story.
    They are adding a Chinese character to the North European Dark ages, I think they really don't care if it fits.

Citizen

Well I cant see her fit either.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Should have been an Arab muslim dude/lady, but Chinese are in vogue and Muslims are most certainly not so mmmrhmm

Citizen

That would have been much more logical.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I just hope they go all troupe of exotic expertson us and add the one armed sword man/dwarf/cheeky-funny tough guy and freakishly tall woman. Oh wait....

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I just hope they go all troupe of exotic expertson us and add the one armed sword man/dwarf/cheeky-funny tough guy and freakishly tall woman. Oh wait....
    Ah memories

Is it odd that I find myself sopporting the Saxons for the most part whenever the Vikings come about raiding? I mean I like Ragnar and Rollo quite a bit, but in a sense, some fans of this series remind me of Breaking Bad and Walter white... Protagonist=/=Hero/good guy.

Still though, having put some time in the series, a chinese character really seems like pandering and a wasted opportunity for a Muslim character. He/she could bring back some of that Aethelstan magic of mistic foreign land to the series without feeling fantastical.

Also Floki is a and I hate him. Team Ragnarstan forever.
    Last edited by saxdude; May 21, 2015 at 09:06 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Is it odd that I find myself sopporting the Saxons for the most part whenever the Vikings come about raiding? I mean I like Ragnar and Rollo quite a bit, but in a sense, some fans of this series remind me of Breaking Bad and Walter white... Protagonist=/=Hero/good guy.

Still though, having put some time in the series, a chinese character really seems like pandering and a wasted opportunity for a Muslim character. He/she could bring back some of that Aethelstan magic of mistic foreign land to the series without feeling fantastical.

Also Floki is a and I hate him. Team Ragnarstan forever.
    It's kind of like in Pirates of the Caribbean or Black Sails where the audience is rooting for the bad guys (Pirates).
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

To be fair to Captain Sparrow, he was pretty much fighting the East India company. Even LOTR orcs are better people than those guys.

Also I love how gay Ragnar was for Aethelstan, really pushes the characterization of Ragnar as a curious knowledge seeking man, I agree that he is Indeed, very much like Ecbert, whom I find highly enjoyable.

So I finished season 1, I find the show good and mostly entertaining but it's reputation made a slightly disappointing endeavor.

So many, way to many minor characters get introduced only to die really soon or later on in the season by the time nobody cares for them. Whenever I see a character show potential he or she just dies for some stupid reason and the show goes on, the problem with that is that they are wasting time. A good example would Torstig that old warrior that joins Ragnar after he becomes Jarl, I was convinced Torstig was gonna make some epic last stand to save Ragnar or die in a bigger meaningful battle with some special conditions. But no he gets introduced as "RAWWWRR I CAN'T DIE" then he doesn't die in the fist battle and the show reminds us "RAWWRR I CAN'T DIE!!" and then in the next battle some guy just cuts him from behind and he dies. That's it, what was the goddamn point of all that?

The monk character, I hoped and hoped he wouldn't be just the projection of audience so we get explained through his ignorance the customs of the Norsemen, but no whenever he has an opportunity to show some character it gets over it quickly and why? Well because the show wastes time on pointless characters. Example:
    When Ragnar's unborn child dies and his mourning, he asks the monk how do they handle death, the monk just quotes the bible and that's it, ing hell I really expected that scene would start forming some deep friendship between them.

Also cliffhanger ending of a season, that just that, anybody who does that needs to be burned at stake, it's one of the few good things GoT had in first 4 seasons (it saved the major cliffhangers and twists for the 9th episode instead the 10th).

Some historical stuff that kind of pisses me off.
    Retarded saxon armor - now whether or not historically accurate it's completely useless in the show, all weapons pass through it like its not there.
    Norsemen not knowing about Britain or FRANCIA! - Sorry can't buy that, they were in Scandinavia not on Mars. Especially the Frankish Kingdom who at the time of the show is still under Charlemagne if I'm not mistaken? (He ruled until 813 and died 814)
    No Norseman wears any armor or helmets - What? After all the raids not even the richest Vikings have some basic protection?
    The night battle - Another cliche I noticed, a night battle is somehow that writers who know jack about warfare always use to make a character cunning, it's one of the most overused "medieval/fantasy/battle stuff" troopes. Even if Ragnar did attack at that particular night, why doesn't the show explain why didn't Saxons prepare for it.
    The Earl - Nothing he did made sense or was even consistent with the show. In the first episode he needs consent from everybody to execute the man, later on he does whatever he feels like and nobody flinches or protests. He calls Ragnar a criminal although he (the earl) lost at the trial.

Things I really liked:
    Rollo's eventual betrayal actually gives a lot of suspense and tension through out the show.
    Most fights are well choreographed and kills are simple and straight to the point.
    Some of the actors really "strike a chord", the ones playing Ragnar and Rollo ooze charisma.
    Aesthetics, set pieces, cinematography and the overall "atmosphere". All that considering the budget.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Retarded saxon armor - now whether or not historically accurate it's completely useless in the show, all weapons pass through it like its not there.
    To be fair this happens in practically every show and every movie. Look at Lord of the Rings and the soldiers of Gondor: full plate metal doesn't block anything. In fact I think the only show I have ever seen have armor actually block an attack was in Game of Thrones, during the duel between Jorah and Mago.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The Norsemen did know about Britain and Frankia. The problem here though is which ones. During the reign of Charlemagne the Danes under King Gudfred (father of King Horik) raided the Slavs in Eastern Germany, raided Frisia and Western Germany and went so far as to supporting a Saxon proxy war against the Franks. Then in 810 they directly invaded Germania, fought Charlemagne got more or less beat and were chased back to the Jutland peninsula. If Einhard is to be believed then Gudfred wanted to conquer Germania. At the very least impose some sort of rule over the Slavs east of the Elbe as he had supported certain Slavic tribes against those which were allied to Charlemagne.

If you will recall at the start of the show Ragnar said that a wanderer had told him about England and that other people had gone there before. It is mentioned several times that characters have heard of the western lands.
    Now whether Ragnar lives in Sweden, Norway or Denmark is not something I know. The reason could be that until then mostly Danes had contact with the people to the south. The argument of traders and other sailors might be completely unrelated but it is not something I am familiar with.

The Frankish Emperor at this time was Charles the Bald, son of Louis the Pious (who was himself son and successor of Charlemagne). Actually if you recall in the show they make mention of the emperor's brothers. Charles the Bald ruled Western Frankia. Louis the Pious had four sons and hence Charles the Bald is only a claimant to the Imperial Throne as Louis the German rules over East Frankia (Germania) and Lothair rules over Italy.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 04, 2015 at 05:13 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Did I read that right? A Chinese character? WTF! Has no one seen Thirteenth warrior? How would there even be a Chinese person? Is it a Tang dynasty merchant? Why would a Tang dynasty merchant go any further west than say... Constantinople?
    Agreed with the Muslim I mean Thirteenth Warrior bruh.

Just wanted to add that I love what Rollo is doing with the whole defection thing. Classic Rollo, I love it .

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō