View Poll Results: Vote for your champion!

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Submission 1

7 77.78%
  • Submission 2

2 22.22%

Thread: [DUEL] Dude with the Food vs. HeirofAlexander - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default [DUEL] Dude with the Food vs. HeirofAlexander - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Image courtesy of Radboud

A new site, and a new duel, a new champion - but who will it be?

Vote for your winner in the duel of "Disturbance" between:

Dude with the Food and HeirofAlexander

Submission 1
    Disturbance
    I have long flown for my master. Many a century has been spent soaring, watching the humans. I arrived here several weeks ago. I had been forewarned that here, at this very river, dreaded deeds were to take place. The coming years shall be decided here, whether for the better, or worse.

The water is slow, thick with the coming blood. Sanded banks burn with the sunlight, a serene picture mirrored in darkness by the white of the moon. I see a single leaf tumble in a simple roll through the air down to towards the fresh stillness of the river. The tranquillity, like the calm before the storm, is as peaceful as my many journeys throughout the lands of men and like the oncoming tide, I have seen many a hero rise and fall as if nothing but dust on the wind which itself is floating gently, whispering all its secrets to any who would listen. Only the wisest left do though, the trees, the grass and the river. The late spring hue has settled upon the many creaks and crevices that make up my immediate surroundings, flushing out any remnant of the dark and the damp and the dreary.

They march underneath me, rows upon rows of uniformed soldiers, all ready to serve their duty. Not as eager as they were years ago, when the young Basileus first stood afoot the shores of the exotic lands he now owns. His calm and confidence led them to many a victory throughout Asia but they are weary of war. Each tread of foot is a mere hum for them, many dreaming of the lives they had before the glory.
    Before the war.
    Before the death.
    Many have lost brothers, fathers and sons in this epic quest they embarked upon though now their hearts yearn for peace. All who live through times as such, do so though the wise know there will never be that time, such is the way of live.

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. The sandaled feet trudged onwards, over the secret ford they had been coveting. The time for the fall of the sword had finally befallen them accompanied by death for many. The leopard-skin cloak of the mighty Lord of Asia rose and fell like the passing of time on the mountains. Thousands of spear tips glinted pointedly, but not so wickedly any more. They were as tired as their bearers, and exhausted from jealousy of those that had been left behind.
    He would die. The man with the blue cloak and slight limp due to injury at Arbela before a Bactrian horseman.
    And so would he beside him, a young recruit; eagerness to fight and die still held him to honour.
    It is a gift I possess, being a bird of death. A token of my devotion to Apollo, god of the prophecy. So many will die in yet another step in the endless journey to everlasting remembrance.

So peaceful before, the river is in turmoil. Hundreds of sweat-laden feet each rising and falling through her previously uninterrupted slumber. Each warrior making his way through the blissful sleep that was true serenity. Though that is what war is.
    A disturbance of harmony.
    A thunder cry through the melody of a songbird.
    They sing naturally, crystal notes formed by pure joy of life. A joy which has been seen by neither I, nor any other for many years.

I spread my wings, they have been faithful to for centuries now. Black as jet, I am but a shadow to many. When I want to hide, I am unseen though nothing remains hidden from me. Every detail is noticed, every whisper and whisker. Eyes of the hawk, silence of the owl, I am but a servant of my lord.

Rising upwards on the returned warmth of the water, I watch the vast array of soldiers formed below me. They are on an open plain, just beyond the thin strip of lush vegetation that is the riverbank. The bravery on these men’s’ faces is set in stone, unforgiving and unrelenting. Their opposition trudges heavily toward them, rich fabrics of purple and red flash brilliantly in contrast with the dull natural selection of browns and greens of Gaia. No bead of sweat goes unnoticed, no casted glance, no slightest nerve. They are only human. I have found that often, fear drives a man further than courage though in many cases, they are intertwined.

I swoop own low back towards the river, she will want to know of this recent turn of events. The Greek Emperor and the Indian King shall commence battle upon her banks and blood shall soon empty from the land into her waters. I have seen enough of war and will return to the area soon but for now, I shall exchange tidings with this environment. Equipped for serenity, this land need be equipped for war by the dawn of the morrow.
    Blood will be spilt.
    Death will take many.
    Here, shall the red sun rise.
    It has paled before the impending carnage that is yet to unfold though it burns true; my master is watching closely. I lap the fresh water carefully, its rejuvenating powers coarse through veins. I see a single leaf tumble in a simple roll through the air down to towards the fresh stillness of the river.
    It is a sign. The battle has begun.

I emerge from amidst the sturdiness of the tree trunks to witness the first casualty. A headstrong Indian horseman broke off from his band to be met with an arrow between his eyes. Several more plumed missiles track their victims and effortlessly fell both horse and rider in the first of an onslaught. The cavalrymen retaliate, thundering across the open plain toward their foe.

The entire line is in uproar, men on both sides surging forwards, cavalry racing toward each other, with deafening cries of hatred and wrath. Truly a sight to behold, the finest men Greece has to offer charging headlong into the ranks of their foe. Elephants are being brought up by the Indian king to wreak havoc upon the solid Macedonian line.

Swift and brutal. Fierce anger befalls any exposed to the effects of war. So many will die – cheap and unnecessary deaths shall be many by the end of today. They shall be forgotten, disgraced and dishonoured and disgraced and beyond all - dead. How ironic that the way of life is death. That will never change. Hades will be busy ‘til the end of this world and the next.

There falls the man in the blue cloak, as I said he would. Shield shattered and spear splintered. The boy, shot in the leg and hacked open in such disfigurement I have only observed in war. Yet behind me, I see a single leaf tumble in a simple roll through the air down to towards the fresh stillness of the river. I slight disturbance on top of all that has and is yet to happen.

Submission 2
    Disturbed

The Senate was abuzz with squabbling, chattering discussion. Amidst the shouts and bellows of opinions, Senator Marcus Martellus sat silent. His thirty years of sitting on the Senate had made him accustomed to the disagreements of the aging politicians of Rome, feigning power and strength as a show for the commons. Martellus knew their actual influence was scarce at best.

It was a disturbance, Martellus often thought. Playing with the minds of the lower standing, the few simulating superiority over the many. Oh, if they knew. If only they knew. Martellus had gained wealth and influence from his seat in the Senate – that he could not deny.

The consul rose from his seat, the steward at his side violently slamming the butt of his stick into the marble floors, urging the crowd into submissive silence
    “We are stretched,” the Consul began. It was true, very true. More true than half the old men in the room wanted to believe.

In the west, Gaius Marius had left a successor in his beliefs of insurrection and warfare. Quintus Sertorius was a formidable foe for the Roman Republic. A brave and noble soldier and politician, Sertorius was prodigious in both the ways of war and court. With legions of Roman legionaries and hordes of Lusitanian natives at his back, he marked a great threat. Pompey had been sent with eight legions to deal with the man. So far it had not proved enough.

In the east, two great kings battled the Roman influence there. Mithridates had assaulted the holdings of the Republic in Greece, with great success. He was a dangerous foe, near as skilled as Quintus Sertorius. Yet further east the Armenia king Tigranes held greater power. Lurking in the shadows, waiting and measuring Rome, Martellus shuddered at the thought. Lucullus had been sent to deal with those two. A skilled commander, he had some triumph in his battles, though also there the Republic was bled.

And then there was the insurrection in Italy. The rebel Spartacus had risen with gladiators and slaves, creating an army of them. Rome had sent men against him as well, they had failed miserably. All these wars were draining coins from the coffers and putting men in coffins. Both equally dangerous prospects when the resources ended.

There was disturbance in the Republic, her wealth near used up. Extreme measures had to be met now.

“I call Marcus Licinius Crassus,” the Consul announced. A man rose and came forward, his bearing noble and honourable. Before the Consul he bowed, and went to one knee. His submission was not wholesome, however, his eyes never wavered an inch from the Consul’s own. Crassus was the wealthiest in Rome; none had ever possessed such great sums of coin. “The Senate commands you to take whatever measure you desire to take down the rebel Spartacus and his slaves. You are granted the title praetor and Imperator, in turn for your economic assistance.” The command was only symbolic; the Senate had begged the man to help.

“As you command.” Maybe now, the disturbance would end. If not…
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Default Re: [DUEL] Dude with the Food vs. HeirofAlexander - VOTE NOW

Not voted .

Good luck Dude .

|Under the proud patronage of Robin de Bodemloze and the Bodemloze family|

Anduril248's Avatar Miles

I voted!
    Of Blades and Bows, CW PROJECT
    "The most incomprehenisble thing about the universe that it is comprehensible"-Albert Einestine

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Not voted .

Good luck Dude .
    Is this blackmail? Are you some fancy psychologist trying to make me believe things that are/aren't true? Because it's not very nice.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Voted

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    Is this blackmail? Are you some fancy psychologist trying to make me believe things that are/aren't true? Because it's not very nice.
    Well... that may or may not be true.. :

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Technical Staff Citizen

Voted. Excellent tales both, good luck.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Come on guys, only 4 days left! If you haven't voted yet be sure too.

Just voted. Gl all.
    WIP. Watch this space. It'll be epic.

No, seriously.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Congratulations to Due with the Food for the win.

Dammit! My perfect streak of one for one is gone!

In all seriousness many congrats for Dude With The Food, you beat me well and good!

Yes. Yes I did.

Seriously though, your story was great too, funny how we both chose popular leaders of the ancient world. Great minds. Now do I have to make a speech or something?
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Congrats Dude.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Speech! Speech! Speech!
    WIP. Watch this space. It'll be epic.

No, seriously.

Yay.

I'd like to thank all my family who helped me through this tough time and all my friends who helped me throught this hard time and everybody else out there for helping me through this difficult time.

But dedication of this win goes to a particular 7 people. (Who you can find by clicking the '7' next to the 77.8%. They are good people. A couple of people might learn to take a leaf out of their books. However well established they are?)