Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit Instincts

Default Unit Instincts

I just thought of this; unit instincts. A feature in which a unit can perform any task without the player's command. This can be in a time of need, when the enemy is charging into your unit's ranks. So before impact, their main instinct would be to form a wall and hold their line. Obviously, since this is done in a rush, this formation wouldn't work as well as it would if you set the command.

So, as you can tell, this feature works perfectly with the 'line of sight' feature. If a soldier in your unit sees an enemy unit charging, their main instinct is to get ready for battle. Instead of walking and ignoring the enemy (which will cause lot's of damage if the player isn't paying attention).

Whatcha think?

Default Re: Unit Instincts

Would be nice for the back of a unit to turn around to a cavalry charge if the front is being occupied by combat.

one word: brilliant description of a concept i crave so much and cried out loud to have as addition to the AI, self sustaining units that think on their feet, best description of single units AI sofar, it could even be a general trait he gains like a second in command, a trustworthy battle hardened centurion, and after a while you can also get it through a training facility later on in the game, battle readiness , ... im sure there is an even better word or rpg element for it. MAKE IT HAPPEN CA!!!!

Implementation could be as simple as adding a unit skill button like the skirmish one to activate or deactivate the units battlereadyness. Deactivated the unit wont do a thing unless told, activated, they will do what they seem best under the circumstances!

This will save up much effort of al this TEDIOUS and dreadful micro management all these star craft 2 fans crave so much ... while i try to enjoy the battles as an armchair general zoomed in on the action trying to enjoy all the animations you so love CA (wasted time from my pov, rather see you invest the time in AI and path finding and more features), they are clicking their asses off with their mouse and keyboards to make use of all these tedious micro management things you would expect battle hardened cohorts to deal with themselves.

i do not want to have to click every single one of my 40 units to get the charge bonus or the defence bonus, they should do it themselves. stop making this game like star craft, this is total war for jupiters sake!

could become a whole new rpg element, imagine seeing your units act all folly and stupid, like regular shogun ai, after the battle your general is uncovered a complete idiot of a commander,a hidden trait, now uncovered. Sack him on the spot or send him to the forum, shame him in the senate and offer him chance to redeem himself as he has shamed rome losing his eale! the story lines are endless and the randomness mouth watering

make it a reality my brothers, shout it off the rooftops, message them CA twitter accounts and the facebooks. march for glory, lets not sit back and wait in vain after release, now is the time to ask for this feature!
    Last edited by Pesticide; March 02, 2013 at 09:57 PM.

I have a hard time understanding what the OP wants and a hard time understanding what Pesticide is even talking about...
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 02, 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: not necessary

like it...units turning to face their attackers.....marvelous
    Quote Originally Posted by George Orwell
    “Shall the common man be pushed back into the mud, or shall he not? I myself believe, perhaps on insufficient grounds, that the common man will win his fight sooner or later, but I want it to be sooner and not later—some time within the next hundred years, say, and not some time within the next ten thousand years. That was the real issue of the Spanish war, and of the last war, and perhaps of other wars yet to come.”

Quote Originally Posted by oppaiO_O View Post
    like it...units turning to face their attackers.....marvelous
    Pretty much sums it up.

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

^it would be a good feature though...

If they are in combat, no. I just don't think that if you are in the back of a unit that is currently engaged in combat that you would be entirely tuned in to your surroundings. You'd most likely have your eyes ahead waiting your turn to get a piece of the action. Also, even if a soldier did manage to see an enemy unit charging them in the flank, they most likely wouldn't be able to get enough soldiers in the unit to turn around before it was too late. It'd be too loud and hectic for the unit to react in time, let alone even notice.

Furthermore, and most importantly, your opponent got the drop on you, so you should suffer the consequences. If there was some sort of "unit instinct" ability, it would only serve to cushion your mismanagement of your units. Don't get me wrong, I always hated it when my opponent killed a unit of mine simply because I forgot about them. However, I would hate it even more if I managed to get a charge into the flank of my one of my opponents, but his losses were limited simply because of this instinct feature, not because of his attention to his own units. Micro management is the biggest part of all strategy games, especially Total War, and that is what makes them so challenging. Plus I am imaging all sorts of crazy bugs and glitches that would come about with this feature.

I am not sure how much I would enjoy it if I am trying to order a unit to move somewhere and they turn to defend a feint charge by my enemy when even if it had been a real charge I was prepared to accept some casualties for sake of position. It could also set up more of a micro hell than the OP seems to think it would solve because of the chance of 'feint' charges. If a unit reliably reacts a certain way players will quickly exploit that. Feint a charge from 1 direction with cavalry and cause a unit to turn toward the cavalry instead of the main battle line of infantry moving in.

At least with current play you can sometimes bait opponent to commit his cavalry to a charge against a unit you 'forgot' to move... a couple seconds after charge start you can set to loose formation and run away or turn and brace. Either way it is still going to remain about thinking ahead and clicking more quickly until mechanics of units change in other ways such as formation and forward momentum.

No. Micro your units.

Make it toggle, on - that unit will respond to the threat, off - wait by order, solved.
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

It's not that I don't like the idea itself, but i think it would do away with most "tactical mistakes", no more paying for forgetting to turn your unit around, no more paying because you haven't seen the heavy cav rear-charging you, your units would just turn around by themselves, put up a phalanx by themselvs, etc. No, your soldiers don't think, they obey orders, if you give them the right orders they will live and win, if you don't they'll die and it will be your fault. Maybe they will introduce a feature to put some units under AI command with a general instruction like "hold this for a moment please", but what's under your command is under your responibility.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

This could be a useful and much appreciated game mechanic if implemented properly of course. It is just an expansion of the MTW2 Charge Without Orders ability that Knights had except in this case your units would hopefully take an action that the player would have ordered if they weren't moving another unit on the other side of the field of battle. I think a toggle would be great and similar to the Guard command accept you could toggle Await Orders/Use Initiative. Even if only a few command are available such as Pila Volley at approaching enemy or Rear Ranks About face to Repel Cavalry would help with the micro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    This could be a useful and much appreciated game mechanic if implemented properly of course. It is just an expansion of the MTW2 Charge Without Orders ability that Knights had except in this case your units would hopefully take an action that the player would have ordered if they weren't moving another unit on the other side of the field of battle. I think a toggle would be great and similar to the Guard command accept you could toggle Await Orders/Use Initiative. Even if only a few command are available such as Pila Volley at approaching enemy or Rear Ranks About face to Repel Cavalry would help with the micro.
    Seriously, none of the things you said are hard to do. If you cant do it, form a noob box.

I think CA has confirmed that you'll be able to let a AI command some of your troops. Tell him to defend a certain position, scale those walls and move on to another position...etc. Pretty much whats you're asking for I think.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CptAustus View Post
    Seriously, none of the things you said are hard to do. If you cant do it, form a noob box.

Well to be honest nothing in a TW game is hard to do but some of it is less entertaining than others. I prefer to focus on watching my orders being executed than to constantly having to fiddle with basic individual unit behavior. I am the Commander and not a Centurion. Just a matter of preferred focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Funny, the charge without order from medieval is a features that irritate me so much...i want them to charge when i decide and not when they want to...

Because if you are on a specific strategy those fools can make some unexpected charge and at the end mess up your plan.

In other words...

Quote Originally Posted by CptAustus View Post
    No. Micro your units.
    ...this.

why dont people read the actual thread and see we have an option to enable or disable, all you nay sayers contribute NOTHING to this thread and could be considered to be trolls.

The main part people are forgetting is not micro-management, but actual instincts to carry out a task. It's called realism. You can't expect your soldiers to keep walking when hundreds of enemy soldiers are charging into your ranks.

However, as everyone is mentioning, there could be an on-and-off switch. Like the switch that allows a unit to run or walk. It can be the same with this. You can enable your men to stay on task (not forming a formation without your permission) or you can allow them to freely engage the enemy as long as they are seen as a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesticide View Post
    why dont people read the actual thread and see we have an option to enable or disable, all you nay sayers contribute NOTHING to this thread and could be considered to be trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by theDaedricPrince View Post
    The main part people are forgetting is not micro-management, but actual instincts to carry out a task. It's called realism. You can't expect your soldiers to keep walking when hundreds of enemy soldiers are charging into your ranks.

However, as everyone is mentioning, there could be an on-and-off switch. Like the switch that allows a unit to run or walk. It can be the same with this. You can enable your men to stay on task (not forming a formation without your permission) or you can allow them to freely engage the enemy as long as they are seen as a threat.

Nope it's called skills. It's up to you to command your army and make it live not the cpu.

Anyway i guess you both are mainly SP but this feature would not fit and be good for the MP gameplay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast