Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unit Instincts

Default Re: Unit Instincts

Quote Originally Posted by |Thracian| View Post
    Nope it's called skills. It's up to you to command your army and make it live not the cpu.

Anyway i guess you both are mainly SP but this feature would not fit and be good for the MP gameplay.
    I don't understand how it wouldn't fit, but sure!

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Pesticide View Post
    why dont people read the actual thread and see we have an option to enable or disable, all you nay sayers contribute NOTHING to this thread and could be considered to be trolls.
    Excuse us. We DON'T have to all agree with you, do we? Can't we have a discussion, which may have opinions other than your own?

Personally, I agree... to a degree. I think units should have enough sense of self-preservation that when under archer fire, they will lift their shields to protect themselves. If unengaged, and charged in the flank or rear, they should try to change facing. I would hope my little soldiers are smart enough not to just stand there and die.

But there should NOT be an additional toggle button. There already is one. It's called Guard mode. If you want them to stay in formation, Guard mode on. You want them to chase routing enemy, guard mode off. I don't think there should be half a dozen toggle buttons for units.

And that micro you seem to detest is Total War. Not Starcraft 2. CA has always said that they want to player to command the tactics, not AI. If units are attacking from range, and retreating when the enemy keeps trying to close, it's because the player is doing it, not AI. If there's a critical rear charge that rolls up the enemy battle line, the player did it, not AI.

If you want the game to play itself, there's always auto-resolve.
    TRIPTYCK
    'Carthago delenda est.'

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by theDaedricPrince View Post
    I don't understand how it wouldn't fit, but sure!
    I think what Thracian is hinting at is that often what can win an MP battle is overloading your opponent, so that they can't micro their army fast enough, or they forget about some units for a while. Sounds like abuse, but it's often what will show the difference between a player general who can handle his army size, and one that can't. For instance, making a lot of threatening cav movements, so they're fixated on them, and them using other parts of your army while they're distracted and not paying attention. In MP, you see by how their units respond how the player is handling your attacks and threats to their flanks, whereas in SP, the AI is able to handle 40 units without pausing.
    TRIPTYCK
    'Carthago delenda est.'

Realistically speaking, if a unit is unengaged there's a good chance they'd notice a cavalry charge coming from behind. But in-game, if every time I tried to charge an enemy from behind they turned to face me, I'd like that to be because the enemy is a skilled player, not because the game forgives him for not noticing.

If there was a delay, so that after the cavalry hit and engaged the enemy they'd turn to face them, it would still be realistic without being overly forgiving to the lazy player.

Quote Originally Posted by triptyck View Post
    I think what Thracian is hinting at is that often what can win an MP battle is overloading your opponent, so that they can't micro their army fast enough, or they forget about some units for a while. Sounds like abuse, but it's often what will show the difference between a player general who can handle his army size, and one that can't. For instance, making a lot of threatening cav movements, so they're fixated on them, and them using other parts of your army while they're distracted and not paying attention. In MP, you see by how their units respond how the player is handling your attacks and threats to their flanks, whereas in SP, the AI is able to handle 40 units without pausing.
    A game is about skill, that's what makes each player unique. You're asking for the AI to control your armies, thats just silly. The AI doesnt make nearly enough maneuvers to overwhelm a human player, and even if it did, noob box, red line camping whatever, whatever, use the cheesy tactics the AI cant deal with and a player will fully exploit. Or turn down the difficulty, that's why there is an easy difficulty. Most people are asking for an actually challenging AI, and this thread is dedicated to an easy button.

I'd like for this to be SP only, and only available as a TOGGLE game option. It should only be implemented for veteran/elite units too since new recruits are too clueless and unalert to focus on the ever-changing battlefield.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12