Thread: Deleted by user.

Kino's Avatar Citizen

Default Deleted by user.

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by Kino; January 16, 2007 at 09:30 PM.

Default Re: Human Echolocation and Gut Feelings

Human echolocation is real although it is passive rather than active echoes. I'm not blind fortunately, but I can sense roughly where someone is in a room behind me based on the change of the ambient "sound signature" of the room. It's sort of like a sound shadow or reflection depending on the circumstance. It's best at sensing movement, but stationary objects also change the ambient signature. Most of this relies on familiarity with the sounds of the room/setting I suppose. We learn to recognize subtle differences in sounds of familiar surroundings even if we don't realize it.

I don't know how much of it is felt versus heard. I suspect that has more to do with frequency (very low frequencies will be felt in the chest I suppose.) I'll give you an example of something that can really mess with you: putting one ear about 1" flush from something that is acousticly dead (like a padded fabric cubicle wall) in a room that has a lot of reflections and noise (tile floors and concrete walls.) It literally makes me anxious and nauseous--sort of like queasiness in rough seas. One ear is thrown completely out of kilter with the other that is still sensing a cacophony.
    You can hide your light behind the hill,
    Offer up your freedom and your will,
    You can build your house on the shifting sand,
    As for me I'll fight where I stand.

Lyrics from "Fight Where I Stand", Needfire (Celtic Rock Band)