Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Germania: the Nation that Defeated Rome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Default Germania: the Nation that Defeated Rome

Since there is so much speculation about the battle of Teutoburg. I recommend you to watch this for some history lesson about Arminius. Arminius was born in Germania, taken as hostage by Rome, become knight of Rome, turned against Rome and defeated Rome (3 Legions).
    Last edited by Birk; February 28, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Birk Von Norway

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: Germania: the Nation that Defeated Rome

Germania's a Nation?
    In 9?

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    Germania's a Nation?
    In 9?
    It was known as Germania by the Romans. Blame Julius Caesar for calling all the tribes for Germania.
    Birk Von Norway

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Germania's a Nation?
    In 9?
    Same reaction for me, it is always amusing how people are quick to confuse the Geographical area name with Nations, it is embarrassing. Germania refers to to a geographical region in 9 AD, making a direct national claim based on current day Germany doesn't make sense unless you are Goebels in 1939 and running very low on imagination.

As for the defeat itself the point for Rome to retreat was that there wasn't much of anything of value beyond the Rhine anyway, otherwise they could put 100k men in a punitive expedition to recover the lost Eagles in double quicktime, also I don't see how occupying the geographical region known as Germania up to the Elbe would change the Dynamics of the later barbarian invasions.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

The Rhine does make a convenient border, especially in light of the fact that there are few other natural borders east of it, and in any case, Dacia was given up too, so Germania isn't a singular case. Seems the development potential of Germania libera wasn't worth the risk and expense of having to maintain an "open border" from a Roman PoV.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    [...] Goebels in 1939 [...]
    It's Goebbels. [/Grammar Nazi mode]

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    The Rhine does make a convenient border, especially in light of the fact that there are few other natural borders east of it, and in any case, Dacia was given up too, so Germania isn't a singular case. Seems the development potential of Germania libera wasn't worth the risk and expense of having to maintain an "open border" from a Roman PoV.
    Well the Elbe would be another good border which is one reason why they wanted the river as the border before Teutoburg, maybe further under Germanicus. In that case you had a shorter conection to the Danube Limes and for a Expansion in to Dacia you had the Carpates from Bohemia till Dacia as natural Border.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Germania was no nation until the First Reich (which included other people too as a multi"national" monarchic state), and then only again during the Second Reich over Weimarian Republic to the Third Reich. A number of people, properly described as tribes with national character, weakened and stormed the Western Roman Empire over the span of several hundreds of years.

Edit:

I almost forgot. Big thanks for the video Birk.
    Last edited by Ritterlichvon86; February 28, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

Funny. They took the footage directly from this German docu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHzMVQx4GMs which was more told a movie. Funny that English people use German Material. The most time is the opposite.

In the original German docu, their is nowhere mentioned anything about a nation. Maybe they made a translation error.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Funny. They took the footage directly from this German docu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHzMVQx4GMs which was more told a movie. Funny that English people use German Material. The most time is the opposite.

In the original German docu, their is nowhere mentioned anything about a nation. Maybe they made a translation error.
    It's just the title. People wouldn't watch if it said "Cherusci the tribe that defeated Rome..."
    Birk Von Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Birk View Post
    It's just the title. People wouldn't watch if it said "Cherusci the tribe that defeated Rome..."
    Better would be to say the Germanic Tribes, which actually describes it well. I also find it allways bad that they allways only mention Teutoburg. Many forget that he fought the Romans several Years since that point. At the pontes Longi he defeated them allmost that terrible than Teutoburg again and at the Angrivarierwall, he and Germanicus had a Draw which resulted in so heavy looses that Germanicus directly retreated to the Rhine and never came back.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

lol Germania as a Nation^^

i quite sure late roman empire had worse losses against Sassanids.

Many different tribes and nations defeated the romans several times. nothing special about the "Germans"

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Meraun View Post

Many different tribes and nations defeated the romans several times. nothing special about the "Germans"
    Did they run around half naked, selling blond hair and killing the romans with there bare fists and with clubs? I don't think so!
    Birk Von Norway

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Birk View Post
    Did they run around half naked, selling blond hair and killing the romans with there bare fists and with clubs? I don't think so!
    Well half of the continent did that.

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

Germania's a Nation?
    In 9?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterlichvon86 View Post
    Germania was no nation until the First Reich (which included other people too as a multi"national" monarchic state), and then only again during the Second Reich over Weimarian Republic to the Third Reich. A number of people, properly described as tribes with national character, weakened and stormed the Western Roman Empire over the span of several hundreds of years.

You are confusing the term "nation" with "nation state". A nation is defined as a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history. In this definition, a nation has no physical borders.

Indeed, but only the Germanics defeated Rome.
    Last edited by Der Phönix; February 28, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
    Assess - Adapt - Attack

Quote Originally Posted by Der Phönix View Post
    Indeed, but only the Germanics defeated Rome.
    Except all those other peoples who defeated Rome.

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalNobody View Post
    So the Roman Empire was defeated more than once?
    Assess - Adapt - Attack

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalNobody View Post
    I think he thought about the fact that they not defeated rome in the meaning of some battles, they defeated rome and stayed unconquered which the Germanic Tribes have only in common with Parthia. All other peope were finally conquered.

Well, they might have used "Nation" as a collection of different tribes and peoples, not as a single, large geo-political unit of said tribes and peoples (state).

Senator

To Arminius, it is not entirely clear wether he was made a Roman knight (Velleius told so). It is pure speculation that he served in the Roman army. He perhaps led some auxiliary troops, which were much more independent at that early date than later on.

The clades Variana has to be seen together with the later events in 15/16 AD when Germanicus tried to reconquer the Germania or at least punish Arminius and the rebellious tribes. It is astonishing that the Romans did not succeed and abandoned a territory so easily for which they had struggled hard from 12 BC onwards. It was never a "German" success because it is highly improbable that there was a common view of the several tribes as "Germans". So you should write "Nine Germanic tribes: the Peoples who Defeated Rome".
    Last edited by geala; February 28, 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

I didn't realize Arabs, Turks, Huns, were Germans.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast