Thread: Reformation: Total War or Mercantilism: Total War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reformation: Total War or Mercantilism: Total War

I would like to propose & assemble a team of modders for something encompassing the early modern period from 1500 to 1750 ad. This mod should include 2 TPY or 4TPY play & have a victory condition of a certain amount of income per year. I want it to focus more on the pike & musket warfare & the religious upheavals the protestants brought to Europe. The wars & civil wars fought in this time period would make for very interesting play. The reformations of religions, the quest for wealth, slave trade & merchants guilds would make for dynamic play. Europe was truly at total war with itself, & the idea of having more wealth than the other powers, not necessarily just more land, usually translated to more power. A reworking of diplomacy some, with things such as trade embargoes & tariffs are an interesting concept. Perhaps even things such as arranged marriages & different penalties for breaking any of these said agreements would bring new & realistic reasons for war. Including events in the period such as the English Civil War & the wars in the HRE with the Hapsburgs would do much to increase the possible powers or playable factions. Unplayable factions including the Native Americans & some eastern powers would do to add to the flare of the mod, but I would want to focus more on the factions that really participated more in mercantilism & the reformation. So a reduced number of playable factions so as to allow multiple slots for the same faction to be either Catholic or Protestant would be cool. I'm sure there is ways to work in already released minor mods, such as AI tweaks & units such as war wagons, to make the mod more dynamic & enjoyable. Who would be interested in being on a modding team for such a project?

Hermod's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Reformation: Total War or Mercantilism: Total War

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I might exclude the Americas though and focus more on Europe if the mod will be based on the reformation. Implementing multiple factions to portray opposing religions would not be too hard, as for example the factions in an English civil war would have basically the same unit roster, but with different skins.

You might have an easier time gathering interest if you explain how you can personally contribute to the mod in addition to releasing updates on changes you have made. Asking people to join a team with no work yet might be a little much for some people. Overall I like this idea though and think it could be pretty fun to play, especially with the implementation of well thought out scripts. Good luck.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

There are already other mods in development covering that time period (or most of it) so best for you would be to join one of them mods and help them out. Gathering a team seems like an impossible task nowadays as all moders are busy and all you can get is a bunch of researchers, who will help you research stuff that's probably already researched by those other mods of that period.

And if you think your idea is just different than those other mods, you can still want to join them and make a submod within their mod so you can contribute to theirs campaign and they to yours and everyones happy. The idea itself is interesting, and joining an already exitsing team will save you at least a year of mod work.

could someone point me in the direction of a similar mod. I have seen a few proposed or some in development in the past, but nothing continued or released.There are tutorials for most everything with MTW2 being the most modder friendly game yet from the series, I am willing to do all of the work myself, but it is a monumental task & things are always easier with a team.

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

As Vladyvid pointed, Kingdoms and Empires (i'm a member of the team) will feature that timeline, but it will NOT be focused on Europe. There will be American and Eastern factions also, and portrayed correctly, not the old stereotyped thing; contact me if you feel interested. You would be a great addition to the team, since we need someone to focus on the European factions.

And seriously, M2TW is actually the best option for this kind of Mod....atleast for me.
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; March 01, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

actually seeing empires might be better suited for a mod of that nature... I just had prior modding experience with mtw2 & can run on max settings, I'll have to re-learn modding for empires

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

could someone point me in the direction of a similar mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...REVIEW-2-15-13

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

How will this be better than 1648? And what modding skills do you have yourself?