Thread: [Skyrim AAR] Tale of Dag: Memoirs of the Monk of Light

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

Default [Skyrim AAR] Tale of Dag: Memoirs of the Monk of Light

Tale of Dag: Memoirs of the Monk of Light
    Part: Skyrim

Prologue: In the bitter cold, reborn

Cold water prickled on my face, forming large drops that eventually would be so big they ran down the lines of my face. These drops had been my only entertainment this morning. I was drenched to the bone and the cold was unbearable, while the bear pelt the captain had been kind enough to offer me had not been dry for several days. I felt miserable, there was no room for movement and even if you tried you never knew if the waves would knock you overboard and leave you wrestling the dark seductive sea before your strength left you, then it would swallow you whole. As you can imagine I have never liked the sea. Endless stretch of water that heed to no man and can betray you at any moment. There had been no opportunity to write in my journal or drink for that matter. No matter, when the ship reached Solitude I would find a way to quench my thirst. Still as I sit here pondering I understood I had no other choice than to travel by boat.

Three weeks ago I had been stuck in Northpoint. A large city in High Rock, home of the Bretons. I had been evading certain Imperial Army enforcers that felt my service in the Empire's army was not enough to get me out of the trouble I was in. They had followed me all the way from Anvil where this entire mess had started. I had been drinking to much Alto wine one day in The Count's Arms and apparently slandered every pitiful thing that the Empire had done since its creation. The other tavern patriots did not take kindly to my words and the next day I was woken by three whelps in the standard Imperial red leather jerkin that was demanding me to come with them to their superior. Even in a half drunken haze I had given the young ones the beating of their lives. I don't think breaking a nose, two arms and throwing one of them out a window pleased their officers and I had gotten a bounty on my head. I had departed Anvil right after the brawl and was good on my way when the hunt began.

I had travelled with so many different people and races, either on foot, horse or carriage that I lost track halfway to High Rock. There had been weeks without contact with the Army and then there had been times it felt they had been on my heels for days. Luckily I had evaded them and reached Northpoint. It had never been a goal. I had just ended up there. Luckily the city was large and the Inns numerous and it was in one of these Inns that I realized I needed to head for Skyrim. Rumours had come by trade from Solitude about the situation there and it seemed the only viable option for me at the time. Things had only gotten worse the next day when a soldier was beating a nail into the message board on the square. The nail was holding up a large piece of parchment. My heart sank when I read what it said.

Curses! Panic gripped me,there was no way for me to run now. There are designated guards at every gate that have their primary job to look for wanted people. Rumors also had it that guards in civilian clothing wandered the streets with wanted posters hidden on them. I pulled my green hood a little further over my head and trotted away from the square. I ducked and weaved in the alleys of the city. Only one option was open to me now and the salt smell in the air guided my way. I rounded a corner past a alchemy shop and there it was. The port of Northpoint was huge. Large trading ships lay docked and busy dockworkers were bustling around like an army. They pushed barrels probably filled with fish from Skyrim off their boats and in their place soldiers and large racks of weapon was hoisted aboard. I considered hopping aboard in one of those boats, but quickly dropped the idea. It would probably work to hide in plain sight but first I had to get on the boat. So far I had seen two patrols near the ships. I wandered down to the smaller boats near the south side of the port and found a smaller ship that had no cargo laying on its smaller dock. I quickly saw the captain directing his sailors on the deck. It seemed to me they were about to take off. “Hail!” I said from the dock.“Hail.” The captain answered politely after he had understood that the greeting was meant for him. I smiled and asked where he was headed. “Solitude” he said without emotion. Like it was the most apparent thing in the world. There is almost all out war in Skyrim he told me and they were headed on their last run before heading back to Northpoint until things had cooled down, if I was looking for passage he could take me for a small fee. Travellers were few these days and they had room on the boat. The smile that split my face in half should not have belonged to someone heading to a war struck region.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by Nedarus, a friendly sailor and first mate on the little trading ship. He gave me a small black leather pouch. I nodded to him and started to chug the content into my mouth. I had tasted far better and horrifyingly worse home brew but it felt warm and as a former soldier you got used to make due with what you had. The waves rocked us up and down in a increasing pace. I had vomited on my first week on the boat but finally my bowels had stopped aching and I was feeling like a new man. “Is this normal weather!?” I yelled at Nedarus. I realized I shouldn't have. The hardened sailor with weather hardened furrows looked at me with an expression I had seen too many times before. In a war every veteran has his breaking point. That time when his demeanour fails and he shows his fear to the rookie soldiers. We had many veterans that broke when the horrible destruction magic was unleashed. The old familiar rock at the bottom of my throat returned. Forever pressing inside me. Trying to force tears and emotion out. Bah! I took a big mouthful of the horrible liquid that Nedarus had given me and it felt better, not much, not nearly enough. The entire boat cringed to the right, I rolled with my bear pelt and all the other miscellaneous items followed. I was lying in a heap at the front of the boat. I raised my head and looked backwards. In front of me lay the ship, with its mast and raised sail, the cabin where the captain slept and behind that the raging cold blue sea. The forces of the earth was forcing me downwards but I was holding on for dearlife. Suddenly it was like the boat was completely still. I felt the boat's weight shift like it had hundred times before that day but this time the boat fell the wrong way. I held on as the entire boat slowly flipped over. My stomach sank into my legs as the cold wet embrace of the sea came crashing towards me. And then I closed my eyes.
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Skyrim AAR] Tale of Dag: Memoirs of the Monk of Light

Reserved for chapter index

Content Emeritus

Chapter 1: Reborn

The darkness had engulfed me. A endless nothingness that made panic break out in me. I trashed and squirmed but it was futile. I was helpless. I despaired for what felt like decades, as I saw my life flash past me and then everyone else's life wither and vanish in the wind as aeons passed and the world erupted and destroyed itself in a future age. Or was it an past age? There was no way for me to know. Just as I was giving up I saw a small white dot in the nothingness. A tiny bright spot that stood out. I stretched for it, it could be worlds away or right in front of me. Suddenly something happened to the dot. It started to expand. It cut into the dark. Like a sword would cut through enemies. It attacked the Dark so quick that I was blinded, then the screaming started. A deafening pitch that made me curl and hurt. The light was blinding me and it overwhelmed me that it felt like it was stripping me of my mind. The light burned away my mind, my soul, my past.

I opened my eyes. I was still blinded by light. Have I gone blind? I screamed at the thought and tried to stand up. Suddenly I felt something cold touch my skin. "Guthrum! Come help me hold the stranger down, he has the strength of a bull!" More cold touched my body and I grimaced. Then my head drifted and I fell asleep. The next time I awoke I could barely look around. Dark wood surrounded me on all sides and I was covered with a thick blanket. I saw a few men walk past but they hardly noticed me. How long have I been here? I started mumbling trying to find words but the words wouldn't come and I gave up. Next time I woke was when the cold returned, it was now I realized it was a human hand. I grabbed it hard and tried to get it away. "You have been out for several days. On a good day you might have snapped my arm as a twig, but not today old man. You are still to weak." It was a calming voice, young from the sound of it but reassuring. "Where am I?" I managed to croak out of me. The words were barely audible but I got a quick response. "This is The Sea Squall stranger. And I am its captain. Wayfinder is the name, we found you drifting on what looks like used to be a ship." I finally managed to get a view of the man that had saved my life. "I owe you my life" I said quick. The man that called himself Wayfinder waved it away. "Nonsense, us sailors got to take care of each other." I felt this was not the time to tell him that I was not a sailor. I looked up at the sky. I had survived, but just barely. Why did I feel so hollow. Like I was missing something, something that I had but then lost.

The next day I managed to sit up and use some of my restoration to take care of the smallest wounds that I had gotten in this ordeal. A quick heal completely drained me off energy and I had to lie down. I got to meet the rest of the men on the boat which wasn't many. You had captain Wayfinder, a kind man that apparently just recently had become a captain. The man that had held me with the Captain was Guthrum. He was a little older than me but not by much. Then you had a skulking Dark Elf with the name of Ravam Verethi who seemed more happy to be left alone, not that you would want to engage in conversation since he didn't stop talking about Captain Wayfinder being an inexperienced captain. The next few days at sea I helped a little more each day so that I could build up my strength. With some help from my heal wound spells I was quickly coming back in shape and when Guthrum yelled "Land Ahoy!" I was feeling a lot better than I had just the day before.

We docked on a small dock outside a town. Dawnstar Wayfinder had called it. It had everything you needed, from mines, an inn and even a hold mage. I stepped on solid ground for the first time in weeks and I couldn't feel happier. A promise was made with myself that I would never set out to sea again. I shook hands with all the crew even Ravam and headed into town. I had no money but Wayfinder was planning on staying for a while so he said didn't mind borrowing a few coins to me. I found the inn and got a tip from one of the patrons that Leigelf was looking for some new muscle that could break some quicksilver in his mine. The next day I headed down there and talked to the foreman. The deal was pretty easy, mine ore and get paid for the amount you bring back to him. I grabbed a available pick axe and got to work.

The days passed without much incident. I spent most of my morning and midday in the mines then I went over to the blacksmith to order some new items. There was other miners as well but I did not engage in conversation. My task was clear, mine quicksilver. Easy orders, just like in the army. From the smithy and his wife I had acquired a warm cloak, a battle staff and good boots. The air down in the mines could not be good for me over longer times so I decided to venture out in the outskirts of Dawnstar to see what I could find. My strength was returning, I had escaped my path and life seemed to going forward in the right direction. Still I felt this void inside me that took away most of the positive thoughts. This feeling had not gone away after I was washed to sea. I don't remember much but the changes from dark to light. There is urgency in this feeling and I need to fill this void quickly.

End of chapter 1.
    Last edited by Daily; March 01, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well this is an interesting start! I'm looking forward to more! A bounty on your character's head will make life hard I suppose. I hope he doesn't remain a miner for too long!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Well this is an interesting start! I'm looking forward to more! A bounty on your character's head will make life hard I suppose. I hope he doesn't remain a miner for too long!
    Thanks. I will write up Chapter two today so stay tuned. Also great story with The Astray Apprentice.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I like the formatting - it's unique.

Content Emeritus

Chapter 2: Darkness falls over Dawnstar

I awoke for another day. My old age had not been kind to me in these last few weeks in the mines and I had gotten some small work fixing small wounds with my restoration skill. A few cuts, some bruises and a
    sprain had been the magnitude of damages on people of Dawnstar. Many were grateful and paid me surprisingly quite a heavy sum for something I took for granted. My days in the mine was over which the manager Leigelf was not pleased with. Apparently his profits had increased a lot when I arrived and had dropped the same week I left. He didn't bother me with it but I heard rumours about him being quite loose with his words at the inn after a few bottles of ale in the Inn. The hard work had helped me get in shape but sadly the bad air in the mine meant that a prolonged time spent there could not be healthy. I had gotten help from the tavern maid Abelone where she would make soothing tea for my coughs. She would tease me calling me “Old Man” and yank on my beard. I had never had much experience with youth except once being one myself and the new soldiers in the army. With those we would show a tough demeanour and act like we were made of oak. With Abelone that didn't work, she would just tease me more until I cracked a half smile. She was a great talking companion and I cherished her.

With my small job as a healer I also started working with the blacksmith Rustleif. Rustleif and his wife,Seren had come here from Hammerfell. They were kind and good people which worked hard. Sadly the populace of Dawnstar had been afflicted with horrible lifelike nightmares that no one could explain. It was taking a toll on many and sadly I could not help at all. My trips to the wild had not been uneventful and I had tested out the battlestaff on several enemies including poisonous spiders and skeevers.
    The crack of bones and limbs brought back bad memories but I still felt the thrill of fighting and it was exhilarating. Tonight I just fell into bed after coming home after dark. My legs were very tired and from walking in the snow. It wasn't long until sleep took me into its sweet embrace.

I woke abruptly. Had that been a scream shattering through the darkness of my small tavern room? I grabbed my staff and rushed headlong into the common room only wearing my loincloth. The dim blue light barely penetrated the darkness but I could just make out the big room with the big square hearth in the middle. The embers was still glowing dark red from the previous day.Out of the corner of my eye I saw moment. I did not hesitate but I was too far away. The tavern's door was ripped open and a shadow vanished into the moon light. I ran after it but when I bursted out into the biting cold there was nothing there. Not even footprints on the thin layer of newly fallen snow. I hurried back inside and went into the room where I thought I saw the shadow move from. A dark spot was laying on the floor. I lit the nearest candle and sadly my fears had become true.

On the floor lay the maid of the Inn. Abelone had been the nicest thing about Dawnstar. Every time I went for one of my trips to the wild she had taken a break in her firewood collecting and wished me well. Now she lay on the floor with her eyes wide, open in terror. Frozen forever in her last moment. I tried to use some of my healing powers but there was no point. She had passed. I went down on my knees and examined her. Blood was forming under her head, it didn't seem she was bleeding from anywhere else. Then I saw it. Two puncture holes on the side of her neck. Fresh blood still flowing out in a steady stream. I have had little contact with the occult but if I knew my fairy tales well enough this was the work of a vampire. A feeling started to grow within me. A pure hatred. I rushed back into my room, grabbed my clothes and hurried out into the night.

I ran quickly following the road. Further up a small dim light appeared by the road. Next to it sat one of the guards of Dawnstar holding back blood seeping out of his stomach. He breathed heavily. “I was doing my route when a shadow came into view” he wheezed. “Don't speak” I answered and lay my hands on him. As I felt the surging of my clerical powers the man lit up with relief. After the healing was complete I stood. “Can you make it back to town?” I asked. “Thanks to you” he retorted and smiled. “What are you going to do?” I looked at him with a deathly glare. “I am going to hunt down that monster and break his face on my staff” There was nothing I could do to stop tears from swelling up. “There lies a young girl in the Inn, she is dead.” Before the guard could ask for more details I had turned away and was continuing as fast as I could. That diversion had cost me valuable time and the longer the vampire or whatever it was remained unseen the harder it would be to track it. After some time I finally found tracks that could only be someone who had recently been here. The bright moonlight and clear sky only made my tracking easier. After pressing trough a clearing of trees I spotted a old tower ruin. Could this be where the vampire had headed? My answer came when I saw two black humanoid shapes on top of the tower. I wasted no time and advanced slowly. Swish! An arrow had whizzed right past my ear missing by a thumb. This was no time for stealth. I lunged up and advanced. The next arrow missed even more and landed to my right where it disappeared into the thick snow. I saw the Orc advance a few lengths away before he reached me, I slammed into him crushing him back against the old tower door. He pushed me away and tried to raise his club for a swing. I turned around using all my momentum to drive my staff right into his skull. The only sound hemade when he died was the thud his green body made when it fell to the floor. One foe down, one to go if I was lucky. On my left I could see movement and I moved fluidly. The enemy's bow was pushed aside and the arrow released harmless into the moonlight. I lay my staff over the neck of humanoid that appeared to be a woman. I broke her nose with my forehead and gave her a quick finishing whack on the head before calming. I was breathing heavily, even panting and the taste of blood was in my mouth. I sensed the blood rush in me and I needed more. My hands lay on the big round ring on the door. I pulled it. The door slowly opened. There was no fear in me as I entered the tower.

Chapter 3: Purging
    Last edited by Daily; March 01, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nice chapter! I like how you integrated the maid with your vampire hunt. Go slay em all! +rep!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)