160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

133 83.13%
  • No, the current path is fine.

27 16.88%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Beta

Default Open Beta

Would you be willing to play Europa Barbarorum II as an open beta with all bugs and unfinished features granted in order to aid development?

See poll above.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Open Beta

Damn it, i thought this was actual open beta!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the cat View Post
    You seem disappointed, though you voted no.

Me too. Anyway, I don't think it would happen.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm curious on what's the purpose of this poll.
    We haven't reached a beta stage, otherwise we would of had a closed beta session, w/ fan volunteers, prior to the open beta.

And even before that we would of had a closed alpha session, so the title of this poll would be better Open Pre-Alpha.

Man, I took it for real!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    We haven't reached a beta stage, otherwise we would of had a closed beta session, w/ fan volunteers, prior to the open beta.

And even before that we would of had a closed alpha session, so the title of this poll would be better Open Pre-Alpha.
    Come on :/ can't be that bad, you guys showed us a hell of stuff already, other mods release their betas with far lesser features, if the current situation of mod after all these previews is not even alpha then we have to wait forever I guess :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Come on :/ can't be that bad, you guys showed us a hell of stuff already, other mods release their betas with far lesser features, if the current situation of mod after all these previews is not even alpha then we have to wait forever I guess :/
    The scope of the project is bigger than before and before we modded an Ancient era game which made things easier.
    This time not, we had to change a lot of things and redo most of the work such as: units, animations, UI, buildings, etc..

Although we have showed a lot that doesn't actually mean it's all you'll see in EB2, it's just a part of what we planned.
    Alpha and beta stages are quite close to each other, I'm pretty sure even R2TW with all the faction previews you have seen so far hasn't reached an alpha stage. So let's not be over dramatic about forever...

I can understand some persons just want a reason just to play it, but you're not the ones who suffer the most.
    We want even more than you to see it released, it's been years and years of hard work and we are annoyed daily that we're just not there. But we have to continue as in the end we're also fans of EB and plan to enjoy the spoils one day.

In conclusion, we'll have some closed alpha and beta sessions before we release an open beta. This way we will try to remove the most annoying bugs and problems so everyone can have a good experience w/ the open beta.
    Afterwards we will try and build on that into a more complete product.

A fully staffed and paid team equals on average roughly four years to make a well rounded game of the year candidate. This is in contrast to a team a quarter of that size who are paid in saltines to make a well rounded mod of the year candidate, who would conceivably require twice that at eight years. Give or take a few years for periods of where there was less than a quarter of a team due to saltine shortages. After five years in development an open/closed alpha/beta is certainly something to think about on this level (the non profit level).

I am curious of the total war community's opinion on the matter for no other purpose than to gauge reaction.
    Last edited by Shaxx; February 27, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirionis9 View Post
    Man, I took it for real!!!!!
    One feels at times obligated to keep alive the strong tradition of teasers in this sub-forum.
    Last edited by Shaxx; February 27, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxx View Post
    After five years in development an open/closed alpha/beta is certainly something to think about on this level (the non profit level).

I am curious of the total war community's opinion on the matter for no other purpose than to gauge reaction.
    Longer than that since it was announced, Not even at Pre-Alpha stage yet. Im sorry to hear that.

Good news is De Bello Mundi is in beta and are pretty close to a release from what I have heard
    Last edited by airborne guy; February 27, 2013 at 05:19 PM.

Hahahaha, me too
    Last edited by Frontlines; February 27, 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxx View Post
    A fully staffed and paid team equals on average roughly four years to make a well rounded game of the year candidate. This is in contrast to a team a quarter of that size who are paid in saltines to make a well rounded mod of the year candidate, who would conceivably require twice that at eight years. Give or take a few years for periods of where there was less than a quarter of a team due to saltine shortages. After five years in development an open/closed alpha/beta is certainly something to think about on this level (the non profit level).

I understand, well that's a pretty sound statement.
    And if you consider how much time has passed and the amount of work that has been done we're around there, a closed alpha, which is quite similar to your statement.

About De Bello Mundi, good to hear about the beta, it's a mod I'm really looking forward.

"Although we have showed a lot that doesn't actually mean it's all you'll see in EB2, it's just a part of what we planned."

What percent of what we will see ? I mean it can be a quarter or half or more, I would like to conclude if we are going to wait few more years or lesser

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    "Although we have showed a lot that doesn't actually mean it's all you'll see in EB2, it's just a part of what we planned."

What percent of what we will see ? I mean it can be a quarter or half or more, I would like to conclude if we are going to wait few more years or lesser
    That means there's more that we haven't previewed and more to do.
    It didn't meant we have x more years until we reach our goals.

However I can't say exactly how more time is needed, but let's just say it's less than how much has passed since our first preview.

@Alin.

How long have you been on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    @Alin.

How long have you been on the team?
    9 years.

Closed beta with applications not open, this would help the team weed out all the bugs/test new features, scripts etc faster.

The purpose of that would be testing not playing, pretty much as DotS team is doing...

rofl i thought it was real too and got super excited, oh well, keep up the good work, ill contiue playing inv barb2 CB for now

9 years.
    And how long have you been working on EB2?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast