Thread: German Dismounted Knights

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default German Dismounted Knights

Historians tell us that at the battle of Sempach in 1386 the Austrian heavy mounted knights dismounted their horses and used their cavalry lances as infantry against the Swiss.

Here is a portrayal of this battle

My question is: was this a common tactic for the German knights? To dismount and use their cavalry lances as an infantry weapon? Or was this a rare or even once off occurence?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: German Dismounted Knights

Dismounted knights were ridiculous common during Middle Age in all periods, not just in Germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

You misunderstood my question. I am aware that dismounted knights were common. My question was if it was common for dismounted knights to use their cavalry lances as an infantry weapons? As in the above picture.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    You misunderstood my question. I am aware that dismounted knights were common. My question was if it was common for dismounted knights to use their cavalry lances as an infantry weapons? As in the above picture.
    It most certainly had to be a rare occurrence for knights to dismount en masse and coordinate an infantry attack using cavalry lances essentially as pikes. The only reason the Austrians dismounted from their horses in the first place was because the given terrain at Sempach was deemed unsuitable for a cavalry attack against the Swiss. If the terrain had been different they most likely would not have dismounted at all. And yes, dismounted knights were common, but not while wielding long cavalry lances that were used primarily for mounted shock tactics.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Cavalry lances were simply long, heavy spears until the latter half of the 15th century. So obviously they could be used on foot.