Thread: Romanized people ethnonyms after the fall of the Western Empire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Default Romanized people ethnonyms after the fall of the Western Empire

As the title show, I would be interested to know if there are any records (documents, inscriptions) of the ethnonyms used for the Romanized people (Gallo-Romans, Iberian-Romans, Italics, Rhaeto-Romans) in the first centuries after the fall of the WRE, before the emergence of the current ethnonyms. Further, I would be interested to know what happened with the Roman ethnonym in the centuries following the collapse of the WRE, more exactly, when and how was replaced with the current ethnonyms, like French, Spanish, Italians, Wallon, etc

Thank you in advance

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Romanized people ethnonyms after the fall of the Western Empire

They were called Romans quite long after the conquest by the Germans, for example in the oaths of Strasbourg the French language of the day was called simply Roman. I think it was the case in the other barbaric kingdoms as well, for example in Lombard laws contemporary Italians were called simply Romans, as well in Visigothic Spain.
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

And there is also name Vlach name.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I remember reading a document from the reign of Charlemagne (768-814) where the Aquitainians referred to themselves as being 'Romans' to distinguish themselves from the Franks.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Father Jack View Post
    I remember reading a document from the reign of Charlemagne (768-814) where the Aquitainians referred to themselves as being 'Romans' to distinguish themselves from the Franks.
    Any chance to remember more about this document??? Thany you in advanceJ

Quote Originally Posted by clandestino View Post
    They were called Romans quite long after the conquest by the Germans, for example in the oaths of Strasbourg the French language of the day was called simply Roman. I think it was the case in the other barbaric kingdoms as well, for example in Lombard laws contemporary Italians were called simply Romans, as well in Visigothic Spain.
    Thanks for the precious information. I would be interested to know if they also called themselves Romans, and for how long they continues using this name after the fall of the Emprie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    And there is also name Vlach name.
    The term Vlach is more of an exonym for the Eastern Romanized population, and was seldomly used as an autonym. As of today, just Megleno-Romanians call themselves Vlasi, while Istro-Romanians call themselves both, as well as Rumunski, Rumeni, Rumeri, Rumunji or Ćići and Ćiribiri. The two largest Eastern Romanic groups call themselves Aromani and Romāni.

I think that the adoption of by Megleno-Romanians that in the beginning they too used an autonym derived from Roman, but after living surrounded by Slavs for centuries is probably they adopted the Vlasi name. Something of this kind happened with Wallons from Belgium, which supposedly used the term Romandy up until Middle Ages*.

* I’m not very certain of the latter information considering that I found it only on Wikipedia.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

double post