Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Music, Music, Music - what do you listen to? Share with us and relish in the knowledge you will always have a better taste in music than me!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Music, Music, Music - what do you listen to? Share with us and relish in the knowledge you will always have a better taste in music than me!

I though us reds could do with a place where you share what we listen to, what we don't, and offer suggestions etc. Like TWC's version of Apple's Genius...

I frequently subject the people in the TotW forum to the sort of music I find myself listening to, so why should the elite not suffer the same?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Music, Music, Music - what do you listen to? Share with us and relish in the knowledge you will always have a better taste in music then me!

Like what?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Music, Music, Music - what do you listen to? Share with us and relish in the knowledge you will always have a better taste in music then me!

Like what?

As in like what do I listen to? Or like what as in like what should I post? In the latter case anything you listen to... in my case very "alternative". Of Monsters and Men, The Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, Kodaline etc. However I also stray into Kings of Leon (the best), The Kooks, U"2, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc.

Blog Entries

You used the word 'like' a single time in your OP and I was addressing exactly this

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Well glad we got it sorted.

Blog Entries

Which means I'm never going to learn what genius apple you referred to. *sniff*

Citizen

Blog Entries

I misread youwas being stupid...

Genius? Apple? You know on an iPod you press Genius and it creates a new playlist based off what you are listening to?

Blog Entries

I don't own a single product of that company.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Favorite artists are as follows Orchestral Manoeuvress in the Dark, David Bowie, Ultravox, Visage, Kraftwerk, a-ha, Rush, New Order and Spandau Ballet.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Well, what do you listen to anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Favorite artists are as follows Orchestral Manoeuvress in the Dark, David Bowie, Ultravox, Visage, Kraftwerk, a-ha, Rush, New Order and Spandau Ballet.
    I only recognise David Bowie from that list... Mainly because the theme tune to the TV show "Life on Mars" is his Life on Mars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Well, what do you listen to anyway?
    In general or right now? In general: a lot! Right now:

Citizen

Blog Entries

Now that is interesting.

I had such a nice post earlier for this thread and then the site 503ed on me ;(

I'm a big fan of Baroque, classical, romantic music. My favorite composers are Arcangelo Coreli and Handel

I really appreciate choral music too. John Tavener wrote some great stuff but this is probably my favorite piece by Allegri

Moving on to something a bit more modern sounding I guess is folk music. I love the stuff, especially British folk music. Anything like the Dubliners, Skinny Lister, or Susan Mckeown is right up my alley. Flogging Molly falls loosely into that category and deserves a mention because its my favorite group of all time.

As far as rock goes I basically like it all. Classic metal gets a little boring after a while as does classic rock. I can't stand the Eagles...don't understand what's so musically interesting about them. A lot of classic rock is just boring. Punk is generally cool even if I don't really buy into it. I really like post-hardcore/progressive metal/whatever you want to call it. Its probably what I end up listening to more often than not. I like all of it really, ranging from pure instrumental to clean lyrics to screaming. I'll give the full spectrum:

Between the Buried and Me (pretty much 100% screaming) Instrumentally gratifying.

Of Mice and Men (maybe 50% clean)

We Came as Romans (maybe 50% clean) A different feeling than Of Mice and Men, even if the clean ratio is about the same.

Enter Shikari (nintendocore, probably 50% clean) I don't understand why people that like dubstep don't just get into this stuff...combines the best of both genres but kind of has a 'point'

Sleeping with Sirens
    (about 10% scream)

Russian Circles (purely instrumental) AWESOME!

I also love awesome covers!

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Keep the faith. I just had to jury rig a friend's MacBook cord because he ran over it with a chair and pinched it, and Apple wants $80 for a new one. I will never touch that bs, no matter how good they get.

On topic though, lately I've been listening to lots of good alternative-retro rock bands, lighter rock, garage rock and foot stomping rock. It's a tough genre to define, but basically anything that you can drive well to, as I'm driving close to 50 miles a day now, I spend plenty of time in the car.

Huge posts with lots of videos, beware
    Jet

A really good retro-rock band. They don't have much original stuff but and the lyrics admittedly aren't great, but they have lots of good foot stomping beats and the singer's voice is really awesome. Unfortunately, they broke up a year or so ago, but there's still three really good albums by them. Most people are only familiar with their more popular stuff like Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Cold Hard ***** but they have lots of good other stuff. They have that very Australian garage rock sound that was pretty prevalent during the early 90's. If I was to compare them to any artist, I'd say they're a mix between the Beatles and AC\DC. Listen to enough of their stuff and you'll come to realize that. They're probably my favorite band right now.

Oasis

Again, some retro tones, I'm pretty sure they're another good Australian garage rock band. Some of their stuff can get repetitive but they have a lot of good tunes and rythms. Between Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe, there's enough variety to keep you from getting bored. Again the lyrics are a little bit lacking in terms of meaning, but they definitely still have a really good sound as a band and play their instruments very well. Definitely some good songs to add to any repertoire or playlist. Their ballad stuff is pretty good too, as evidenced in the song Wonderwall. Unfortunately again, they broke up a few years ago.

The White Stripes

The White Stripes are another band with some good foot stomping retro inspired tunes. If I had to (and I might catch some flak for this) I'd say they're heavily influenced by Led Zep, and there's major parallels between the two bands. Except that you know, LZ hasn't made music in years. And yeah, The White Stripes did break up, but a lot of their stuff still has a fresh sound. Most people know them for Seven Nation Army but they actually have a lot of better stuff in my opinion, mixing up tunes and not being so well...weird.

The Black Crowes

These guys caught the bottom end of the classic rock generation, they were definitely heavily inspired by it, as well as bands like Lyrnrd Skyrnd (no idea if I spelled that right) and have a slightly more country tune. I don't really know much else about them but they have some really good tunes and never get played on the radio where I am.

The Black Keys

In short, El Camino is probably the best album to be released in the past few years in the rock genre, yet it was completely dwarfed by the terrible band Fun and their crappy songs and whiny voices. Like Fun, they have some gospel undertones, mixed in with some good garage rock. There's not a single song on this album that I don't like and there's some good variety as well. I can't recommend this album enough.

Finally some honorable mentions in my playlists go to Muse, Halestorm, Tom Petty, The Verve, Passion Pit and Shinedown
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Dear Lord! I only listen to well-mannered music. As Bach said,

Damit dieses eine wohlklingende Harmonie gebe zur Ehre Gottes und zulässiger Ergötzung des Gemüts und soll wie aller Musik ... Finis und Endursache anders nicht, als nur zu Gottes Ehre und Recreation des Gemüths sein.
    Wo dieses nicht in acht genommen wird, da ist's keine eigentliche Musik sondern ein teuflisches Geplärr und Geleyer.

Citizen

Blog Entries

@Ponti, quite a range you have there. When I saw "Of Mice and Men" I got excited for a minute and though another "Of Monsters and Men" fan had come up.

If you get the chance give "Kodaline" a listen and let me know what you think.

@Bolk, glad to see Oasis and White Stripes up there. Haven't listened to much Jet but I'll give them a shout. Are you a fan of the Kings of Leon? Arctic Monkeys perhaps?

@Diamat, I have no idea what that means....

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

@Diamat, I have no idea what that means....
    Translation for those incapable of understanding the finest language on God's Earth: "In order to produce a nice-sounding harmony for the Glory of God and permissible regalement of the soul, the aim and final end of all music should be none other than the Glory of God and the soul's recreation. Where this is ignored, there is no actual music, but only a devilish cacophony."

Blog Entries

That is why you are my assistant! +repgazillion

@Bolk, glad to see Oasis and White Stripes up there. Haven't listened to much Jet but I'll give them a shout. Are you a fan of the Kings of Leon? Arctic Monkeys perhaps?
    No, I keep hearing the names but haven't gotten around to looking them up. I will one of these days.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

@Ponti, quite a range you have there. When I saw "Of Mice and Men" I got excited for a minute and though another "Of Monsters and Men" fan had come up.

If you get the chance give "Kodaline" a listen and let me know what you think.
    Lol, not really my speed. Soft rock is kind of obnoxious to me. Of Mice and Men couldn't be more different than that band

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast