View Poll Results: Do you happy that you will see wardogs in Rome 2?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

177 71.08%
  • No

72 28.92%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wardogs... Why?!?

Campidoctor

Default Re: Wardogs... Why?!?

I don't carry much knowledge about antiquity beyond what every person generally knows, but I can honestly say that certain units in Rome I provided an interesting experience beyond the standard infantry, missile, cavalry units that you see in virtually every TW game. I feel Berserkers and War dogs were a healthy departure from the other traditional units and were in the very least fun to control and fight against even if they aren't grounded in absolute fact compared to the well known units of the era. I'm honestly glad that they are back, in some form or another.

also the saxons used them.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

What people need to keep in mind is CA's 'fun' policy. They already stated quite categorically that some elements of Rome2 will be included solely for the 'fun' factor. Eg; The Iceni. Whether dogs were in fact used as a 'bona-fido' military unit is pretty irrelevant.

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Come on, even though I don't like the Iceni, they provide a very interesting gameplay with their chariots, especially now, when the engine is capable of letting the warriors get off the chariots, fight and then hop on them again. And that's the historical usage! Wolf warriors and war dogs are a way to increase the battle capability of the Germanic faction and also increase the coolness factor.

As long as there aren't "head hurlers", screeching women(such a waste of boobs ) and armies made of flaming pigs, it will be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

I'm all for having wardogs ingame. As much as I like history and love playing "historical" games, they are still games. I'll sacrifice historical authenticity for unit diversity anyday as long as it's fun. I'm also for having Screeching Women ingame, they were probably the most historically accurate in the first Rome anyway. Nobody can come and tell me that women haven't been screeching since day one.
    "Some people live to be role models, I live to be a horrifying example" - Kåre Valebrokk (R.I.P.)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

'they provide a very interesting gameplay' = fun...

The Iceni being 'fun' was an actual statement from 'CA.' I read it somewhere on here the other day.. Any way, I just wanted an excuse to post the 'bona-fido' gag.. Come on, it's a great gag...

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
    Maybe wardogs were use few times
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
    "fantasy" units?
    This thread is stupid.

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by EdmireDragonbane View Post
    Wardogs were used..there are many historical accounts of them being used...Did you by chance time-travel?
    From Ireland to Bohemia different of size and ferocity ,but wardogs never less .
    What about Roman pigs ?

They were eaten in Latium, preferably roasted. Some dogs ate pork, so I guess a Suebi hound unit> a Roman pig unit. You've all seen the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyx732 View Post
    This thread is stupid.
    This.

War dogs are stupid

And someone said the AI never used them in the original game which is a complete fabrication.Vanilla rome was PLAGUED by the AI recruiting peasants, wardogs and ballista/onager.I saw more roman armies made up of wardogs and peasants than i did legions.

So sad that they never learn and have to bring back these stupid units.Are the sparkling bezerkers that send men flying 30ft through the air coming back too?

Quote Originally Posted by bojieh View Post
    They were eaten in Latium, preferably roasted. Some dogs ate pork, so I guess a Suebi hound unit> a Roman pig unit. You've all seen the evidence.
    Before roasting Romans were directing them into enemy lines -convinient

I welcome the dogs of war

Have Romanes used gladiators?
    I also don't remeber them using archers irl

Is there war dogs,flaming pigs and other stupid units in europa barbarorum,rome total realism,invasio barbarorum and other mods?no,because the mods corrected the big mistakes of CA,many years have passed since that rome totalwar released,have many historical units with mods,internet have many historical information,excellent historical books and historical series as osprey for to historical units in variety.
    CA no excuse to return has the same mistakes and do these absurd units.
    much choice in historical units.
    Last edited by Anibal at portas; February 26, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

i love wardogs
    Ihr seid verfluchte Hunde!

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    Is there war dogs,flaming pigs and other stupid units in europa barbarorum,rome total realism,invasio barbarorum and other mods?no,because the mods corrected the big mistakes of CA,many years have passed since that rome totalwar released,have many historical units with mods,internet have many historical information,excellent historical books and historical series as osprey for to historical units in variety.
    CA no excuse to return has the same mistakes and do these absurd units.
    much choice in historical units.
    Maybe you should just not buy the game.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Nah, I'm sure he'll buy it. Think about hipsters who watch a popular movie just so they can complain about it for months afterward.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Didn't EB have Germanic pike phalanxes, Brythonic warriors wielding zweihanders, and Goidelic warriors wielding impractically large warhammers? Or some other such fantasy units?

The question shouldn't be "why use war dogs", it should be "why waste all these resources to create models, SPECIAL ANIMATIONS, flavour, sound effects, etc. for a unit that borders on fantasy when you have so many other options?" Might as well create Arquimedes' beam shooting boat for the Greek faction.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Last edited by Glaumir; February 26, 2013 at 07:58 PM.