View Poll Results: Do you happy that you will see wardogs in Rome 2?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

177 71.08%
  • No

72 28.92%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wardogs... Why?!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Indefinitely Banned

Default Wardogs... Why?!?

Few months ago we heards that in Rome 2 won't be war dogs, germanic women, flaming pigs etc.
    Yesterday we have seen screen from battle of Teutoberg Forrest with wardogs vs legionaries. Was it a joke? In real history in Teutoburg Forrest Legionaries didn't fighting wardogs.
    In NTW and STW2 roster are more realistic and historical. Why in next game - Rome 2 will we come back to Rome 1/ Empire "fantasy" roster. Maybe wardogs were use few times, but it wasn't a regular unit like legionaries, syrian archers, phalangites etc.
    Why Rome 2 will come back to RTW 1 "fantasy" units?

Default Re: Wardogs... Why?!?

Doesn't make a difference to me, really. If they're in the game or not, I'll enjoy it regardless. Also, they were pretty easy to take out if they were ever brought to a battle, so it really makes no difference to me.

I think they'll make them a smaller unit this time. Something that's smaller in scale which should maybe make it a bit more realistic. Around 12-24 war dogs per unit sounds about right, IMO.

Yeah, that's a more realistic size unit for them.

Indefinitely Banned

They could be used to flush out ambushers in long grass

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    They could be used to flush out ambushers in long grass
    Yep

I don't think they would add something like this unless it's going to have its uses, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Indefinitely Banned

so why they didn't add wardogs to STW2? In STW2 factions have similar roster and units. There wasn't a big variety and difference. In RTW2 are more difference between units than STW2, so we don't need wardogs. There are many various and historical units - Romans, Macedonians, Seleucids, Gauls, Britons, Germans, Numidians, Parthians etc. - more difference. STW2 have no various units like Rome, but have historical units. Rome 2 with only historical units will have different rosters. We don't need fantasy units. Gameplay will be great with historical rosters.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Because wardogs are beast.

Because CA are British and the British like dogs, ok?!

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Knight117 View Post
    Because CA are British and the British like dogs, ok?!
    HaHa! Yeah its a nationalistic decision.
    But i dont have a problem with war dogs.

Wardogs were used..there are many historical accounts of them being used...Did you by chance time-travel?

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

If you don't like war dogs, then don't recruit them.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    If you don't like war dogs, then don't recruit them.
    True, but the AI in Rome 1 could have a whole roster with this **** unit, which make it quite boring

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by EdmireDragonbane View Post
    Wardogs were used..there are many historical accounts of them being used...Did you by chance time-travel?
    From Ireland to Bohemia different of size and ferocity ,but wardogs never less .
    What about Roman pigs ?

Seriously.

Can people use logic for once? Why would you -not- use dogs in warfare? Big dogs are SCARY and they can sure as hell kill or seriously wound someone under the right circumstances. Why do people think they are a "fantasy" unit? "uhh AI will spam dogs all day" - first of all, the AI very, very rarely used dogs in Rome 1, and even if for some reason they would mess up the AI there have been unit limits since Empire, so it's not a problem regardless.

Now obviously dogs will have to be a special unit, they shouldn't be able to win a 1v1 with a regular infantry unit, but they could maybe reduce enemy morale if they attacked from behind (and just do more damage from behind in general), sniff out hidden units (although you've got to be careful with this, you don't want them to just hardcounter every faction that relies on hiding units), or chasing down fleeing enemies.

Serkelet's Avatar Ordinarius

Why so much anti-wardoggism? They are fun and not so ahistorical! They were used in real life! What's the problem? You don't like them in big scale battles? In Rome 1 they were totally useless against heavy infantry, and I expect the same thing in Rome 2, making them a good harassing skirmishing unit, and probably useful for the new "line of sight" system, for scouting and harassing... which, surprise! its what they were used for in History!

Quote Originally Posted by Serkelet View Post
    Why so much anti-wardoggism? They are fun and not so ahistorical! They were used in real life! What's the problem? You don't like them in big scale battles? In Rome 1 they were totally useless against heavy infantry, and I expect the same thing in Rome 2, making them a good harassing skirmishing unit, and probably useful for the new "line of sight" system, for scouting and harassing... which, surprise! its what they were used for in History!
    Really? Dogs for scouting?

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

@Lockcaps: In R1 I have encountered Roman armies with like 8 units of wardogs, and also a significant use of worthless gladiators.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post
    @Lockcaps: In R1 I have encountered Roman armies with like 8 units of wardogs, and also a significant use of worthless gladiators.
    Yep and I hear that in Rome 2 they will use the exact same AI as Rome 1.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Good for chasing off horse archers/skirmishers (basically units who have auto-retreat).. Not much else..

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Well, if that's the case, I'd like to see Molossian wardogs for Epirus - if this faction is ever released or modded into the game.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast