Thread: Style development information

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Style development information

I just spent an hour or so cleaning up some stuff in the styles, so I think I'm going to layout some rules for how styles should be worked on.

1. Do not change any templates
    2. The folder structure for styles is that all styles will have a sub directory within the images folder (the way we did it under vb3 is not maintainable)
    3. Do not host any images for the styles either as an attachment or offsite (i.e. imageshak, etc)
    4. Pursuant to the above if you need to upload images let tech know so we can, with GED/my approval, grant access to the web interface that will allow you to upload files to the images directory
    5. Do not change any templates

If I think of any more things I want followed as rules I'll post them here.

Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Barackolypse Now
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Style development information

I set y2days root folder to www/forums so he can grab stuff out of the old skin folders, and pointed him to this post so he knows how you want new images set up.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Director Technical Staff Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ya sorry Squid before I had access I was hosting images in my profile to test out the new skin. I will make sure I move them and keep everything in my folder under images. I set mine up originally as it was in VB3, Sorry about that.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

No worries. For the web interface I changed your root folder to forums/images, and since I moved your skin folder to within the images (i.e. images/y2skin) you'll be able to grab whatever you need from the default images.

As for the rules, both Sim and I grumbled over the number of customized templates we had in the old structure, most of which weren't necessary if the styles had been made using vb3 stylevar's instead of altering templates. This way there are rules laid out that can be referred to.

The one template you can change is the additional.css template since it does not require merging with upgrades to vbulletin, but only use it if you need to add a new css rule. The template additional.css is always the last css template loaded so if you add a rule for an already created class it will override any previous set css styling that you specifiy.

@GED, I'd moved this root to the image directory after I'd moved the directory for his skin into it. From forums/images he has access to all style images including his own.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I am fine with how you have it setup and since you are the one that fixes this stuff when there is a problem then you can make any rules you want. Anything that makes it easier to upgrade or maintain is fine by me.

Which is why I am now going to point you to the ads instead of hacking up the global file myself.

I noticed in the admincp that neither you nor I had permissions for some of the new stuff, that has been changed though only for the two of us. I also need to stick our userid's in the protected list, I will get that done in a minute.

The Ad Manager for vBulletin 4 is actually fairly decent compared to the way we used to do it. We currently have CPM at the top, AdSense the next one down, and then GAO and CPM again at the bottom using the default Global template. MCC is getting better CPC on AdSense so I threw that tag in the mix and kept our cap at 4 ads.

However as you can see the top one is aligned left, this is because there area actually 2 slots on the top banner and I can either choose left or right. There is no option to center it and I didnt want to mess with that template until I mentioned it to you. It also seems to have moved the Account information links like My Account and My Profile, they are floating now.

The AdSense ad would normally be aligned left as well, I just threw in a div and centered it.

The bottom ad slot actually has two ad codes in it, which works, but there needs to be a space between them. I will throw in a paragraph tag and see if that looks better.

And last but not least, in the Advertising section is a new Skimlinks section. Is that the one you used to setup Skimlinks or did you port the old plugin?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks Squid but I also need access to the old Skins. Can you copy them to the images directory? I hope to create new skins out of them once I have the new default TWC skin done.

Thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Squid or GED - I need access to the Forum directory or the old skin folders moved/copied to the images directory. I hope to get at least another skin going this weekend and will need access to the old skin's files.

Also can someone look into this? The image "contentbox.png" found in images/misc was not a default image. I created it and uploaded it to the default misc folder after looking at a forum page source in firefox and seeing it look to that directory for the contentbox image. I copied the misc folder to my folder "y2skin" and changed the imgdir_misc to images/y2skin/misc and then moved the contentbox.png file to my directory. Changing the imgdir_misc to my folder didn't make the directory change when looking at the page source in firefox and the image of the contentbox didn't show. I moved it back to the default image/misc folder and it shows up. I guess this is because of a hack? or template change? I know when we create new skins we will want different content box images, so this will have to be addressed unless we have to create one default image for all skins. Either way let me know.

thanks
    y
    Last edited by y2day; March 02, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    Squid or GED - I need access to the Forum directory or the old skin folders moved/copied to the images directory. I hope to get at least another skin going this weekend and will need access to the old skin's files.

Also can someone look into this? The image "contentbox.png" found in images/misc was not a default image. I created it and uploaded it to the default misc folder after looking at a forum page source in firefox and seeing it look to that directory for the contentbox image. I copied the misc folder to my folder "y2skin" and changed the imgdir_misc to images/y2skin/misc and then moved the contentbox.png file to my directory. Changing the imgdir_misc to my folder didn't make the directory change when looking at the page source in firefox and the image of the contentbox didn't show. I moved it back to the default image/misc folder and it shows up. I guess this is because of a hack? or template change? I know when we create new skins we will want different content box images, so this will have to be addressed unless we have to create one default image for all skins. Either way let me know.

thanks
    y
    I'll get to this on Monday.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

No hurry Squid. With the site being so slow right now I don't have the patience to work on skins. You could also zip the folders for the old skins up and let me download them if you wanted. That way you wouldn't have to worry about me having access to anything else. Either way is fine with me. It will just be easier than trying to recreate the work in the future.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I still don't have access to the old files, and is someone going to address the REP system? I could give the rep system a go if I had the permissions to do so.

I haven't done much with the Rome II skin because of RL and the site issues. After I finish the Rome II skin I will want to have the access to the old files.

Ishan's Avatar At Your Service!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Update: I optimized the y2skin aka default TWCenter skin from 4,140 Kilobytes to 197 Kilobytes. Now it loads much faster so that has its own advantages. Still plenty of small stuff remain on both the main visible skins here (this and rome 2 one), which i will do at last. These are basically small new custom icons. Batch processing is more appropriate for these icons rather than doing it one by one.

Problem: Now my problem is that every time i replace a pic using eXtplorer, i don't see the change in real time anymore. Earlier what i used to do was just make my changes and replace new backgrounds and simply did a hard refresh using Ctrl+F5 which would then reload the new skin directly from the server by overwriting any copy saved on my browser cache. However i don't see this change in real time anymore and this makes skin development a lot harder. I had to wait like 15 minutes till i could see these changes. And i'm suspecting this is because of the recent cloudfare thing?

Another thing is that the style i'm working on is the medieval2 one, which can be selected from the style chooser and has the ID: styleid=47, yet even after putting that in my web address i see TWCenter one and not the one i'm working on. How to deal with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
    Okay it loaded (medieval2 skin) one time just right now and then vanished again into showing me the TWCenter default skin again.

Edit2:
    I deleted the whole skin that i was working on, since all of them were loading except the one i was working on. I exported the .xml format on my PC before deleting it though. Then i tried to create a new one but i saw write error:

Is this normal? And the result was this:

^Alignment all messed up and the new skin isn't loading properly. This is frustrating. Actual skin development using vB's stylevar is child's play but i'm unable to even get to that point.
    Last edited by Ishan; November 22, 2013 at 04:23 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I made a change, so try again and see if that fixed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I made a change, so try again and see if that fixed it.
    Yes i imported the xml and overwrote it on the new one that was messed up, its new ID is 54. Everything was restored back where i left it but now again i'm not seeing this skin but instead TWCenter one. I will empty my cache and try again to see whether it's on my end or something here.

Yup did that but still i can't view it. Can you see it now? The one with the templar, (click).
    Last edited by Ishan; November 22, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I can see the style, you're using dashed lines around the forum header bits in the forum homepage. As long as you aren't getting the not writable message things should be OK, though it might take time to propagate through the CDN.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes that's the one. I did some editing via stylevar and i got see the skin in this thread but as soon as i went on some other page, which was main page, it reverted back to displaying TWCenter skin. Not sure what's the reason for this.

Edit:
    Yes for now it seems to be working and in stylevar i'm not seeing the write error anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit2:
    Alright my issues seems to have been fixed and i'm able to do it just fine now. Although one issue still remains and that is updated images are not being synced in real time anymore and therefore i'm unable to see any graphical changes i do. I can view the new image which i replaced in the eXtplorer but not on the forums. Hard Refreshing & emptying cache doesn't seem to be of any help.

And most likely it's the thing you say about CDN. Are these people discussing the same issue?
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/p...cing-cdn-files

Anyways can i know the least time when this gets updated? Because then i would change my working style. I would then be replacing images in bulk and checking them later on after that specific time whilst doing other related work while things update and i could see if something needs changing or any adjustment. Although this makes it a lot difficult to do this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit3:
    Alright i have found a very easy workaround for this "graphics not updating in real time" problem. What i do now is that, as soon as I overwrite them, i rename the file to something new and then provide that new filename path using stylevar and i instantly get to see whether the new graphic blends well to my taste or not. Consider all of this resolved.
    Last edited by Ishan; November 23, 2013 at 04:31 AM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Anyways can i know the least time when this gets updated?
    Its updated daily, but I doubt there is a set time for that. It probably changes a bit depending on what their load situation is, sort of like any other massive update service works. They cant have 10,000 sites updating at noon and none getting updated the rest of the day.

Edit3:
    Alright i have found a very easy workaround for this "graphics not updating in real time" problem. What i do now is that, as soon as I overwrite them, i rename the file to something new and then provide that new filename path using stylevar and i instantly get to see whether the new graphic blends well to my taste or not. Consider all of this resolved.
    Just don't get tons of stuff piled up doing that. If you aren't careful we will have orphaned stuff all over the place. It would probably be better to give you access to Pandora and make the changes on that, then when you are happy push them to the live site.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Its updated daily, but I doubt there is a set time for that. It probably changes a bit depending on what their load situation is, sort of like any other massive update service works. They cant have 10,000 sites updating at noon and none getting updated the rest of the day.
    Yes i noticed that. And the update can happen within one minute or several hours, can take like 4 hours or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Just don't get tons of stuff piled up doing that. If you aren't careful we will have orphaned stuff all over the place. It would probably be better to give you access to Pandora and make the changes on that, then when you are happy push them to the live site.
    I'm using only singular file for one purpose only when doing this. What i do is that, say i updated some graphic called xyz_icon_30.png. Then in stylevar i assign it a new name, let say xyz_icon_31.png and then rename that in the eXtplorer. Then i notice the change instantly. Surely if "xyz_icon_30.png" doesn't exist anymore physically, the cloudfront service will get rid of it after when it updates its thing?

Similarly, there is a section in stylevar in which we can have fixed filenames only, called Imagepaths which basically contains all the main icons we use on vB. So we have to provide a directory path with the new set of icons we have. Like it has a folder called "status_icon" and whenever i updated few icons in it, i just renamed the entire folder and gave the new altered path in stylevar, like status_icon2, 3 and so on and then flipped back to status_icon after several hours when i felt that that cached copy must have been deleted by cloud service. Will it still cause the orphan issue you're talking about? I'm quite sure it doesn't since files are never replicated in the first place. Did i make sense?
    Last edited by Ishan; November 24, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Thread Information