Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Default Re: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

It appears the starting pikemen have remained, and are rather useful as a cav deterrent due to their morale effect.

ER wasn't the mod I had in mind when I eventually picked up E:TW last year, but it turned out to be the one I ended up playing most, and version 4 is proving the best one so far by a large margin.
    Thank you for all the effort that has gone into it, it's greatly appreciated.

There's still the underlying problem that the 18th century is a singularly poor setting for "total war" and attempts to conquer the entire map, and any attempt at realism will run into issues because of that eventually, but the land battles in particular are so great that it's easy to put up with that.

I've been playing a Swedish campaign, and the one odd thing I've noticed so far is that Russia is attacking me with a lot of provincial infantry, despite their armies being recruited in their starting territories.

Other nations field regular line infantry as I'd expect, and I'm actually looking forward a lot to the inevitable clash with Prussia that's going to happen soon.

Yes, there are few Pikemen still available from starting armies.

Regarding Provincials, they are cheaper,but less effective than normal Line, anyway AI often goes for cheaper units.. Standard Line Infantry is restricted to home regions, so Provincials are there to give you ability to recruit some unit even in enemy home regions.. problem is, with ETW engine it is not possible to restrict their recruitability so they wont be available at the same time as normal Line... (anyway i have removed them from asian russian provinces which are not able to recruit provincials, but only cossacks)

Prussians are strong, very strong tactically, with excelent infantry... once you meet their Grenadiers in battle you will have hard time... (in one my French Campaign i was defeated by Prussian AI army of same size, because of concentrated attack done by few Grenadier battalions... they are hard to beat)

awesome, can't wait to properly test this baby

Quote Originally Posted by jackx View Post
    It appears the starting pikemen have remained, and are rather useful as a cav deterrent due to their morale effect.

ER wasn't the mod I had in mind when I eventually picked up E:TW last year, but it turned out to be the one I ended up playing most, and version 4 is proving the best one so far by a large margin.
    Thank you for all the effort that has gone into it, it's greatly appreciated.

There's still the underlying problem that the 18th century is a singularly poor setting for "total war" and attempts to conquer the entire map, and any attempt at realism will run into issues because of that eventually, but the land battles in particular are so great that it's easy to put up with that.

I've been playing a Swedish campaign, and the one odd thing I've noticed so far is that Russia is attacking me with a lot of provincial infantry, despite their armies being recruited in their starting territories.

Other nations field regular line infantry as I'd expect, and I'm actually looking forward a lot to the inevitable clash with Prussia that's going to happen soon.
    I've had the opposite when I decided to give another Carolean game a go, since I am not too fond of colonial factions. Denmark had lots of provincial garrison, but Russia actually made something that resembled an army time after time, and I've actually had to ship line infantry back and forth between two fronts every now and then to keep things stable, especially since Poland also declared war on me. Denmark was not as much problem as the general occupation was to get people in order, and Hannover also was kind of easy despite their large army, but after two pretty disastrous defeats inflicted upon the Russians, I am not sure what happened, but the AI took its sweet time to relocate 1-3 unit stacks to the front, then go to Karelia, and clearly plan a flanking manouvre with superior numbers to Finland while another army was marching from Moscow; basically 2x guards, some cossack cavalry, 4x line infantry and little bit of artillery, and the small stacks combined near Ingria and Karelia were basically line infantry and relatively cavalry heavy troops, with extra line infantry still merging up. Not willing to let them just outflank through the wilderness, no matter how sweet time they would take, with basically just two pikemen, two culverins, hakkapeliitta, regiment of horse, and five provincial battalions I wedged between the stacks in middle of winter. Approx. ~1200 vs ~2800 (most of my army was slightly understrenght, cavalry, pikemen, and artillery in the best shape overall), in middle of winter, worse possible weather you can imagine, and AI reinforcements partially coming from my flanks. Situation excellent, since one thing AI fails at (and no, I don't blame you JaM ) is keeping unit fatique in order in poor weather. Let's just say after rather defensive cavalry counterattacks against tired Russian cavalry trying to charge the guns, and slowly pulling AI troops close enough for canister range and inevitable pikemen and cavalry counterattack, the battle ended up with ~270 casualties on my end, and ~2400 to the Russians.

Probably one of the best battles I've fought, even if thanks to AI's lackluster capabilities which can't be fixed.
    Last edited by Mjarr; April 10, 2013 at 05:34 AM.

Well, the Russians are back on track now, fielding more or less proper armies, so maybe those provincials were just a weird coincidence.

The war with Prussia has been postponed, as they suddenly wanted to become my ally, which is fine with me, as it puts them at an even greater disadvantage should we fight later on - their parade-ground troops may be better on paper, but they've so far been constantly at peace, so my armies have an ever-increasing experience edge.

It's 1710 now, and the way it's going, this particular GNW will probably be over a bit early, and with Sweden not only victorious, but also prosperous (if a bit behind in the latest tech) and populous.

Nice one, JaM..

With the final version I started a new campaign as Maratha. Only got a couple turns done yet, but had a nice thing happening already. A Mughal army moved close enough into range for two of my armies to intercept it. When I did, the loading screen for a battle came up. A short glimpse of terrain followed and then immediately came the message that I've been victorious.. That was the FIRST time that I witnessed an AI army retreating, due to terrible odds against them ^^

hi, I've been reading through the forum for a while now, and I've noticed the mentioning of Kaunitz work in the battle system. I've followed Kaunitz work as well and found it very interesting. But how deeply has this been implemented in the mod?
    Main obvious features were tighter unit density, slow-movement marches and the replacement of fatigue with cohesion. what still remains of this in the mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Its not like that. I was developing combat mechanics independently from Kaunitz Mod. Anyway, during development, i was communicating with Didz, who did a lot of research for Kaunitz Mod,and i also read all their discussions and ideas about how units should behave to simulate real battlefield tactics. So, in the end, ER4 is different from Kaunitz Mod in many aspects, but it uses same goals, and same ideas. (and of course i cant forgot Maior's help with testing, who originally also did some beta testing for Kaunitz.) There are even some features, that Kaunitz was not able to make work at the time, but i found some new workarounds to make them happen. (like for example cavalry melee vulnerability)

Why removed forts? In this mod they are very important.

They are not removed, they are limited to capital city only. Small nations will get their forts build because they only have one province anyway. Large nations will get only their capital fortified.. And there is still possibility to build forts wherever you want using your army..

Sixt's Avatar Civis

I really like the ambition and goals of your mod, and playing it, and the feeling of it are really great. Like the idea of making every faction having there own set of stats and goals. It feels really realistic :-)
    there are somethings though, i have played until 1710 in my Austrian Campaign. Im playing on normal/normal, cause i hate the bonuses and the extra agressivenes the ai gets against the player, if i play on hard or very hard. In 1709 i conquered paris, nearily without any cost og problems. I turned back a revolt, but thats the only problem i had with it. I feels alittle to easy, and unrealistic that it was so easy to conquer Paris?? I don't now if its ment to be played on a harder level??
    Really like your work and effort to make this a better game.

Sorry my bad english :-)

Sixt

Actually, i have optimized ER4 for H/H settings, all AI bonuses were practically removed, only few are still there, mostly economy bonuses as AI is much less effective in this area (human player can usually optimize his economy to earn a lot of money each turn anyway), anyway its not that big, so if you damage their economy, they will feel it (and AI tend to ask for peace if you hurt their income too much)

Sixt's Avatar Civis

Sounds good, how about the extra agressivenes from the ai nations to declare war on human player?? is that still the same??
    But anyway, i think i will try it on h/h :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Actually, i have optimized ER4 for H/H settings, all AI bonuses were practically removed, only few are still there, mostly economy bonuses as AI is much less effective in this area (human player can usually optimize his economy to earn a lot of money each turn anyway), anyway its not that big, so if you damage their economy, they will feel it (and AI tend to ask for peace if you hurt their income too much)
    Thanks for confirming this as I was playing on normal/normal like Sixt.
    I will restart my campaign on H/H as well!

Agressivity is not an issue in ER4. Historical allies wont declare war on you, while your enemies will anyway..

Sixt's Avatar Civis

Sounds good, im in 1704 in a new austrian campaign, the ottomans just declared war on me, so no conquering france so soon ;-)
    Thanks for your work :-)

I've been playing Austria on medium campaign hard battles and the only French army I met was a halfstack that supported Rhineland against the Dutch. In the Americas however they're doing well against the British. So I guess the French AI believes it's in a good position even though they have no armies in Europe and I'm standing in Burgundy.

Jam, I can only Recruitsquads of 100 not 200 even though the starting ones are 200. What have I done wrong?

NVM. My script was still changed to 2. I would have thought verifying the catch would have reset that.

Artifex

Hi,

I have just tested ER4 on a German ETW version and immediately recognized some problems:
    1. When I deactivate "Fire at Will", those fools won't reload their weapons. So, shooting at an enemy when he comes close is impossible.
    2. My Prussian Jägers were shooting at an enemy. The problem: I deactivated "Fire at Will" + the enemy was out of the Jäger's range.
    3. The USA campaign is quite impossible to play due to the new recruitment changes for North America. I am not able to recruit new troops at all, although a quest wants me to do that.