Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Default Re: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Just started a game with France, though now I'm having some weird issues. It's my second turn and I just fought and won a battle against the netherlands, awesome battles by the way. The problem is that I can no longer move any army or navy that's sitting outside a city, even though they have movement points, and all my colonies in America are under FOW and are treated as mine, but i'm not making any income now.
    Rome > Darthmod Med2:K > SS6.4, Rule_Brittania, Broken Crescent Empire > Empire Realism Napoleon > Darthmod Shogun 2 > True Samurai, [WIP] Mettle Blades and Skills

Tired of changing steam Launcher options for Med 2/Kingdoms mods? use Kingdoms App Launcher

Funniest Thread in Rome 2 history: The new "you got the sandals wrong" thread.

thats weird, i'm playing as French right now, and no issues whatsoever.. Maybe something funky happened with your save that caused this..

With next version, there will be small adjustment to the campaign script - Americas colonies will be automatically given to AI nations slightly differently. British will "get" 13 Colonies around 1740, while French will reg Louisiana around 1720. Spanish will get New Spain around 1710. Purpose of this is to make British to have more interest about French Canada later, so they will focus on Caribbean area more.

Is it just me or the link from gamefront doesn't work? I tried to download the file but after that, a page appeared and said "this webpage is not found"..

you can download it from here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...70/ER4.3.1.rar

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3.1%203TPY.rar

second file is for 3 turns per year, just apply over the first ones.

There will be a new 4.4 version available soon, i'll try to upload it on various servers.

Ok thanks! Is this compatible with other mods such as Additional units mod? For extra units.

that's better, I think gamefont always have their links broken. Well anyways, looking forward to your 4.4 version and thanks for your time making this mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata Ode View Post
    Ok thanks! Is this compatible with other mods such as Additional units mod? For extra units.

that's better, I think gamefont always have their links broken. Well anyways, looking forward to your 4.4 version and thanks for your time making this mod!
    I think it is not really compatible with other unit mods since the status of those extra units may not be designed according to the battle mechanic of Empire Realism, such as range, fire power etc. I mean you may be able to use those units in game but there will be a risk of making the game imbalance.

exactly. they will have completely different stats compared to others.

Hmm, that's right. Anyways, thanks for letting me know.

small update on what i'm working on right now - I'm researching the regimental structure of major nations during 18.century, to create better proportional unit limits. Instead of just looking at number of regiments or battalions, i'm trying to search for actual number of men, so i could get better scale into the game - for example, British Infantry Regiments were usually just single battalion strong, having around 800men, while Austrian Line Infantry regiments usually had 3 combat and 1 reserve battalions with overall strength around 2500men. As you can see, counting British and Austrian regiment as the same would be a mistake..

Overall, i find using scale which allows larger number of units less challenging than opposite. If you have too many units available to recruit, you can have huge armies, and it doesn't hurt that much if you lose an army or two, as you can easily replace looses. With tighter unit limits, you have to be careful where you send your troops, who you are fighting against, and who are enemies potential allies - if they form an alliance against you, combined force of several countries might be too much for limited forces to handle.. While AI would not be capable killing you off, being weaker in numbers than AI, makes game challenging.

Another thing i'm finishing is mentioned naval damage model overhaul - some info about it - i have took real historical data about ships available to nations in 18.century time frame, and created a list of classes for each seafaring nation. Basic value i'm working with is tonnage of ships, which is transferred into game as Mass of the ship. Then, i'm using Mass value as a base for hull hit-points purposes. Practically, hull hitpoint value = Mass*2.

Then there is a hull armor, or resistance to damage. From historical sources i found info on solid shot penetration capabilities, but also on wooden hull resistance to damage (you would be quite surprised how resistant wooden hull structure was to damage - it was practically impossible to sink large ship with cannon fire).Per info, 12pdr gun was not able to penetrate hull of 74gun Ship of the Line unless point blank. Only guns bigger than 24pdr could do it reliably at effective range of naval guns (zeroed to 0, firing directly). So, for Hull armor value i have taken the 24pdr gun damage value and made it an average hull armor for 3rd rate ship, then scaled it down based on penetration info and ship mass value. This means, 1000t 4th rate has weaker armor than 1200t 4th rate, or what is more interesting, 800t 44gun doubledecker has weaker armor than 900t 32gun Frigate armed with 18pdr guns! So, from now on, you can just look at hull value to easily compare the ship resistance to damage.

Third value used for ships Hull is a critical hit chance resistance. (value 1 means 100% resistant to critical hits). Again, this value is linearly decreasing based on armor value, so again, larger ships with stronger hull will have better survival chances. Critical chance influences every hit you make - with high critical resistance, you only do damage to hull,but chance to cause crew casualty or taking out gun is minimal. With low Critical resistance, hits have higher chance to score crew kills or disable guns. And here comes major change - wooden hulls were structurally resistant, but penetrations usually went through, creating a lot of wooden splinters behind the hull even if hull itself was not critically damaged - This effect will be now much more visible - small ships have much smaller resistance to critical hits, which will make them lose men much faster with every hit. Even more significant will be area you are hitting. While ship sides will have quite good resistance (but not as high as before), prow will become more vulnerable, while any stern hits will be very nasty. firing broadside into enemy stern will produce huge casualties. Anyway now, as mentioned, prow will have low critical resistance as well (about half of the resistance of side hull), which means ships would receive a lot of damage if they try to break through enemy line - you would no longer be able to pull Nelson's touch and not get punished for it, if you dont have significantly strong leading ships. In my testing battles, 74gun third rate got usually knocked out of combat with half guns destroyed and crew killed just by trying to attack few 4th rates in the line (3 ships were firing), and while following ships were able to decide the battle, leading ship was requiring extensive repairs... so having 1st rate for this job is a must...

All this hull increase has single reason - i want to make AI ship survive more than they do right now. usually defeating enemy fleet results in all enemy ships sunk or captured. I'm even considering increasing hull values even more. Just so you know - vanilla ships had hull strength 50-300, with large ships 500-600. In my current build, 1st Rate hull strength is 4000, while 6rate Frigate is 900-1200. And i'm even considering doubling those values.
    Last edited by JaM; July 22, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

update: Small adjustment to infantry tech tree. Socket bayonet is now available earlier. While plug and Ring bayonets are in initial tech tier (requiring military encampment), socket is available with barracks, but also requires you have ring bayonet researched. French will start with ring bayonet, but will have hidden bonus for socket bayonet, so they will be able to research it quite early. other nations will have to spend more time on it..

I have also adjusted UI picture for Lighter muskets and Improved muskets (reusing UI musket icon from Warpath)

how Military Tech Tree looks right now:

Last edited by JaM; July 23, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

JaM
    Your latest set of additions are very appealing for both land and naval battle/campaign. This combined with changes to the tech will add to the depth and appeal of your mod.Are you planning this for the v4.4 release or will this come later?

yes, all this will be in 4.4 which i'm finalizing this week.

i will also try to add a script which would disable region trades between factions. Thing is, from info i got from scriptorama and other posts, it will have to be done unilateral for every faction, so practically i will have to add condition for each faction, comunicating to every faction in game.. which means a lot of work and copy/pasting.. anyway i will try to do it via excel functions, doing it manually would be very time consuming...
    Last edited by JaM; July 24, 2013 at 03:42 AM.

regarding region trade:

i dont want to disable it completely as region trade is vital for helping allies against their enemies. My goal is to disable AI to do the region trade, or even to bother player with ridiculous propositions. Therefore, playable factions will be still able to trade regions. Only minors will have it disabled, but playable faction will be able to trade regions with most of them anyway. Major factions will have disabled some most obvious anticlimactic trades, like for example with Barbary Pirates, or trades across the continent (Spanish buying Courtland, etc...) here i will consider usual zone of interest of major factions and disable trade of regions that have no historical sense.

weird, I've got another missing page from the links,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	287068

yeah, Dropbox only allows limited amount of public downloads, i will be releasing new version soon, with links on more public servers. I'm finishing changelog right now.

that's why. Great!

Just excited to try.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Question : what would happen if

• France is allowed to trade region ;
    • Bavaria is not allowed to trade region ;
    • Bavaria own Savoy ;
    • France own Austria ;

and then :

1. France propose Bavaria to exchange Austria with Savoy.
    2. France propose Bavaria to buy Savoy ;
    3. France propose Bavaria to give it Austria ;

Will Bavaria able to trade region with France ?

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

In all these examples, only France should be able to initiate the trade. It wont be possible for Bavaria to ask for region. But France will be able to do all these exchanges without limitations. At least that is the plan. Its quite new addition, and i need to test it out with major factions a bit.

With ER, only standard factions are playable. All unplayable factions will be not able to initiate region trade. Also playable factions will be only able to trade regions with their historical allies or neighbors. Intention is to prevent Russia to trade its land with Cherokee or Hurons ( i've saw this happened few times), or for example Swedes buying Tunisia from Barbary Pirates. Anyway Sweden will be still able to trade regions with Denmark, Norway, Russia, Prussia, Poland and other neighbors in the area. just not the other way around. (minor wont be able to ask or give regions on its own)
    Last edited by JaM; July 24, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata Ode View Post
    that's why. Great!

Just excited to try.

its quite a challenge to find a good server where i could upload the mod.. Graphic part is just too big for TWC Download page, so i have to use external storage, and my usual options dont work for some people so it looks like i will have to find something that works for everybody and keeps the files available long enough