Thread: Laptop Display Issue

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Default Laptop Display Issue

Hey guys,

I have a 2 year old Malibal Satori P170HM built 6/24/2011 {Win7x64 machine running on a i7-2720QM @2.2GHz with 12 GB ram. Geforce GTX 560M 17.3" 1920x1080 Glossy}

When I press on a certain spot on the machine the display goes "fuzzy" with green and blue pixelation, depending on what's being displayed. The spot is consistently located a bit to the left of the LShift/Caplock and inconsistently to the lower left of the LCtrl/LAlt. Duration is intermittent, but tapping or lightly shaking the machine seems to make it go away.

If I'm at the boot logo, the entire screen is bright green to the point you can't see much of the logo, and in Windoze the dark areas of a window turn greenish and light areas just appear as if view through a skewed lens with pixel color based on the colors behind them.

Today is the first time it's happened.

I keep it on a cooling pad at all times when it's on, internal fans are clean. Haven't run a temp monitor lately, but this happens even on a cold restart at the desktop. Rebooting and running in safe mode did nothing to help.

I'm hoping one of you guys will tell me it's something simple like a loose cable or something.

Screenshots don't show the pixelation.
    Last edited by xcorps; February 26, 2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed a screenshot
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Laptop Display Issue

Looks broken (the Monitor), like it has been dropped onto the floor or hit hard by something.

I would consult the manual, technical support and/or supplier support you purchased from.

It's very possible that when you open it up, there's a cable similar to this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Which isn't sitting properly in it's plug. If you're at all handy, you can try pulling the laptop apart and checking all the plugs.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

I can no longer get it to make the issue. Is it possible a hot neutral reverse in the outlet could cause someting like this? I doubt it, but I had some problems with a Dish Network Hopper that the technician blamed on HNR, and we found about half the outlets in the house were in fact reversed. I don't recall checking that particular outlet.

Don't have the free time and space needed to open the laptop today, have to be tomorrow.
    Last edited by xcorps; February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

there are 4 possible things, lvds cable (or whatever cable that they use, maybe edp, but pretty sure its a 40 pin lvds for your model), monitor crapping out (if you got the high gamut screen they sell for around 70-100), mobo connector for the monitor, or the gpu

in terms of cooling the 560m must be really cool in that machine, afterall its made for a 100w tdp card and the 560m aint that hot at all. So overheating problems are very nill.

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes