Thread: A proper thanks

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default A proper thanks

Dear Seki team,

I realized that I never properly thanked you for releasing this great mod! You see, it was Sekigahara mod, with its emphasis on atmosphere without greatly changing vanilla, that held my hand through my first Total War campaign victory since Medieval 2! And what a victory it was. Your strict time limits and warlike pace set my triple alliance of Honda (me), Tokugawa, and Ii on a grand conquest that would reverberate through the ages.

The campaign was months ago, but I still remember the moment like it was yesterday. The moment when I realized, "wait... I might actually win this." I hadn't planned a strict campaign from the beginning, but by the year 1595, I saw my chance. From that moment, I planned every move for the next five years. I would betray my liege, Tokugawa, and seize his great castle at Edo. My son Tadamasa would sail a great fleet to kick the Otani out of northern Honshu. There would be rebellion, there would be blood, there would be tears, but by Bishamon, I would force my inferiors to declare me Shogun on the very year 1600.

Great battles were fought, rebellions were suffered, and lands were shifted. Despite exceedingly good news from Tadamasa in the north, Tokugawa proved strong, and I lost ground in the south. Only by valiant aid from my steadfast ally, Ii Naomasa, did I withstand the tide of Ieyasu's vengeful armies turn after turn. I could almost hear Ieyasu laughing at me as he kept his great stack locked inside his castle walls at Edo, daring me to assault. The turns dwindled, and I began to despair. My grand army, hardened by victory but diminished by war, was rendered merely equivalent to Tokugawa's. I could commit to assault Edo, but then I wouldn't have enough time to take Izu. The final Autumn approached, and for a moment, all seemed lost... "What would a great commander do?"

"What," I thought, "would Honda do?"

As I contemplated surrendering my chances and consolidating my lands, it hit me. I would divide my southern force against Tokugawa's superior army. With one half, I would lay ambush just outside Suruga's gates. With the other, I would assault Izu by boat and evade the small field army in between. With luck, Tokugawa would take the bait and rush to Izu's defense. The alternative was the utter destruction of my entire southern force, and dishonor for the Honda name.

The ploy would decide the fate of Japan. Tokugawa's army, sure of victory and hot with contempt, was taken by complete surprise. Like lightning, rifles fired from the trees, brave ashigaru charged, and cavalry pursued. In the span of an evening, the entire Tokugawa army was annhilated by a force half its size. That winter, Izu surrendered to the siege, and the ambushers marched into Edo unopposed.

End turn.

In the year 1600, on the very last possible turn, I achieved victory. I was treated to the end credits from my Kessen music mod (also inspired by Seki) that I'd wondered if I would ever hear. A perfect ending!
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; February 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Default Re: A proper thanks

This was a short but very fun story to read, can't wait till i finish my very first campaign in total war, although i have many of hundred hours of gameplay i could never get myself to finishing one though, so in a few days i will have my victory, one way or another.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: A proper thanks

Thank you MagicCuboid, as a humble member of the team, we are thrilled that you have embodied well our ethos.

Thinking like Sengoku Jidai characters. All we need now is our warfan to twirl around when playing the in the computer, then waving them maniacally when the flank is in trouble. Like somehow our sheer will and frantic warfan waving will contribute to the morale of the ashigaru thrown in, to plug that gap.

Oh and the music mod. We almost considered using speeches from Kessen as well, or was it another Koei game, but due to copyright issues. Oh well.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII