View Poll Results: Do you plan on buying R2 at release?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 16.74%
  • No

31 13.30%
  • I plan on pre-ordering

135 57.94%
  • not sure

28 12.02%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Buying game at release

SleepySteve's Avatar Tiro

Default Buying game at release

I am curious how many of you are planning on buying R2 at release? (I imagine an overwhelming majority will)

I am not planning on it, as I am expecting a rather large amount of DLC content to be released, such as factions, blood packs (LMAO), etc etc... Which in my opinion should have been in the base game (refer to previous titles).

I have always bought the games at release but I am far from a fan of these DLC oriented marketing strategies... Also I want to wait to see if the game is buggy/playable on release. I think I will wait for a few months after release and see how things pan out.

Out of curiosity how many of you are feeling this way as well?

Decanus

Default Re: Buying game at release

I will pre-order the **** out of it

Well, it depends on what game it is and which developer made it.

I will never pre-order, buy on release date an Activision/EA/Ubisoft game.

But Total War is my favorite franchise, and CA one of my top 5 developers. Depending on what pre-order incentives they use, i might choose to wait and buy it at release day. But i think i will pre-order the game because there are high chances the pre-order bonus is 1 or 2 factions.

should've made a poll.....and i think i'll buy the game on release and maybe pre-order only if my rig is updated by then...lets hope it is
    Quote Originally Posted by George Orwell
    “Shall the common man be pushed back into the mud, or shall he not? I myself believe, perhaps on insufficient grounds, that the common man will win his fight sooner or later, but I want it to be sooner and not later—some time within the next hundred years, say, and not some time within the next ten thousand years. That was the real issue of the Spanish war, and of the last war, and perhaps of other wars yet to come.”

SleepySteve's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by oppaiO_O View Post
    should've made a poll.....and i think i'll buy the game on release and maybe pre-order only if my rig is updated by then...lets hope it is
    You are right I should have! Never done that before, can it be added?

Edit: NM I found it, and added a poll. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Last edited by SleepySteve; February 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Definitely pre-ordering it for sure. Can't wait to see what kind of pre-order bonus I'll get too.

Serkelet's Avatar Ordinarius

Pre-order. I had tones of fun with every single Total War game I played since the first Shogun. And this one is going to be as fun or more.

Likely pre-order. Not 100 percent sure, but...well.. yes i am 100 percent sure really...lol
    "I will say it again, there are no bugs in this game. No melee bug, no formation bug, no suicidal general bug, nothing."

M2TWRocks, when speaking of N:TW (Source)

Antalis's Avatar Civitate

I will never again buy a TW game on release day. I ALWAYS had the feeling, after a few months that I should have waited for a Gold edition. If I buy it on release I have to pay for the game itshelf and later for DLCs to have a game with all features. Never again.

Pre-order? Total war game? Instant win.

Pre-order? No. I remember how we were supposed to be able to pre-load Empire and didn't find out we wouldn't be able to until the game was released. I was left with a little bit of sting after that, but I still bought it day one just like all the other Total War games. Rome 2 is a definite day-one purchase.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

By it on release date or as soon as the retail reached my country, which is usually within 2 weeks of worldwide release. As of DLCs whatsoever it's always when iut 75%off on Steam. No hurry in there. The main thing is that I can play as Rome as soon as possible.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wothan View Post
    I will pre-order the **** out of it
    After Alien Colonial Marines, I will NEVER pre-order a game if my life... I could just have used the 50 dollars as toilet paper.

Anyway, probably gonna buy Rome 2 (so 1-0 to CA/EA) even thought the total was games will always lack of longterm gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    After Alien Colonial Marines, I will NEVER pre-order a game if my life... I could just have used the 50 dollars as toilet paper.
    Difficult to contradict that, the gameplay videoes i've seen of it is...well.. bad
    Anyway, probably gonna buy Rome 2 (so 1-0 to CA/EA) even thought the total was games will always lack of longterm gameplay.
    Always lacks lomgterm gameplay ? hey now... i have 1100 hours on ETW....lol (granted, most of that with mods)
    "I will say it again, there are no bugs in this game. No melee bug, no formation bug, no suicidal general bug, nothing."

M2TWRocks, when speaking of N:TW (Source)

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Rolf can't believe I'm the only "not sure" xD.

Come on guys... where is your critical spirit? 80% of you plan to have the game at release and the only thing you know about the product is that there are 8 factions and that iceni are in xD What if the game sucks?

I typically never buy games when they are first released. I wait until they go on sale or if a gold version is released. There have been few exceptions (SC2, GW2 and a couple others).

That being said, I've never bought a TW game when first released (Rome - FoTS). I will though be getting Rome 2 via pre-order for a multitude of reasons. One being I enjoy the era blah blah blah but more importantly for the changes/additions CA are making. Ambushes, capture points, fleshed out factions, mixing naval and ground, reducing the amount of siege battles (hopefully), the work Jack Lusted is doing and so on. All of which I could ever hope for.

Seeing as most of the focus appears to be on battles, I'll probably still be disappointed on the campaign side of things. We'll see..

No matter how broken this game is at release I will buy it. CA will no doubt put maximal effort into patching up the game like they always do.
    I voted preorder in case they add some odd factions into the preorder pack. Also it will allow me to download the game 24 hours before release which I will need with my slightly poor internet connection.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidDragon View Post
    Difficult to contradict that, the gameplay videoes i've seen of it is...well.. bad
    I guess you didn't play the demo? Anyway, ACM was a BIG disappointment!

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidDragon View Post
    Always lacks lomgterm gameplay ? hey now... i have 1100 hours on ETW....lol (granted, most of that with mods)
    Yeah, VANILLA have always lack longterm gameplay in my opinion. Cant say so much about shogun 1 and medieva 1 as I didnt play them much but when it comes to rome, mediaval 2, empire, napoleon and shogun 2, these cant be played over a long time over and over and over again because they lack the advance AI setup which makes the game very borring over time. Even with mods you will still see the AI suffering during the game as the modders have game limitation. This is making the game easy. I'm very grateful for moders like DarthVader for actually making the total war game fun/challenging but the games should have been this on release or with become like this eventully with patches.

The only reason the AI is slightly challenging in vanilla is due to "cheats" which CA gave the AI to make the game hard, the higher difficulty the more cheat they got. If the AI gets random FULLSTACK armys at your borderline which acts a kamikaze (we have all seen how the vanilla AI attacks) army with HIGH MORAL BONUS, this will cripple your army and set you back but this is just so wrong in my opinion.

But beside these cheats, you will still have MANY loopholes where the AI total lacks tactic and action depending on your movement which again becomes their doom, like leaving impotent settlement defenseless even thought your army are in visible sight for the AI and maching against them. This should tell them to gather their army to defend you but their army is just scattering all over campaign map ect.

This part of the game have never been a high priority from CA as the "crowd" mostly care about eye candy and color. I think blizzard spoiled the gameworld with heir MASSIVE support for WoW, okey people paid a monthly fee to maintain this good support but this tells us that CA really just want you to buy the game. If you only play it for 1 hour, who cares? They have got their profit and are happy and can work on their next Total War game with even better graphic which 90% of the crowd will love and just waiting to buy on release.

Anyway, as I said. I will buy the game anyway so 1-0 to CA.
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; February 24, 2013 at 03:06 AM.

ill Pre order on steam, and grab a boxed copy for my shelf.

I guess you didn't play the demo? Anyway, ACM was a BIG disappointment!

Yeah, VANILLA have always lack longterm gameplay in my opinion. Cant say so much about shogun 1 and medieva 1 as I didnt play them much but when it comes to rome, mediaval 2, empire, napoleon and shogun 2, these cant be played over a long time over and over and over again because they lack the advance AI setup which makes the game very borring over time. Even with mods you will still see the AI suffering during the game as the modders have game limitation. This is making the game easy.

The only reason the AI is slightly challenging in vanilla is due to "cheats" which CA gave the AI to make the game hard, the higher difficulty the more cheat they got. If the AI gets random FULLSTACK armys at your borderline which acts a kamikaze (we have all seen how the vanilla AI attacks) army with HIGH MORAL BONUS, this will cripple your army and set you back but this is just so wrong in my opinion.

But beside these cheats, you will still have MANY loopholes where the AI total lacks tactic and action depending on your movement which again becomes their doom, like leaving impotent settlement defenseless even thought your army are in visible sight for the AI and maching against them. This should tell them to gather their army to defend you but their army is just scattering all over campaign map ect.

This part of the game have never been a high priority from CA as the "crowd" mostly care about eye candy and color. I think blizzard spoiled the gameworld with heir MASSIVE support for WoW, okey people paid a monthly fee to maintain this good support but this tells us that CA really just want you to buy the game. If you only play it for 1 hour, who cares? They have got their profit and are happy and can work on their next Total War game with even better graphic which 90% of the crowd will love and just waiting to buy on release.
    You know the AI in every game outside RTS games and FPS games gets a advantage. The only reason they do not get them in those two is because speed in its self is a advantage and since the pc can do anything at will while the player takes time to do so they need no advantage. With games like total war you will not (barring a massive advancement in tech) see a AI capable of taking a player on in any realistic fashion without extra help. If they were to try and make a AI that could stand up to a human player for as complex a game as this they would take years in writing the code and on top of that require every player to own a damn server network to run the game, which obviously wouldn't sell well lol.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast