Thread: Austrian-Hungarian military organization

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

Default Austrian-Hungarian military organization

I have to admit that I haven't started this thread for the sake of general military organization of A-H army but cause of one particular field: logistics.
    I've been studying A-H military for quite some time but one thing I still didn't figure out is how were the logistics units were organized on divisional and corps level? From what I could conclude is that various logistic units and services weren't organizationally attached to particular divisions but rather to their respective corps, just like in German army.
    For example in WW1 German army each army corps had: 2 munitions column sections ( 4 infantry and 9 artillery munitions columns ), 1 foot artillery munitions column section ( 8 columns ), 2 train sections ( 12 field hospitals, 6 supply columns, 7 vehicle park columns, 2 horse depots, 2 field bakeries ).
    http://books.google.rs/books?id=RA8Z...page&q&f=false
    I suspect that A-H logistics was similarly organized, but I need to know the exact names of units and their numbers, including the men. Of course my questions refers to war time organization of the above, not the peace time organization which was completely other story. In that sense I urge to all possible posters to refrain themselves from quoting wiki, both English and German, cause articles there on trains refers to peace time organization.
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Austrian-Hungarian military organization

The "federal" army was quite small and underfunded, you should look for the organisation of the Austrian and Hungarian armies. Yep they also had separate armies.

You aren't much enlightening. Do you think I would ask about support troops of A-H army corps if I didn't know the entire army organization in detail?
    Also one small information, after the mobilization the deference tween KuK, KK and KU army ceased to exist cause they all formed one army under one supreme command, the difference only remained in names of the units from division downward. As for the army corps they were formed of 1-2 kuk ( ''federal '' ) divisions and 1-2 kk or ku ( '' austrian '' and ''hungarian'' ) divisions, the corps itself being ''federal ''. In peace time there weren't any separate austrian or hungarian army corps, they were all '' federal '', just like in war time.
    Last edited by clandestino; February 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

While not exactly what you are searching for, maybe you'll find some helpful information here (in case you haven't already found this site already):
    http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/sources.htm

Or in the OOBs section:
    http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/orb14.htm

I know that site quite well, unfortunately it's all about combatant units and the sources mostly aren't available on line. But thanks anyway.