Thread: I need some help with RS 2.5, I'm new and have some questions

Default I need some help with RS 2.5, I'm new and have some questions

I accidentally posted this in the vanilla RTW page but I'm reposting it here:

"So far I love this mod, but I've ran into some problems or things I don't understand.

Q: For metal imports do I need to build a mineral import first?

Q: What is the difference between Pop. growth measures and suburbs via towns cities etc.. thing, I mean isn't the growth measures for to maintain a steady population, lets say I don't want a lot of people in my city, is this for it? Also about the suburbs thing they make the city or town have more hygiene? So what's best, if I want to not have a huge population but be roman (civilized)?

Q: What's the difference between annex and allied states? I want to make all my cities on roman peninsula annex because isn't annex like truly roman?

Q: I've captured Scyracuse of whatever it is called and they have a lot of greek building built there, like army barracks hoarse things, like the top best but I can't raise men their? Also I make army rations and like metal imports and everything so now I can recruit all of the available units except for triarii? Why can't I recruit them or are they only recruitable in Rome, and since I want annex cities they're Polybian Legionaries not allied states or anything, but in like Arretium and Ariminum I found out that I can make level 2 allied barracks I think to recruit allied triarii and all available units plus like local celtic units, so um what do I do? Can I recruit triarii non allied units outside of Rome?

Q: After the Marian reforms were do I recruit local auxiliary units??? And all other units? Does it matter what state the province is? Annex or allied?

Q: So when I can start recruiting historical legions like the hispania I or whatever, like the hispania I legion (I guessing it is a legion in this game), are they recruitable from only one city/province in all of Iberia/Spain??? Or what? If it is that way is their a map showing what regions recruit which historical legions?? Please give me a link to it, hope this wasn't too much."

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Default Re: I need some help with RS 2.5, I'm new and have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Dias View Post
    Q: I've captured Scyracuse of whatever it is called and they have a lot of greek building built there, like army barracks hoarse things, like the top best but I can't raise men their? Also I make army rations and like metal imports and everything so now I can recruit all of the available units except for triarii? Why can't I recruit them or are they only recruitable in Rome, and since I want annex cities they're Polybian Legionaries not allied states or anything, but in like Arretium and Ariminum I found out that I can make level 2 allied barracks I think to recruit allied triarii and all available units plus like local celtic units, so um what do I do? Can I recruit triarii non allied units outside of Rome?

Q: After the Marian reforms were do I recruit local auxiliary units??? And all other units? Does it matter what state the province is? Annex or allied?

Q: So when I can start recruiting historical legions like the hispania I or whatever, like the hispania I legion (I guessing it is a legion in this game), are they recruitable from only one city/province in all of Iberia/Spain??? Or what? If it is that way is their a map showing what regions recruit which historical legions?? Please give me a link to it, hope this wasn't too much."

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...OR-(completed)

When conquering a region it is advised to right click some of the buildings to find out if they give any bonuses to law and/or public order. Certain buildings like the Tax scroll and barbarian barracks actually decrease law and/or happiness, u can demolish those to increase happiness and/or law, other buildings like the Wise Man's cabin, temples or the Greek barracks are neutral and add nothing, u can demolish those as well to decrease the culture penalty.

As by your example, to train Triarrii outside Rome u need a number of things; Army Rations, metal import to build a blacksmith (if the region doesnt have a mine), Annex the region and grand it citizenship, u'll also need tier 1 Tribal Justice.

Regardless of the route u choose, both allied and annexed regions are eligible for citizenship if u deem them worthy of such honors, there is a building browser in game that lets u explore the various paths.
    Last edited by Drowsy; February 25, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...OR-(completed)

When conquering a region it is advised to right click some of the buildings to find out if they give any bonuses to law and/or public order. Certain buildings like the Tax scroll and barbarian barracks actually decrease law and/or happiness, u can demolish those to increase happiness and/or law, other buildings like the Wise Man's cabin, temples or the Greek barracks are neutral and add nothing, u can demolish those as well to decrease the culture penalty.

As by your example, to train Triarrii outside Rome u need a number of things; Army Rations, metal import to build a blacksmith (if the region doesnt have a mine), Annex the region and grand it citizenship, u'll also need tier 1 Tribal Justice.

Regardless of the route u choose, both allied and annexed regions are eligible for citizenship if u deem them worthy of such honors, there is a building browser in game that lets u explore the various paths.
    Wow thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Pop growth will make your population growth rate rise will suburbs and towns will decrease your pop ( i almost never use the latter). The higher population you have the more money you will make. Annexed regions will give you republican units whilst allied will give you allied units.

These pictures will help you out a lot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Post Hoc View Post
    Pop growth will make your population growth rate rise will suburbs and towns will decrease your pop ( i almost never use the latter). The higher population you have the more money you will make. Annexed regions will give you republican units whilst allied will give you allied units.

These pictures will help you out a lot:

Hey in the second pic are the republican units the annex ones? I mean is this chart for after the marian reforms??? And lol who are the Antesignani, well overall this chart doesn't seem to make a lot of the left hand side, oh well also how do I play as other nations for the 1 turn recruitment? I clicked on One-turn Campaigns and it doesn't work, it's like the whole of "One-turn Campaigns" is bugged, not even the custom battles or anything will work!

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

When you capture a city, make sure you destroy the import precious metals facility. If you don't you will never get offered the import weapons metals builder without which you can't get to build the legion recruiting bldgs. If more than 24 bldgs exist in the settlement, you will have to destroy non-essential facilities until you can uncover the unseen facilities to see that you either have the precious metals or already have weapons metal import built. In about half my cases, the weapons import fac had already been built and there was no explanation why the building tree locked out the legion buildings except that in the bldg browser there were obvious errors like citizenship not being offered because a market hadn't been built when the market chain had already been built out to a forum. Frustrating.

Then I read a post that said when you conquer a province you need to destroy the market as well even if it's all the way built out because when you build the recruiting buildings and try to recruit, it looks to see if you have a Roman market and if you don't it locks you out.

It took me two campaigns to finally get this sorted out.

Then I read a post from Tone that said there are certain settlements that will never come up as recruiting centers because of a known fault in the original RTW code that can't be fixed. It has something to do with the program failing to see that a needed resource is present. Thankfully there aren't many of these; one such is Thebas in Egypt.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow