The year is AD 365. Julian is dead. The two brothers,Valentinian and Valens have divided the Roman Empire in two parts with Valentinian in the west and Valens in the east. In 365 Procopius, dead Julian's cousin usurps the throne in Constantinople with the support of several legions. Valens is in a difficult position. The Goths have allied themselves to Procopius by invading Moesia. In the east, the Sassanid Empire grows stronger by the day and seems to be preparing an invasion of the undefended province of Syria. Valens is in trouble, he puts everything on the dice and leaves Syria to face Procopius on the far away battlefields of Asia Minor, Thrace, Macedonia, and Greece. His brother cannot help him, with the Franks, Alamanni, The Vandals, and The Quadi attacking him Valentinian may be in an even worse position than his younger brother. Valens is on his own. With no one to help him, and just several Legions and bands of mercenaries that are willing to fight for him, Valens must win back his throne and show to all those unwashed Barbarians, foolish usurpers, and those bearded dress-wearing Persians who are they dealing with!

This will be my first AAR. I have been thinking about it for a while now. I'm a dedicated SAI player since 2009 and I have been reading all those wonderful AAR's. In school, I have always been the best at writing things so I decided to give this a shot. I will be playing a Valens campaign on Hard campaign difficulty and medium battle difficulty. I have chosen this campaign because by this time,as the title says, the Empire is in deep trouble. For almost two centuries now,the Empire has suffered a series of disasters, defeats,and incompetent emperors who have failed in preserving the Empire. As I am a fan of "What if" scenarios I was thinking, "What if Valens united the Empire under his rule, What if he defeated the Goths at Adrianople?" and so I decided to go with the Valens campaign. I should get to writing now. I hope that you will enjoy the AAR and I hope that I will be able to finish it.

So help me God and as one wise man named Knonfoda once said (wrote ) : "Let the carnage begin!"