Thread: Why does the attacker ai in siege battles never use siege towers/battering rams?

Default Why does the attacker ai in siege battles never use siege towers/battering rams?

I've been trying to reenact the battle for minas tirith but it's kinda hard. First of all the ai never seems to use battering rams or siege towers, they just blow holes in the walls and leave all the other siege equipment behind and mass charge through these two little holes in the wall. And this is hard difficulty I'm talking about here.
    Is there some sort of trick to make them use siege equipment? Other then taking away their catapults and ballistas I mean.

Also one other question, is there a collection of historical battles that I can download that use the new settlements? That would be great.

cheers

P.S. I'm more a custom battle guy then a campaign guy, I almost never touch the campaign in Total War games.

Default Re: Why does the attacker ai in siege battles never use siege towers/battering rams?

"Why does the attacker ai in siege battles never use siege towers/battering rams?"

Because the AI is stupid.

That's all there is to it.

"they just blow holes in the walls and leave all the other siege equipment behind and mass charge through these two little holes in the wall"

That's what it does in all mods.

Maybe Germanicu5 was able to change that in his Battle AI.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Why does the attacker ai in siege battles never use siege towers/battering rams?

I don't know about for Minas Tirith but in AOR 2.3 Ive seen the enemy use siege towers although since its usually me on the attack I dont see it very often.

I have seen the ai use siege towers before but that only occurred when the siege lasted more than one turn. Usually the ai will attack me immediately one turn after the siege has begun, and ladders are the quickest to build and may have been the only engines to be built. That could partially explain why no siege towers were used.

As for the rams, I have no clue.

the only solution I have for you would be to tweak the attack of the catas to do little to no damage to buildings. that way they'll be forced to fire at you until they run out of ammo, and then use their actual siege machines.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Or, you know, don't give them catapults...

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    Or, you know, don't give them catapults...
    orks without catapults?

Pish posh sir... Pish posh of the highest order

Miles

Heh... When i get attacked, the Orcs is blasting my walls with catapults. Then they storm to holes and use ladders/towers to storm the other walls. I was quite surprissed when it did that the first time, but it gave me a challenge
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

They do use siege weapon, my problem is that THEY never go into siege battle, they just wait until the town surrenders (if they attack my settlement at all). If you try and counter attack them while they are sieging you, they just run away on the battlemap to the outer part of the map and just stands there so my ranged unit easily can pick them down.

AI is stupid, always have been in the TW series This "feature" is making the game very very easy :-/

ash874's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgore View Post
    I've been trying to reenact the battle for minas tirith but it's kinda hard. First of all the ai never seems to use battering rams or siege towers, they just blow holes in the walls and leave all the other siege equipment behind and mass charge through these two little holes in the wall. And this is hard difficulty I'm talking about here.
    Is there some sort of trick to make them use siege equipment? Other then taking away their catapults and ballistas I mean.

Also one other question, is there a collection of historical battles that I can download that use the new settlements? That would be great.

cheers

P.S. I'm more a custom battle guy then a campaign guy, I almost never touch the campaign in Total War games.

first of all to answer the question asked in the op: why would the AI use siege towers and rams if he already punched holes in your walls...? nothing stupid about that

Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    They do use siege weapon, my problem is that THEY never go into siege battle, they just wait until the town surrenders (if they attack my settlement at all). If you try and counter attack them while they are sieging you, they just run away on the battlemap to the outer part of the map and just stands there so my ranged unit easily can pick them down.

AI is stupid, always have been in the TW series This "feature" is making the game very very easy :-/
    as for what you describe in this post that i quoted: never happened to me
    you have a bug. possibly from conflicting AI submods or something
    i repeat, i play this game extensively and it never ever happened

and last point: the AI of third age is not stupid and has never been at least when compared to any other mod out there
    i recently started using the "very bad AI" submod and i can say i have no complaints about any AI issues there too

im almost sure you have a bug

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

it only happened to me with the original M2TW, normally what they did was to remain within a shot range from my walls, so that I could slay many before actually salling out.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Th AI do use siege weapons when I play Third Age (MOS). Like when once the Silvan Elves attacked Dol Guldur (Mordor), they used every piece of Siege Equipment to breach my walls. This also happened when I was playing Isengard and Rohan besieged Helm's Deep after I captured it.

It IS stupid because what basically happens every siege battle, is the ai focuses entirely on the catapults shooting holes through walls and then mass charging the ENTIRE army through those holes. What do I do? What happens is every siege battle is essentially a mosh pit of two giant army's standing on either side of the hole one trying to keep the other out, the other trying to get in. And I always win when it comes to that, because it's THEM trying to get in the city and I can just stand there with my spear men and they just run into it. What Mordor did in Return of the King is basically virtually impossible in TA. Which sucks but I understand that ai is just not versatile enough to that.

Anyway, are there some historical battles I can download that set up the battles for me? I remember there being a Battle for Middle Earth HB someone made but I can't find it.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

the AI doesn't understand choke points that's for sure , but before that if i had catapults the only reason i would use siege towers is to get rid of archers because you are at quite the disadvantage if you scale the walls were there infantry is located

I also play with MOS and have noted the tendency too either extend the siege, or too come in a rush using the bulk of their siege equipment. I rarely await assault though and sally often. A real surprise for me is when they turned and assaulted the city while I was attacking them. I was completely unprepared for this, and suffered for it.

Ive seen the enemy use siege towers although since its usually me on the attack I dont see it very often.

This only happens me when i play TA
    Works well in other mods

Quote Originally Posted by affpvzta View Post
    Ive seen the enemy use siege towers although since its usually me on the attack I dont see it very often.
    Its like you ctrl + v 'd the words right out of my mouth

Korgoth's Avatar Laetus

I find the AI is really ********* up in attacking seiges. Lots of wasted seige equipment. And the AI never ever retreats, when the AI route they just stand there...

Quote Originally Posted by ash874 View Post

im almost sure you have a bug
    I'm sure he doesn't. This has happened to me every time I've counter attacked a besieging force, Very bad AI or no Very Bad AI.