24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I play lotro

9 37.50%
  • I do not play lotro

15 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the rings online

Default Lord of the rings online

who on this forum plays Lord of the rings online?

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Default Re: Lord of the rings online

*raises hand* Been playing since beta.
    Last edited by brasswire; February 28, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

nice what server?

I played it for a while but got tired of it quite fast.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Normally we discourage threads that are not related to TATW, but since the forums have not been very active lately I think we can allow this one.

I used to play a lot on Vilya server I believe, I haven't played in a long time though.

Quote Originally Posted by total relism View Post
    nice what server?
    Arkenstone and Riddermark.

For me, it's both one of the better free MMOs and one of the better Tolkien games out there.

I played lotro for about 15 minutes, before I decided I was wating my time.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

I've a lifetime subscription, but I left the game since the F2P and its store invader which destroys immersion. Tolkien would hate it also.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    I've a lifetime subscription, but I left the game since the F2P and its store invader which destroys immersion. Tolkien would hate it also.
    im pretty sure the lore-rape would piss off Tolkien even more XD

Lore-rape? The game is true to the lore every step of the way. If by lore-rape you mean 'there are things in the game not mentioned in the book' then that's not really a problem? Changes like there being people giving out quests in the lone lands have to be made. Otherwise it'd be a boring singleplayer rpg hack and slash and not an MMO.

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Lol. One word, the map. Lore-fail.

Anyway, I tried to get into it, but I am a bit of a graphics freak, and the pop-in of everything (especially trees and grass) on max DX11 settings was unbearable for me. Guild Wars 2 is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    Lol. One word, the map. Lore-fail.

Anyway, I tried to get into it, but I am a bit of a graphics freak, and the pop-in of everything (especially trees and grass) on max DX11 settings was unbearable for me. Guild Wars 2 is far better.
    Agree GW2 has much better graphics, it's also 4-5 years newer. LoTRO still has pretty decent graphics IMHO.

Not sure what you mean about the map.

Quote Originally Posted by brasswire View Post
    Arkenstone and Riddermark.

For me, it's both one of the better free MMOs and one of the better Tolkien games out there.
    I play arkenstone as well, your still active?.

Quote Originally Posted by Voronwë View Post
    Lore-rape? The game is true to the lore every step of the way. If by lore-rape you mean 'there are things in the game not mentioned in the book' then that's not really a problem? Changes like there being people giving out quests in the lone lands have to be made. Otherwise it'd be a boring singleplayer rpg hack and slash and not an MMO.
    pretty sure there weren't any Nazgul up north at the time...at all, and yet theyre raid bosses? and the entire opening quest chains are screwed up. and this isn't lore-related, but I just thought id mention, bards/musicians/whatever, are the most retarded concepts ever. who the hell wants to play a video game where their character strums on a lute to give his group buffs? ugh...it astounds me what the developers thought were good ideas.

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Not just graphics, gameplay especially. Questing is better. I like the world of Middle-Earth more, but then LOTRO failed in many aspects to represent it properly, thus why I said the map is a lore-fail. Just look at the bree-land map, Archet in a valley around hills with the Chetwood east and north of it? Thorin's Halls in the upper part of the range? Angmar is messed up. I mean look at this: http://www.thebrasse.com/maps/lotro_gamemap_angmar.jpg

Then look at this: http://imaginarywars.files.wordpress...r-close-up.jpg

Makes no sense. Also, the way they split of zones is terrible. When making a new world/universe/map, it is justified to make mountains be the barrier between zones. But when you have existing material you change your engine/method/design to fit it. Why are there massive hills everywhere to split up the zones? Why do they change they then change the structure of the world to fit the hills, instead of just adding hills to the world?

I Use to play in the Riddermark Server but I stop playing almost like 2 years ago.

honestly I find SWTOR a lot more fun than LOTRO...and that's saying a lot.

Minstrels are a good idea because in the game health is called morale, so a minstrel plays to raise morale of the group. Which fits well in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrael View Post
    pretty sure there weren't any Nazgul up north at the time...at all, and yet theyre raid bosses?
    I think the only Nazgul "raid boss" in the game is in Dol Guldur, which is perfectly lore appropriate. The Nazgul are also active around Breeland and Rivendell early in the game, which is in line with the novels.

They do have to "make stuff up" sometimes in order to flesh out the world and have enough quests/enemies/story to keep people's interest. But they try very hard not to contradict the lore and to remain within the spirit of the novels. In many ways it's quite similar to TATW in that regard. Most of the units in the mod are never seen or described within the lore, they had to be invented, but they are necessary for the game and for the most part they fit well and make sense with what we know of the world.
    Last edited by brasswire; March 01, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

I played on Snowborne but then my intire Kinship left so I'm lonley now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast